Durham Electronics Zia Drive

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by BMF Effects, May 20, 2008.

1. BMF Effects

BMF Effects Supporting Member

I've said it before, builders rarely seem to come out in praise of other builders. No affiliation or association, paid full retail for this one. The Zia Drive is an excellent pedal. Nice, open low gain with my Nocaster through my Carr Rambler without mucking up my tone. Check this one out, I think you'll be pleased.

Alan... :AOK

2. BluesHarp

BluesHarp Member

Anybody compare this one to the cot50? Have heard it is similar with a bit less highs. ( which sounds nice )

3. radcliff

radcliff Member

I have both

They are both open but react very differently to your volume knob. The Zia can be tweaked to sound close to the COT.... problem with the COT is you cant get rid of tht extra highs or boost - with the Zia its tweakable. But they are different tones.

4. BluesHarp

BluesHarp Member

I was hoping it would be more like the cot50, but less highs. The PP100 I have is the closest compromise I have come to so far.

Ive heard the zia is a bit fizzy... Im still tempted.

5. radcliff

radcliff Member

It is a bit fizzy. However, Live in a loud band setting I didn't notice fizziness at all.

6. spookyelectric

spookyelectric Supporting Member

I was curious to know how these two react differently to the volume knob, as that's one of the COT50's best features.

7. radcliff

radcliff Member

To me the COT reacts more like a fuzz pedal when turned down, where the entire characteristic of the pedal changes as you bring down the volume knob on your guitar.

The Zia acts more like an amp when you bring down your volume knob, the characteristic stays more the same, just less grit.