Dunlop Volume X / XL - steel band breaking issue...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Shadow Puppets, Apr 12, 2016.

1. Shadow Puppets

Shadow Puppets Member

I am contemplating buying the new Dunlop Volume XL pedal (slightly bigger version of the Volume X).

However, I have been a little put off by a few mentions on here of the steel band breaking after a few months.

I'd appreciate an update on this issue, so if you have owned / still own one of these units, could you let me know if you've ever had a problem with it?

Thanks!

2. theanalogdream

theanalogdream Supporting Member

I was always puzzled by those, not to discredit those people's experience. Mine has been solid for a few years now, which I can not say about Ernie Balls. Went through about 4-5 of those before crying "uncle". Mine's going strong.

3. DonaldDemon

DonaldDemon Member

Same here, my Volume X has been going strong for a few years now. My EB's I owned always gave me problems.

4. TheRealDeal

TheRealDeal Member

My volume x is solid. No issues here. I even dropped it on a parking lot and it still works

5. Shadow Puppets

Shadow Puppets Member

Good to hear experiences have been good. Wonder whether it was a bad batch of early ones that had this issue maybe?

6. TheRealDeal

TheRealDeal Member

honestly i have never heard of one of these breaking. not sure why more people don't use them

7. LordFlasheart

LordFlasheart Member

Conversely, I've had several Ernie Balls over the years and never once had a problem. I've certainly heard of problems but i'm putting it down to bad luck. I suspect the same here with the Dunlop X pedals.

That being said, I am seriously interested in the Volume X mini.

8. Shadow Puppets

Shadow Puppets Member

Everything tends to be put under the microscope on TGP, but in reality, the vast majority of people I know who own them have no issues either.

9. x-ray specs

x-ray specs Member

Depends how you use the pedal and possibly when. I've broken 2 steel belt drives on 2 different Dunlop pedals (dvp1 & dvp3) . The reason I say "when" is because I noticed they both broke in the winter. I think maybe the cold weather had something to do with it. Thin pieces of steel don't react well to bending when really cold.

Also depends on how aggressive you are with the pedal. Slow volume swells will more than likely make your dunlop last a lot longer than someone who uses the pedal in a more forceful intense manner.

Even still, I think the dunlop pedals are nice volume pedals and I would buy the dvp3 again or perhaps the dvp4. I like the dunlop volume pedals much more than the ernie ball pedals. Broke more than a few strings with those and won't go back.

10. Shadow Puppets

Shadow Puppets Member

Did you leave your pedals in any place where they could have gotten unreasonably cold?

11. gibsonguitar1988

gibsonguitar1988 Member

I LOVE Dunlop volume pedals - no tonesuck compared to Ernie Ball volume pedals and no string to break.

I've never had any problems with any of my Dunlop volume pedals. My favorite is the original big silver one for my size 20 shoe. :D

Wolfboy1 likes this.
  12. philamag87

philamag87 Silver Supporting Member

Got my DVP3 in July 2015 and it's still going strong. I don't use it a ton but when I do I'm using it for gradual volume swells. I also keep downstairs all year where in the cold New England winters I keep the temp to around 50 degrees and haven't had any issues.

I was using the EB Jr and had no issues with it. It did have the tone suck but I just dealt with it. The DVP3 has no noticeable tone suck and I tested it (and the EB Jr) with a Keeley True Bypass looper to confirm. I think the DVP3 is a great pedal!

13. Multicellular

Multicellular Supporting Member

Not problem with my Dunlop x for 3 years or so. And it gets a lot of use, I have it routed thru an Expressionator into three pedals including the Boss sy300 that I use as a synth and multifx.

And ya I broke 2 Ernie Balls in 2 years.

14. GtrWiz

GtrWiz Member

I've had mine for two years and just last Saturday it developed a problem where it won't stay in the off (heel down) position. I searched and found this thread. I'll probably buy one again if I can't fix it. Never had one issue with the EB's in 20 years. No tone suck if you don't use the tuner out.

So anyone know how to fix my problem? I'm not very handy...

15. ChukOz

ChukOz Member

Mine just broke. I've had it about two years. I'm pretty disappointed actually. No I don't live in a cold climate or abuse my wah.I think this is a bit dodgy for a 'Patent Applied For' innovation.
    [​IMG] I can't find replacement parts on the net but I found a bodgy-fixit-workaround on Youtube by someone speaking Spanish (?). I guess I'll try that.

16. 108

108 Member

I've been happy with my Volume X for like three years now. I haven't heard of this before... weird.

17. S. S. Bender

S. S. Bender Member

I obtained a replacement band drive for my DVP3 directly from Dunlop, and installed the mechanism myself. It's much easier to replace this part on the Dunlop, than it is to replace the string on an Ernie Ball pedal. All you need is a Phillips screwdriver to remove the bottom plate, and an Allen (hex key) wrench to remove the four bolts that hold the band drive and potentiometer in place. Slide the old band drive off the potentiometer shaft, then slide the new one on, and bolt the two parts back in place. The potentiometer shaft is "D" shaped, so the band drive mechanism can only go on in the correct way. It took me just a few minutes to complete this repair. It's probably worth noting that the metal on the replacement band drive was black rather than the silver appearance of the original. If I had to guess, I would speculate that this was an engineering change to a black oxide coating, which could be beneficial to the way the steel is being used in this application.

I recommend contacting Dunlop here: techsupport@jimdunlop.com

Wolfboy1 likes this.
  18. ChukOz

ChukOz Member

I contacted the Australian distributor of Dunlop and they asked me to return it to the purchase store for repair.
    I know I won't see it again for a couple of months.
    I wish they had given me the option to self repair. It would've been easy.

19. Resonate01

Resonate01 Member

Love my volume X, best volume pedal I've used so far. Much better then the VPjr I had.

Granted I never broke a VPjr either, I'm pretty careful with my volume pedals, but this one just feels right and is solid.

20. S. S. Bender

S. S. Bender Member

I'm sorry to hear that. Dealing with broken music gear is almost always an unmitigated pain in the ass. I had to contact Dunlop twice via email over the course of two weeks just to get them to respond. After that, they were pretty good about handling things, and I received the band drive mechanism approximately 3.5 weeks after sending my initial email.