Dunlop Primetone

scolfax

Silver Supporting Member

What's the deal with these? Anyone have a chance to try them?

Wonder why they don't have a Jazz size version also?

olejason

There are two different series of Primetone picks. The others are jazz sized in 3mm and 5mm and are basically Wegan clones. I just got some in today. Great for gypsy jazz!

Adagietto

Silver Supporting Member
I just got the 1.3 smooth semi-round today (515P, at 11:00 in the above picture) . My first impression is that it has a very nice tone and attack—crisp and balanced. I usually use sharp JIIIs or similar, so a big round pick feels pretty odd. I'm not sure exactly why I ordered it, other than to try something new. This one seems promising. Usually, new picks go into the 'pick archive' after a couple of minutes.

cubistguitar

I picked some semi rounded and some triangle pointed, without the grip.

They are nice picks. Crisp is a good word, they sound good for strum or alternate picking and many of my faves don't go between these as well. I am going between these and my Dunlop Jazztones (205s and 208s) and my Blue Chip (and they hold their own in this company).

I would like to see a 2mm version of these and a slightly smaller shape, but they are good stuff and the bevel is better Dunlop usually does.

NewDr.P

i got some of the 1mm and they are EXTREMELY hard/ firm. i need more give from the pick. id imagine theyd last forever but absolutely shred a set of strings in 20 minutes.

cubistguitar

i got some of the 1mm and they are EXTREMELY hard/ firm. i need more give from the pick. id imagine theyd last forever but absolutely shred a set of strings in 20 minutes.
Its just the ultex material they have used for years. This is just supposed to have a hand finished edge, seems quite nice to me. Doubt it will make any dent in any strings.

jurfin

i am a pretty big fan of these picks. if i did not have a small stash of adamas graphites, i would be rocking these. they hold up really well, which is saying something, as i can shred a 2 mm pick in a couple hours...

i agree completely that they have a crispness and clarity to them. they also feel snappy and clean right from the get go. just a good feeling pick really. they are super stiff for their thickness, which is something i seek out. i can't stand to have much give from a pick.

i was told that if there was a demand for it, they might make a 2mm primetone in the future.

i would really like one of those.

cubistguitar

i was told that if there was a demand for it, they might make a 2mm primetone in the future.

i would really like one of those.
thats great, I would try that, really like these for a pick option, but prefer the feel of a little thicker pick

MilwMark

Have you tried the Jazztones? I was using Jazz IIIs and loved the size and shape but they were very "plinky/aggressive attack" the way I play. Everything came out more trebly and distorted than my pickup/amp combo should have supplied.

The Jazztones are the same basic shape (205s anyway) but the material and edge seems a little warmer and more forgiving. They do strumming and leads better for me.

bobotwt

Silver Supporting Member
Its just the ultex material they have used for years. This is just supposed to have a hand finished edge, seems quite nice to me. Doubt it will make any dent in any strings.
+1

I tried them, but honestly it is not really any different than the Ultex Sharps I have used for a few years, other than the bevel. Haven't tried a Blue Chip yet, but have played many picks including fancy ones like Red Bears looking for something close to the real tortoise picks I have played. The 2mm Ultex Sharp gets closer than anything I've heard. Again they are nice picks, but I get about the same tone with the 30 cent version versus the $2 version.

Josh

whoismarykelly

Oh look! This is a thing I can change!
If you want a jazz version of this just go with an Ultex Jazz III. Its the same material just dyed a different color. You could cut a bevel into them with sandpaper if absolutely necessary.

Adagietto

Silver Supporting Member
Interesting suggestion on the bevel, especially if that accounts for the difference between the Primetone and Ultex Jazz III. To me, the Primetone sounds much like the Petrucci, but with a little less emphasis on the attack. The Ultex JIII is a little warmer (or muffled) in comparison. The Petrucci is one of my favorite picks ever, so I'm surprised at how good the big round Primetone sounds.

Last edited:

olejason

The Primetone Wegen copy below. These picks are great for jazz or gypsy jazz where you need a lot of speed and articulation.

Smow09

I like the new primetone series. I've used the 1.5s in standard and triangle so far. I like the standard shape the most, the bevel helps fluidty without resorting to a skinny point. The pointed triangle though creates a lot of extra noise for me no matter how I hold or strike with it; it's not a pick chirp but just a clacking from hitting the strings. It's not bad on electric but on acoustic you hear it over the strings too much. Prolly just bad technique or something. Haven't used the rounded triangles.

NewDr.P

Have you tried the Jazztones? I was using Jazz IIIs and loved the size and shape but they were very "plinky/aggressive attack" the way I play. Everything came out more trebly and distorted than my pickup/amp combo should have supplied.

The Jazztones are the same basic shape (205s anyway) but the material and edge seems a little warmer and more forgiving. They do strumming and leads better for me.
i havent but will keep an eye out for them. thanks.

Adagietto

Silver Supporting Member
I really like the shape, feel, and sound of the 205s also. They can get a little chirpy for me sometimes, otherwise they're about perfect.

Trending Topics