Dunlop Hendrix Fuzz vs. MXR M-173...same circuit?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by SouthernShred, Jun 25, 2008.

1. SouthernShred

SouthernShred Silver Supporting Member

I'd prefer the smaller boxed MXR-173, but if it doesn't have the guts of the wonderful sounding Hendrix fuzz...well I'll pass. Anyone compared the innards yet?

Shannon

2. The P-Man

The P-Man Member

I gave up asking the same question and just bought the M173 anyway! Sounded better to me in the proguitarshop vids and has all the benefits of being cheaper, smaller, with the adapter and buffer which are useful features. I think it might be quite difficult to distinguish differences as a result of the circuit from the inherent differences between all bc108 pedals.

3. SouthernShred

4. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

P-man, can you post a pic sometime of the inside. Get as many anglesand detialed shots as you can. There have been some other pics of the FF and maybe someone can post some more of theirs. That we we all can see the inside for oursleves and discuss without having to own both.

Let's collaborate here....

5. The P-Man

The P-Man Member

No problems - mine hasn't arrived yet (expected later this week) but I'll be glad to once it does unless someone else manages before me!

6. The P-Man

The P-Man Member

I hear what you're saying - that's a great clip and one that inspired me to look into both. The proguitarshop clip of the M173 sounded more like what I expect from a fuzz face than the actual Fuzz Face i.e. it had a little bit more gain going on – part of the reason for that might be the variance in bc108’s rather than the circuit per se.

7. jamison162

Yah, but that clip was the std FF I'm sure.

8. SouthernShred

yeah, that clip is the Hendrix FF...that's my idea fuzz sound and it was recorded into a Deluxe Reverb...which is my amp of choice

9. FaselBaby

FaselBaby Member

They are different. The M-173 is a circuit board design ala MXR, has a power jack and buffer. The Fuzz Face uses a bread board, matched BC-108's
    with no buffer and no power supply ala the early Dallas Arbiter design.

10. jamison162

I think I'll buy a couple FF's from MF, keep the best sounding one (if there's even a contest) and rehouse it in a Lucibox. Might even add a 9v jack myself.

Then again, I might just order a custom small box MJM London.

11. FaselBaby

FaselBaby Member

Major difference is if you want the power supply, buffer, and small footprint get the M-173. Both pedals use BC108's. Classic Fuzz Face can have problems with lots of other pedals... i.e. the need for a buffer.