Dunlop Brick and Fulltone 69 problem...HELP!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by drcarr, Dec 17, 2005.

1. drcarr

drcarr Member

i have a dunlop brick to power all my pedals. the 69 requires a positive tip power cable. as recommended i tried cutting and reversing one of the cables that came with the brick, but it did not power up the pedal.

does anyone know where i can buy a positive tip cable for use with the dunlop brick? can you buy extra negative tip cables anywhere???

thanks in advance!

2. Franklin

Franklin Member

That sucks!! I don't see why that wouldn't work. Does it work with a battery?

3. GuitarBrent

GuitarBrent Member

On a power supply like that, the "69" isn't going to sound nearly as good as if you were using a carbon zinc battery. :BITCH

4. dyer_maker

dyer_maker Member

Won't with the Brick. You'll need another power supply to use with the 69. You can't mix and match polarities unless you have a power supply with isolated outputs - Pedal power or Juicebox for example.

5. justicetones

justicetones Member

100% agreed. It is the only pedal on my board that I use a carbon zinc battery in. All of the others are powered by a pedal power. Incidentally I have my '69 first in the chain too as most fuzzes prefer to see the guitar load directly. This makes saving the battery easy too by unplugging the guitar when done playing. I have had the same battery in for a few months and I play a few hours a day minimum.

6. eric-d

eric-d Member

Same here, but wuth a Sun Face...

7. TomK

TomK Member

This is correct. The 69 and similar pedals (many germanium fuzz) are not just reverse polarity - they are positive to ground. They require an isolated ground on a power supply. The DC Brick and other single output power supplies such as this (such as in Furman and Pedalpad pedalboards) are all common ground.

Connecting the 69 is actually shorting out your entire pedal chain.

8. Josh O

Josh O Member

Tom, do you know if the same applies to the Keeley Fuzz Head? I don't want to fry this pedal with my Furman pedalboard but I really don't want to use a battery either.

BostonGuitar likes this.
  9. TomK

TomK Member

I don't know and Robert does not specify on his website. You should email him and ask. Sorry!

10. Franklin

Franklin Member

I wonder if anyone knows where to buy carbon zinc batteries?

11. Josh O

Josh O Member

That's okay, I didn't see anything about it on his website or in the instructions. I guess I'll play it safe for now and use the battery it came with and ask Robert this week.

12. GuitarBrent

GuitarBrent Member

Carbon zincs are just regular old Evereadys that you can get at Target and dollar stores. There are many other brands. if it doesn't say alkaline or Lithium, it's probably carbon zinc.

13. Franklin

Franklin Member

Thanks Brent, I've been looking with no kuck. Maybe I'll have to try a dollar store. I've running my fuzz on alkaline now, the difference must be subtle.....

14. GuitarBrent

GuitarBrent Member

It's subtle, but not so subtle that you won't notice. Carbon zincs make those vintage fuzzes sound a bit warmer and there's noticeable difference in the envelope and bloom of single note runs.

15. drcarr

drcarr Member

thanks for all the great info! i guess the search for a pos. tip cable to run from the Brick to the 69 is over. back to the batteries!

are most/all vintage voiced fuzz pedals pos. tip??? any negative tip (compatible with the Brick) that you guys would recommend checking out?

16. stinkfoot

stinkfoot Member

Most fuzz pedals with germanium transistors inside are PNP (positive ground), while most of those with silicon transistors are NPN (regular negative ground). Or, to put it in Fulltone terms, the '69 is a germanium device and PNP (as you noticed), while the '70, being a silicon device, is NPN.

Usually, it is quite easy to check which one is which - just follow the battery wires. In a regular negative ground pedal, the battery negative (black wire) will end up at the input jack (sometimes with a stopover at the adapter jack on the way). In a positive ground pedal, everything is wired backwards, so the battery positive (red wire) is the one that ends up at the input jack.

On pedals produced in bigger runs, following the wires can be tricky, as they sometimes pass by the circuit board as well (sometimes the jacks are mounted straight on the pcb). But on boutique-type pedals, it is usually much easier, since they tend to have simpler wiring with separate/freely mounted jacks.

/Andreas

17. gitpicker

gitpicker Silver Supporting Member

Carbon-Zinc batteries available at Dollar stores - 2 for $1.00. I buy them by the handful. I would think that they are available everywhere.