Dunlop Super Pots?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Tomo El Gato, Sep 24, 2018.

1. Tomo El Gato

Tomo El Gato Member

2. zguitar71

zguitar71 Supporting Member

I have not but I do use the RS Guitarworks “SuperPot” and I think they are great. I believe the concept is the same between the two. I like them because the taper is very consistent, it never falls off a cliff. They also have a good taper ratio for controlling the volume up top which for me is important. If you use the volume knob a lot I think they are money well spent.

3. Todd Lynch

Todd Lynch Member

I use the RS Guitarworks pots as well and have for several years. I like the 280Ks in my Teles. I'm sure the Dunlop pot is good quality.

4. cap10kirk

cap10kirk Member

I have one in my partscaster as a volume pot. The only real advantage to the Super Pots is that they're sealed, so dirt/dust/sweat can't get in them. It works fine, however, I prefer the feel of the Emerson CTS and Bourns pots I typically use. That's just personal preference, they feel fine, I just like lower torque pots.
    There are definitely some drawbacks though. The big drawback is they're $16 each (surprisingly, they're cheaper from Stew Mac than they are on Dunlops website). And, being sealed pots, I'm not going to use them as tone pots...I like to make all my tone pots no-load, and I'm hesitant to try opening a sealed pot to modify it. Also there's not a lot of variety. You can get 500k and 250k split shaft, or a 250k solid shaft, and that's it. No push/pull, no long shaft pots if you need those, etc. I'm not convinced they're worth the price, and I kinda doubt I'll be buying more, unless I get significantly more life out of these than normal pots, but it will be a few years before I know that.

ProfRhino likes this.
  5. stark

stark Supporting Member

I’m going to try them. Nothing but problems with the currently available open case pots.
    Amplfied Parts .com has them for $10.95 anybody order from them?

Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
  6. Tomo El Gato

Tomo El Gato Member

Do you mean that Dunlops have lower friction? I was under the impression that they are a little harder to turn, it would definitely be my preference.

I've seen them for around $11, which isn't too bad... as long as I end up using them.
    I agree about limited options, but I suppose it's a fairly new product.
    What is the sweep like, compared to a standard log or linear pots?

7. dazco

dazco Member

really? I find that unless i'm resoldering them a number of times CTS last years. Maybe an occasional shot of deoxit after a couple years if they start getting a bit of noise but thats worse case scenario. I also am 100% happy with the taper and i do use my volume a lot, constantly in fact from 3 to 10.

8. stark

stark Supporting Member

One of the issues I notice is that the outer case seems to be made of either thinner metal or cheaper quality metal, so that they often come loose causing grounding and contact issues within the pot. Re crimping them is only a temporary solution. Just my bad luck I guess, but it’s over multiple instruments.

9. dazco

dazco Member

Strange. That has never happened to me the the way most guitars are wired and how i wire mine it can't happen. The ground lug of the pot is soldered to the case and all the grounds from pups and jack also go to the case. Thats why the ground lug is usually bent till it touches the case then soldered to it. No way the ground can be compromised w/o a solder joint going south. But i use a piece of wire rather then bend the lug and possibly weaken it's contact with the resistive strip.

10. cap10kirk

cap10kirk Member

No, the Dunlops are higher friction. That's actually why I put it in my partscaster, I wanted something harder to turn there since I hit the volume knob constantly on Strat style guitars.

The sweep of the pot itself feels very much like the CTS and Bourns audio taper pots I normally use. It has a good taper to it.

eclecticsynergy and Tomo El Gato like this.
  11. stark

stark Supporting Member

All I know is that when the case is loose, you can wiggle the pot shaft and get static, once tightend the static goes away and the shaft doesn’t wiggle.

12. Tomo El Gato

Tomo El Gato Member

@cap10kirk I have one more question - is the spindle on those knobs short enough, that the strat knobs can be flush with the pickguard (using extra washers underneath if necessary)?

13. 98G2PRU

98G2PRU Member

I ordered some a while back but have not used them yet.

+

14. rjpilot

rjpilot Member

You would adjust height with the washers. Those pots don’t look exceptionally high to me so you should have no problem getting a perfect flush mounted pot on a strat.

Tomo El Gato likes this.
  15. cap10kirk

cap10kirk Member

Yep, they're the same size as a typical CTS pot, they're not very tall. With just one washer on the back side of mine, it has the knob pretty close to the pickguard...I can barely slide a .73 mm pick in the gap between the bottom of the volume knob and the top of the pickguard.

16. Tomo El Gato

Tomo El Gato Member

Thanks, I wanted to make sure.

17. Shoprocket

Shoprocket Member

I have the dunlop pot in three different guitars because the taper is consistently close to 10% (resistence at half way is 10% of value of pot). The benefit of this taper, is that it leaves a big area of adjustment when turning it down for clean playing. In other words, when playing a single channel amp under high distortion, you can turn your volume level down to achieve a clean sound easier without having to be super accurate because there is a big window of adjustment, where it cleans up before it turns off completely. If you play clean to lightly distorted, this taper wouldn't work as well because it's too abrupt, close to the full volume settings. The RS pot taper works better for this 2nd scenario.

18. Tomo El Gato

Tomo El Gato Member

Thanks for the info - from this is sounds like they actually might not work out. For me the regular audio pots tend to be a little to crammed towards the top.

19. Tomo El Gato

Tomo El Gato Member

I just realized that 'regular' audio pots ARE 10% taper...

20. eclecticsynergy

eclecticsynergy Member

The problem with ordinary cheaper pots is consistency; the values can be all over the place and I'm not sure if the tapers are anywhere close to spec either. Premium pots have closer tolerances and tend to be more predictable.

PS: It looks as if RS may be discontinuing their version - the RS website now only lists superpots in 500K long shaft. None in standard height and none in 280K.