Dunlop Rotovibe : History

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by clapointe1, Dec 21, 2010.

1. clapointe1

clapointe1 Member

1V:
    Dunlop JH-4S : 1991 , smooth red paint , serial numbers engraved on base-plate , black chorus/vibrat switch ,DPDT footswitch an one internal trimmer .

2V:
    Dunlop JH-4S : mid 90's ,smooth red paint , serial number on stick on base-plate ,red chorus/vibrato switch , new board layout,momentary footswitch and two internal trimmers

3V:(present)
    Dunlop JD-4S : bobbly red paint job , new board , momentary footswitch.

This about right ?????

Last edited: Dec 22, 2010
  2. clapointe1

clapointe1 Member

3. aawshred

aawshred Member

hahaha the accidental sad face cracks me up... sorry, off topic

highrise likes this.
  4. mojoslide

mojoslide Member

Maybe not an accident? I had an old JH-4S model and it was way better sounding than the newer JD ones I tried.

5. ciclosonico

ciclosonico Member

Nice topic.

And what about mine? JH-4S, red switch, sn on stick...
    I just discovered the 2 trimmers on the blue square components, under the glue.
    I bought it used, mid '90s if I remember, but it's not a JH-42...

[​IMG]

6. bsrguitar

bsrguitar Member

I just got a JH-type a little bit ago, and have never opened it up... what do the trim knobs adjust?
    Any chance it is the top speed?

7. thurstonboise

thurstonboise Member

I have a Jh-4s with one trimpot. It adjusts the depth a bit. Mine has a silver chorus/vibrato switch.
    The vibrato is really subtle regardless of the trimpot setting.

To adjust the speed, disengage the rack and move the rate pot position to taste.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2010
  8. clapointe1

clapointe1 Member

Huh ? :huh

9. Staticbuster

Staticbuster Member

This is slightly off topic, and I may get flamed for this, but here goes...

Wasn't this the pedal Kurt Cobain used to get the sounds on the intro to "Radio Friendly Unit Shifter" on In Utero?

Seems like I read that somewhere back in the 90's...

10. clapointe1

clapointe1 Member

Yup the same pedal ! No flame ! :)

11. thurstonboise

thurstonboise Member

Oops my phone corrected JH as john.
    The trimpot adjusts the depth of the effect (kind of).
    You can adjust the speed range by unhooking the rack (connected to the treadle) and adusting the position of the rate pot for a faster speed in the toe down position.

12. Toggle

Toggle Member

Really? I thought it was an EH Echo Flanger (otherwise known as a Polychorus). It sure sounds like the EH pedal, and not really like a Rotovibe.

Tom

13. amorica

amorica Member

Not sure what year mine is but it's an early year for sure. I had one in the early-mid 90's. Lent it to a friend and that was the end of it. So I bought another one about 8 years ago on ebay. I knew to get a JH because thats what I had earlier. But I had no idea how great the one I got was. Sounds as good or better then I remember. I had every boutique Vibe under the sun, Sweet Sound to even the newer Mini deja vibe 2 and Micro Vibe and a lot I can't remember. But I always come back to this pedal. I like how it doesn't add all the extra low end or extra highs. And the throb on those pedals drove me nutts!!! Not smooth at all. I thought the Voodoo Micro Vibe was the smoothest sounding to the Rotovibe but didnt have the speed adjustment with the treadle.
    Not only that this Rotovibe came with True bypass 6 post. Couldn't believe it. I had called Mike (Analogman) while I was waiting for delivery about true bypassing it and lone behold it already was.
    Anyways here's some pics. Couldn't believe how different the guts were when I saw the other pics.
    Sorry for the crappy pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. axemanjoe

axemanjoe Member

I have a first generation, great sounding pedal, I played with a keyboard player in the early 90's who used one of the early ones with a Kurzweil for a faux Leslie tone, it was pretty cool. I keep mine on my board, sounds great with an old BOSS CE-2 Chorus too.

15. amorica

amorica Member

I like the vibrato sound as well. Some people don't care for it to much. Mine seems to give it a bit of a boost as well as the vibrato. It adds some extra grit in a good way like some good analog pedals can do. Sometimes I'll even turn it on but leave the treadle heel down so there's no Vibrato movement with the intensity rolled back . It's great for a little extra drive. Then hit a solo etc. and toe it down and it's perfect for a little texture to your tone. Sort of a Magnatone vibe.
    I guess to sum it up this pedal solves a lot of my needs Phaser,Vibe,leslie, Vibrato, tremolo(it can pull it off in the mix) , and a bit of boost as well all in the analog domain. It has a lo-fi sound in a good way.

16. Dr. Cuddy

Dr. Cuddy Senior Member

i have a jh-4s, stick-on serial number, silver push in button, in = green chorus out=red vibrato, plastic intensity knob, two trim pots. whats the deal with that? i cant find any info that lines up with this.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2011
  17. Dr. Cuddy

Dr. Cuddy Senior Member

18. RMosack

RMosack Supporting Member

Nice thread.

This is one of those pedals that I always meant to buy, but never actually did (sort of like a Rickenbacker 12 string or a tc electronic SCF). I'm a bit bummed to find out that the newer ones aren't like the older ones I tried out back in the '90s.

19. Whiskeyrebel

Whiskeyrebel Supporting Member

Here is a surprise: with a dying battery or a deliberately low voltage power supply, they turn into a splattery, farty 60s style fuzz.

Try splitting your guitar into a clean amp and run the Rotovibe on red vibrato into another amp. It's like a phaser, only done acoustically instead of electronically. It sounds really wide.