Dunlop Fuzz Face Mini sounds terrible with Strat neck pickup

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Little_Wing, Jul 6, 2019.

1. Little_Wing

Little_Wing Member

Every time I see video of Hendrix using his FF, he's using his neck pickup and it sounds great. When I use mine it sounds muffled and too bassy. I've tried turning up treble on my amp and guitar but it still sounds like shite. The only cure is to use my bridge pickup. I'm running the FF through a Lovepedal Purple Plexi and a Katana 50 set on clean. Iv'e also had this problem using other amps. Should I get a different fuzz pedal?

2. Jim Marciano

Jim Marciano Supporting Member

It may have to do with how your fuzz is set, Hendrix played thru dimed stacks, he was already so loud and overdriven that he would set his fuzz knob low, I would try turning down the fuzz knob between 9-12 o clock and turn up the gain on the purple plexi a bit and see if you can get a decent neck pickup sound like that, a different fuzz won't really help, but using the fuzz more like an overdrive might

Snufkinoob likes this.
  3. Kelly

Kelly Member

Fuzz faces are very finicky with amps and other pedals. They work best inyo a tube amp that's already breaking up.

4. Little_Wing

Little_Wing Member

I've tried turning the fuzz knob lower and it has helped a bit but not ideal. The drive knob on the PP just changes the characteristics between JTM45, Plexi and JCM800 but the latter is more gainy so I could try that. Maybe adding more gain on my amp or changing the setting from clean to crunch or something else more high gain would do the trick?

5. Jim Marciano

Jim Marciano Supporting Member

Yeah that is probably a good place to start, another option might be using a graphic eq, cut the lower frequencies just a bit and add some mids, just a little change in eq could probably get you were you are headed

6. jimk4003

jimk4003 Member

A Strat neck pickup into a Fuzz Face should sound great, provided everything is working right and it's actually a sound you like.

I agree with the above posters though; they sound best into a valve amp that's turned up a bit; the clean channel on a Katana probably isn't ideal. Is there another amp you could try the guitar and pedal through, just to make sure it isn't the amp causing the problem?

7. OotMagroot

OotMagroot Member

If I'm playing into a clean amp, I always have to run my Fuzz Face types into a Marshally sounding overdrive before it hits the front end of the amp. If you use the PP for higher gain stuff, then use the FF as a boost and turn the volume down on your guitar (10 is usually too much, when it gets down to 7 or 8 it usually sounds alot better).

8. Blues Wail

Blues Wail Member

Dime both knobs. I’m here to tell ya!

9. Shadowfax2112

Shadowfax2112 Member

Is your guitar plugged straight into the FF? The low input impedance of the FF causes it to shave off the low and high end.

Snufkinoob and Crimson Queen like this.
  10. Little_Wing

Little_Wing Member

Thanks for the responses. I'm still at work so I'll have to wait till I get home to try these ideas.

I used to have a Fender Super Champ X2 but i had the same problem.

11. Shiny_Beast

Shiny_Beast Supporting Member

turn your guitar down a touch

onyir, Zakor, Dinosaur Sr. and 8 others like this.
  12. tubekingsley

tubekingsley Member

Use a crunchy/dirtier amp setting, and don't run the fuzz into the overdrive pedal. Experiment with various fuzz settings, and slightly rolling off your guitar volume, until you achieve the sound you're after.

13. Little_Wing

Little_Wing Member

So I've tried some of these ideas and i'm getting much better results. Instead of using the PP, I tried the Lead channel on the Katana with lots of gain, I turned the fuzz way down and rolled back the volume on the guitar. It sounds a lot better now. Thanks again.

Jim Marciano and Adagietto like this.
  14. analogmike

analogmike Gold Supporting Member Vendor

This, it will tighten up the fuzz and make it sound better. Keep the FUZZ knob up full.

15. vintage66

vintage66 Member

Curious to know which fuzzface model it is. But yeah, unless it’s a high gain silicon, fuzz knob on full, adjust with guitar volume. Some silicons you can roll the fuzz and/or volume off a little, never lower than 3:00 in general though for best results. There’s a bit of a learning curve, they’re not like distortion or od pedals but with the right amp they can be glorious. I’m surprised that you’re getting good results with the fuzz turned down, with everything else dialed in it should sound way better turned up and using the guitar volume.

It’s not a Band of Gypsies fuzzface is it? That’s a different animal.

16. Little_Wing

Little_Wing Member

Dunlop Fuzzface Mini.

This puppy.
    [​IMG]

vintage66 likes this.
  17. Little_Wing

Little_Wing Member

I've still got some experimenting to do. I might download some Hendrix patches for my Katana and see how those work with the FF.

18. vintage66

vintage66 Member

I have the big version of that, love it! I was just using it today, my vulume is at 4:00, a little less than full on, fuzz slightly higher than that but not quite full. I’m playing through a Mesa 5:50 on the crunch channel, not the higher gain burn channel but not the clean either so it’s set at a crunchy setting but one that I usually boost with an od pedal to get my leads, but never on at the same time as the fuzzface. It cleans up great with guitar volume knob and gets a clearer brighter sound slightly rolled off and has a great slightly but not overly wooly sound full up. I hesitate to use that word because I don’t like too much wool but it’s just right.
    Hope these settings help.

19. Stratburst70

Stratburst70 Member

As the late, great Stevie Ray Vaughan would tell you (if he wasn’t late), a Strat in combination with a Fuzz Face and a TS-style OD is a thing of beauty.

I have both the FF Germanium and the Jimi Hendrix (the one you have) mini pedals, and they both are wonderful no matter what the amp. You need to get used to manipulating your Strat’s volume and tone controls to get the best out of them, but once you do ... :phones

20. vonasemj

vonasemj Member

I love that pedal. After not finding a fuzz I liked for a number of years, I finally settled on this one. For me the key is either a blues breaker style pedal or transparent OD set to mild overdrive after the fuzz if going into a clean amp. Sounds fantastic.