Dunlop Eric Johnson Fuzz Face

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by guitarnut, Jan 13, 2012.

1. VoodooBlues

VoodooBlues Member

Got mine in last night. Surprisingly, it has less overall volume output, than either the JB or Hendrix fuzzes, but I'm assuming, they're biased that way, to EJ's specs. Most likely, because he's already hooking his fuzzes up to a loud, cooking Marshall. I just turned the volume up on my amp and problem solved. Sounds awesome! One of the better sounding silicon fuzz faces I've played through.

2. Fifthstone

Fifthstone Member

I'm no getting this at all. The output level of this unit seems much higher than either the JB or JH.

3. VoodooBlues

VoodooBlues Member

Interesting. Maybe I got a lemon? :dunno

4. Fifthstone

Fifthstone Member

Maybe not a lemon. Maybe my other two have exceptionally low output. Just enjoy the tones. It is a killer fuzz.

5. Skreddy

Skreddy Vendor

I've heard others mention low volume, which would be due to the low bias voltage (and still the classic voltage divider resistor value between the collector of Q2 and 9v, which drastically reduces the output volume on all vintage-style Fuzz Faces such that the volume knob needs to be set close to full-up for unity gain).

6. VoodooBlues

VoodooBlues Member

Glad I'm not the only one that's noticed it then. Maybe it's by design then and not just me. Wish I had another one to A/B with.

7. Fifthstone

Fifthstone Member

Not the case here. All of these three fuzzes that I own are above unity by noon, easily.

8. VoodooBlues

VoodooBlues Member

Update: Later on in the evening, the temps cooled off dramtically. It had been pretty hot in the house. The volume issue seemed to go away then. I've had this happen with germanium transitors but I didn't think temps had any effect on silicon transistors. For whatever reason, the cooler environment, seemed to get things back to "normal". Weird.

9. ruger9

ruger9 Member

+1. Never heard of silicon having temp issues... that's part of REASON for silicon!

10. ruger9

ruger9 Member

So, time for me to investigate the EJ... I don't think the JB is for me... basically, it's on or off. On (guitar on 10) there way too much bass/woof to be useable. Sounds like blown speakers, and not in a good way. (I'm using a cranked amp, but it's basically an AC30... breaking up/crunch, not heavy overdrive or anything). Turn the guitar down to 9, and the JB cleans up so much it sounds like my amp... just my amp, no fuzz. What use is that?

SO- I'm probably going to exchange it for an EJ... can anyone report on the guitar full up = useable tone on the EJ? Not too much overbearing bombast? :D

Clean-up is cool, but when I step on a fuzz, I'm looking for it to SOUND LIKE A FUZZ. Both my Fuzzhead & Retro-Fuzz do that, and have just enough low end nuke power to sound cool... but the JB sounds like I tossed my amp into a pool.

11. VoodooBlues

VoodooBlues Member

Me neither. I dunno, maybe I'm just losing it in my old age. :crazy

12. talpa

talpa Member

Been tweaking the bias on mine all week. This is my 1st (branded) Si Fuzz Face & so far I am digging it. I have pretty much settled on 3.07v measuring from the center of the bias pot to the leg of the yellow can (is that a filter cap ?)..not sure if this is the common method but I have no baseline reading for those 2 measurement points as I forgot to do so before digging into this project.

EDIT: baseline bias is 2.18v

At full volume level, the best amp/EJFF rig I've come up with is using my 65Amps Stone Pony into a vintage 4x12. It sounds great with my Germino plexis but at this 3.07v it's killing with the SP head. Full spectrum of cleanish Si sparkle with guitar volume backed off - to that full on exploding bass thing like silicon fuzzes do. But I dialed the voltage in for those in-between tones when the guitar volume is like on 8-9..getting a real close Desert Rose (verse section) thing I'm actually floored by the Stone Pony in this - very overdriven-Fender like. I wish I had some recording gear to demo. Was going for a Duet2 until the UA Apollo release. Now I 'm taking that path so it will be a while before clips.

Maybe in the SP is that they designed the amp around the 7591 tube, which is a hi-fi tube - so clean power with that EF86 front end in the Bump circuit. Hell what do i know just one of those serendipitous things.

Running fuzz Volume at 10:30 & Fuzz level anywhere from 10:30-2:00.
    10:30 both knobs is the best overall with the SP dimed Bump on lowest click. Not bedroom stuff.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2012
  13. venivici

venivici Member

Interesting news - http://www.ejfans.com/fuzzface/
    Chance to buy a signed one for twice the price. Interesting stuff, not commenting one way or another, just thought I would post the info to the thread.

14. Mr Boggie

Mr Boggie Member

I think my JB sounds way better with Humbuggies than single coils. But a previous poster did bring that up, e.g higher output pu's

15. traviswalk

traviswalk In the Great State Gold Supporting Member

That's cool, I may have sprung for the signed one if I didn't buy one already.

16. beedotman

beedotman Member

Can someone post pics of copper side of circuit board, please...

17. billconnorsfan

billconnorsfan Member

Went out to my friends store and came home with two (because he gave me an AWESOME deal). So, today is all about testing them out. Pulled out some of the accessible ones at home.

Fuzzes by type (L to R):

Ivor Arbiter reissue with AC128's
    Dunlop EJ (1)
    Dunlop EJ (2)
    Old beat up Grey with NKT 275
    Blue Hartman with BC108
    My "build", Silver with red dot NKT 275

[​IMG]

And the other half of the equation

[​IMG]

FWIW, the EJ sounds like the old AVM blue BC108 and TS-808 together. Dialed back the bias pot to lose the "spit". Not really my bag. But after that, the clear winner is the New EJ FF. Digging it!

Last edited: Apr 19, 2012
  18. traviswalk

traviswalk In the Great State Gold Supporting Member

Nice with the HPD, right!?

19. Oozymouf

Oozymouf Member

I am a horrible noob when it comes to fuzzes. I don't know which "type" makes which sound and all that. All I know is that I like this tone TONS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKTT5nO9HSI

this one as well, but the Lovepedal 200
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-MjXh-qpR0

And the end of this video there's a vintage FF near the end
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiJ5h88bUgM

I like the really smooth sounding fuzz... which confuses me, because (for example) the EJ FF demo that the Dunlop dude with the beard did sounds HORRIBLE to me.

So... is there a pattern in the types of fuzz sounds that I like, or is it all user-end? This is related to the EJFF, but somewhat of a tangent, sorry :/

20. ToneRanger72

ToneRanger72 Member

That first vid is mine - the trick I've found is that it needs to be going into some kind of overdriven signal - either an overdriven amp or an overdrive pedal. This is how EJ runs his and basically how Hendrix ran his as well - into sort of a light rhythm crunch tone.
    I agree the Dunlop demos at NAMM were awful - James Santiago however did a demo of his Giggity and used the EJ fuzz to demonstrate how much better the fuzz sound going into OD - go to 3:00...