Dunlop Cry Baby 535q: how do you like it?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Laimon, Feb 18, 2012.

1. Laimon

Laimon Member

Hi guys,

I have this wah:

http://www.jimdunlop.com/product/535q-cry-baby-multi-wah

Before I used to have a Morley wah, which I found kinda thin, whereas the Cry Baby retains a thicker sound, IMO. On the other hand, I am not sure how much I'm liking it...no matter how I set it, it feel always like on the heel position it cuts all frequencies drastically, resulting in a completely muffled out, low sound, then there is a spot where the sound opens up pretty much all of a sudden, and after that the "expression range" feels very limited.
    What are your opinions on this wah?
    Would you recommed any alternative?

2. RBfan

RBfan Member

I would recommend not giving up easily on it. Try all the positions of the frequency selector & different settings on the q pot. On the q try going from low to high, meaning softest curve to sharpest. You'll probably find a good setting along the way.

Also use the boost even if you're not really looking for more volume, it has some impact on the overall tone of the wah. I get the best, most vocal wah sound using bridge pickups whether 'buckers or SC. It's fine with neck pu's too, but mainly when playing on the 1st 8-10 frets. With humbuggies it sounds good pretty much anywhere.

HTH,

T

3. acwild

acwild Member

This is one of my favorite wahs. I never go all the way to the heel position or all the way to toe down though. As far as recommending an alternative, it really depends on what you're looking for in a wah.

4. phazersonstun

phazersonstun Member

I had the 535q for several years & im sure I'll pick up another at some point.
    Def my favorite wah from dunlop. I found it pretty easy to dial in my prefered sweep.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2012
  5. rootbeersoup

rootbeersoup Member

I did not like the wah when I had it. I felt it had no range, but that's just me.

6. Heady Jam Fan

Heady Jam Fan Member

I didn't mesh well with the 535Q. I got it to try and find something like the GCB95 that I could tame a bit (sometimes sounded thin or harsh with the toe down) and I couldn't dial in anything better or even as good for that matter. I am using a Budwah currently.

7. direwolf

direwolf Supporting Member

535q...................It's not great.

Teese picture wah for me.
    I own both.

8. clapointe1

clapointe1 Member

I own two of the 18vt 1st production run of the Dunlop 535Q and it's one the best sounding wahs ever !!!

9. Shambles

Shambles Member

I like mine. It's easy to dial in a good sound and I find that I use the q control quite often. The only drawback with it is that I can't do the David Gilmour seagull squeal. I assume it's because it has the extra controls in it. But for a wah its great.

10. wrightdude

wrightdude Supporting Member

I like mine.... I like that I can dial a little dark for the SC's and open it up a little for the HB guitars... The boost is cool too!

Only nit is mechanically.... it seems like it lost a little bit of travel heel-toe compared to normal cry-baby, but got used to that.......

11. dascher

dascher Member

Yes x10. Amazing wah that needs little adjustment.

If you want to hold onto the 535q try modding it for true bypass and change a resistor value or two. I'm sure some people here would chime in on their favorite mods.

12. Steve Hotra

Steve Hotra Silver Supporting Member

Thinking about getting this wah pedal. Like the price point. Is there something comparable I should look at?

13. The Villano Dude

The Villano Dude Member

Aren't they supposed to release a revamped version of this pedal?