Dunlop Mini Wah

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Rhyn087, Mar 8, 2019.

1. Rhyn087

Rhyn087 Member

I’m thinking of getting a Dunlop mini wah for my board. It would live on the bottom row of my Pedaltrain Jr, but I’m worried about my foot hitting the pedal in front of it (top row) when using the Wah. I have no idea if this is a valid concern or not since I don’t yet own one, but I wanted to get the thoughts of those with experience using a mini wah on their board.

2. Pizzaking

Pizzaking Member

I have one on a PT Jr. It does happen sometimes.

3. stargazer747

stargazer747 Member

I have the mini wah and I ordered a Pedaltrain single riser to boost it up a bit, with it n the riser the wah completely clears the pedal in the row above it...

ShomerShabbos and Nightbreed like this.
  4. Nightbreed

Nightbreed Member

I used to have a mini wah and that was never an issue for me, but I have size 10 feet, so...not clown feet or anything (not saying you have clown feet, just saying). If I bought a wah again I'd keep it off the board and just use if off to the side when needed since I don't use one often. Plus I think that using them flat on the ground is more comfortable as opposed to the incline of a pedalboard.

realmacaroni and Blues Wail like this.
  5. ShomerShabbos

ShomerShabbos Supporting Member

I have the Mini wah. It does take some getting used to.

For me it’s worth it for the space saving size and true bypass.

Like any tool, which one best meets your needs - while working within your constraints

6. Blue Lizard

Blue Lizard Member

If the Dunlop mini-wah is anything like their mini-DVP expression pedals, then the key to using them is to line up your heel with the rear edge of the treadle and have your toes hanging in the air, rather than going toe-to-front as with a full size wah.

I use a Dunlop mini expression on the top rails of a PT Novo (no riser) and once I’d trained myself to go for the heel rather than the toe, I kept clear of the pedals in front.

Jacksteiner likes this.
  7. stargazer747

stargazer747 Member

Yes, this is exactly how I use it, size 12 foot and my toes hang out there in front a bit but after so many years of being used to the standard Dunlop Cry Baby I had to get used to doing this on the mini. I preferring it for this pedalboard which I wanted the space it saves for another pedal to fit. But the Pedaltrain single riser helped even more raising it and now there's plenty of clearance for not hitting the pedal above.

Blue Lizard likes this.
  8. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

Great for home use and recording... not so great for live playing IMHO. I only wear a size 9.5/10 shoe and I couldn’t get use to it. I even placed it all the way to the right and up front at a slight angle on my board but it still caused problems for me. Ymmv

9. valvestate

valvestate Member

This is how it should be on a pedalboard.

I'm using a mini Caline Purple Wah and I put on the upper left (top) corner of my board so that it will not hit my pedal on the lower tier. Works fine even in live usage.

10. ranchofm

ranchofm Member

Totally valid concern. I'm struggling with one right now. IME you will need some sort of riser no matter where it is unless your board is deep or there is nothing adjacent to it vertically, which for me, defeats the purpose. Sounds good, though.

11. realmacaroni

realmacaroni Supporting Member

i prefer all my rocker pedals right on the floor, right side of my board, so i haven't run into this issue.

that said, i love the mini-wah, vintage setting rules

Blues Wail likes this.
  12. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

My sentiments exactly. I think it sounds better than my full size Fulltone Clyde on my big board.

13. taco-man

taco-man Supporting Member

I have to put mine in the back row because of this.

14. beej

beej Supporting Member

I have mine at the front of a PT Jr. Pedals behind it are on a riser. I've had zero issues using it live.

15. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

It sits high enough by itself that my (size 11.5) foot doesn't hit the buffer, and I don't have problems with hitting the tuner either.

[​IMG]

eriwebnerr likes this.
  16. beej

beej Supporting Member

Here's mine-

[​IMG]

17. eriwebnerr

eriwebnerr Member

This is exactly what I do too - put my buffer on top. I am not a frequent wah user but as others have mentioned it works best with the heel on the bottom of the tredle, not toe at the top. For this reason - IMO it's ok to have "a" pedal in the top row above it as long as it isn't something you want to routinely switch on and off. So it either has to have no switch or you have to orient the switch so it is way out of the way.

Kevy_Metal likes this.
  18. Kevy_Metal

Kevy_Metal Member

I was just testing out the mini today, haven't bought or used a wah pedal since the early 90s and this impressed me a lot. I've seen them around, but never considered one until now. Just what I need...

19. Original_Fire

Original_Fire Member

They sound so spectacular. I don’t know that I’ve heard a better wah.

But yeah, unless you arrange things wisely this is definitely an issue.