• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Duo Jet vs Tele

Jeremy A

Hey! So I'm about to buy a new guitar, but I need help deciding which to get. I know these guitars are much different. I play through a Vox AC15 set to edge of break up to low gain when I really dig in. I want to get a brighter guitar to go with my amp because I like to use a thick, warm fuzz for all my overdrive needs. So I'll have to use my guitar's volume a lot and changing pickups is imortant! So which guitar would suit me best? I love the simplicity of the tele, but the Duo jet looks great too, especially with the master volume control. What do you think?

bob-i

I have a Power Jet and a tele, totally different animals. The Duo Jet PUs are not as hot as the Power Jet, and are brighter but don't expect spank like a tele.

On the master volume, its almost useless. Even the slightest turn off max cuts highs dramatically. I've tried several types of treble bleed circuits and no help. I do like the "mud" switch. In the middle it bypasses the tone circuit, down its a slight treble drop, up its very mellow. I use middle and down mostly.

Jeremy A

I have a Power Jet and a tele, totally different animals. The Duo Jet PUs are not as hot as the Power Jet, and are brighter but don't expect spank like a tele.

On the master volume, its almost useless. Even the slightest turn off max cuts highs dramatically. I've tried several types of treble bleed circuits and no help. I do like the "mud" switch. In the middle it bypasses the tone circuit, down its a slight treble drop, up its very mellow. I use middle and down mostly.

So since I'll be using my guitar's volume knob for my gain needs, a Tele would probably work best for me, right?

Cottage

Duo jet is neat for what it does, but if I had to go to war...it would be tele, hands down for versatility IMHO.

Gas-man

Unrepentant Massaganist
You need one of each.

You can get good deals on both, so it doesn't have to be an either/or.

Jeremy A

Duo jet is neat for what it does, but if I had to go to war...it would be tele, hands down for versatility IMHO.

Ya a Tele definitely seems like the way to go for what I'm looking for.

So where should I start looking? There's tons of great builders out there these days. I'd definitely want a high quality Tele, probably 2 single coil pickups.

daacrusher2001

Silver Supporting Member
Ya a Tele definitely seems like the way to go for what I'm looking for.

So where should I start looking? There's tons of great builders out there these days. I'd definitely want a high quality Tele, probably 2 single coil pickups.

Well, I went with a mint used G&L with Fralins. There was a nice one on the forum recently with mfd pickups. Not too expensive and great build quality

TheoDog

Silver Supporting Member
Depends on the gig. Are you looking at the bigsby model?
I used my duo jet at church and my tele in the band gigs (country) with a strat as a backup. I am considering a jazzmaster to backup the gretsch.
El84's all around.

Jeremy A

Depends on the gig. Are you looking at the bigsby model?
I used my duo jet at church and my tele in the band gigs (country) with a strat as a backup. I am considering a jazzmaster to backup the gretsch.
El84's all around.

I play at church mostly, but keep in mind that I only use one fuzz pedal for all my dirt needs. So cleaning up with my guitar's volume is essential.

Londonbus

Are we talking Dynasonic equipped Jet or Filtertrons?

Because a Jet with Dynasonic single coil pickups will can definitely get some Telecaster type tones.

bob-i

I always use a volume pedal, better control than the knob on the guitar and no loss of highs.

TheoDog

Silver Supporting Member
When I got my Jet (Electromatic) it made so much sense in the P&W setting. I don't have an issue making use of the master volume. I do not use a volume pedal and my dirt is a Prince of Tone on dist setting.

bikeracr

Silver Supporting Member
No matter where you land, it will be hard to go wrong. If switching out pickups is important, you will have a lot more options with the tele. I was in the same place a year ago and I went with the duo jet. After some minor mods & keeping the original PUPs, I'm in love.

Waxhead

I have a Jet with TV Jones Classics.
Before that it had Gretsch HS Filtertrons
What bob-i says certainly does NOT apply to my Jet with either of the 2 filtertron PUPs I've had in mine.
It also does not apply to any Jet with Dynasonics.
A Power Jet with PowerTrons is more like a Les Paul than a Tele.

The Master volume dial works great on mine. Does not cut highs.
Mine has just as much twang, spank and sparkle as any Tele but it's fatter and got more punch.

A Jet with TV Classics or HS Filtertrons & bigsby is imo a much more versatile guitar than any Tele.
It's much fatter & fuller, has no thin Tele squeal, is much quieter and will cover any style fantastic - except heavy metal.
Plus its got a great trem system.

Go play them yourself & decide

Last edited:

Chad

^It's pretty common for people to install treble bleeds on Gretsch guitars, but I think the Power Jet/Powertrons are even more susceptible to loss in treble. This happens with both the master and individual volumes.

On my Power Jet, I ended up bypassing the individual volume and the mud switch. So the only controls I have are master volume and 3-way pickup switch. i.e. Hot Rod wiring. Plus, I did install a treble bleed. That works out MUCH better.

BTW, out of dozens of guitars I have owned my Power Jet is the ONLY guitar I've ever felt a need to install a treble bleed on. There is definitely something that happens with Filtertrons when the volume is turned down....moreso than with any other style of pickup.

Waxhead

^It's pretty common for people to install treble bleeds on Gretsch guitars, but I think the Power Jet/Powertrons are even more susceptible to loss in treble. This happens with both the master and individual volumes.

On my Power Jet, I ended up bypassing the individual volume and the mud switch. So the only controls I have are master volume and 3-way pickup switch. i.e. Hot Rod wiring. Plus, I did install a treble bleed. That works out MUCH better.

BTW, out of dozens of guitars I have owned my Power Jet is the ONLY guitar I've ever felt a need to install a treble bleed on. There is definitely something that happens with Filtertrons when the volume is turned down....moreso than with any other style of pickup.

The OP's thread asks about Duo Jets, not Power Jets.
Gretsch don't make Duo Jets with PowerTron PUPs.

All your doing is giving some reasons NOT to buy a Power Jet with PowerTrons - which has no relevance to the OP's questions anyway.
I don't recommend them either cos I think all the other Jet models fitted with different PUPs (ie most Jets) are better.

Anyways - I've been on www.thegretschpages.com for many years and I've heard probly 1 or 2 people in all that time install treble bleeds.
It's very uncommon imo and had more to do with lack of EQ options on their amp than the guitar - plus the unusual personal taste of the owner.

So to the OP - forget Power Jets.
A Duo Jet (or Jet Firebird) with HS Filtertrons, TV Jones Classic or Dynasonics are better imo & are easier to find anyway.

Last edited:

Trending Topics

Top Bottom