Durham Sex Drive Owners-Where Do You Put It in Your Chain?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by coot tone, Feb 19, 2012.

1. coot tone

coot tone Member

Love my Durham Sex Drive and have put it various places in my chain...just wondering what others do. Right now it's the only buffered pedal in my chain, and I'm debating whether to place it after all of my dirt, before, or in the middle. Truth is, it sounds great everywhere, so it's more about the buffered part than the actual effect on my sound.

2. 12StringStrat

12StringStrat Member

After all dirt - such a fantastic pedal. I run mine with soft compression, gain around 5:00, level around 11:00, tone around 12-2:00 for just a small boost. This pedal cuts!
    See my signature for path, I've got the TU-3, Sex Drive, and the iB modified Nova Delay. I can run 15ft cables either end without any tone change vs a 6ft cord straight to amp - it's wonderful.

3. coot tone

coot tone Member

12StringStrat, I run a Blackstone OD and KOT V4 as well. Off the subject already, but where do you put your RMC3 Wah when you run it? The Blackstone sounds so great first in a chain.

4. 12StringStrat

12StringStrat Member

The blackstone only just went on the board so I'm not sure about the RMC3 though I would usually put the wah first regardless.

5. coot tone

coot tone Member

I'm finding I can still put my RMC3 first and it doesn't seem to have much affect on the Blackstone, even without the "buffered" switch on. In fact, I've been running the RMC3 Wah and a BMF Ge Spot Mk I fuzz w/ true bypass before the Blackstone and it seems to clean up about the same as it does when first in the chain.

6. 12StringStrat

12StringStrat Member

And now back to your regularly scheduled Durham program. That pedal ain't leaving my board - hasn't had a real challenger and doubt it will. It already does what it's supposed to perfectly.

7. fieldsroyal

fieldsroyal Member

Beautiful sounding pedal - I actually put mine first in the chain - use it to push my other dirt pedals - it works great in this context - I will try it after my 12axe later on though as I heard its intended use was after dirt boxes

8. NakedInTheRain

NakedInTheRain Member

stick it as close to the start of your chain as possible, after the obvious pedals like fuzz face, tonebender, rangemaster etc.

9. coot tone

coot tone Member

I have lots of dirt, so right now mine is after the wah, fuzz, and Blackstone, and before the KOT, Les Lius, chorus, and delay. Truthfully, it sounds great no matter where I put it. I'm just trying to get the most out of the buffer, which is great, also!

10. 12StringStrat

12StringStrat Member

Where you have it sounds just fine.

11. doublescale1

doublescale1 FSR Tele Silver Supporting Member

I live on the east side of metropolitan Detroit
    I have mine after the OD pedals (usually a Rockett Blue Note>Timmy>Astrotone) I only use one OD pedal at a time, and they are set for "a little hair", "a little more" and the Astrotone is used for the most OD I use at any given time. I use the S/D for a clean boost to just get more of what ever is going on, set to light compression generally.