• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

durham sexdrive....overdrive tones...

lv

Silver Supporting Member
Tonight I was using my Les Paul with the Sexdrive, and with the gain turned up, this pedal does an incredible - slightly broken up tone...the kind that sounds great with full barre chords - and even with the tone control turned up full, the tone doesn't thin out or get harsh...just bright and chimey.

I had been using the Sexdrive primarily with my K-Line S, which has low output DiMarzio Area 67s in it, which don't overdrive the SD much. The pedal isn't really advertised as having much drive, so I was pleasantly surprised - this pedal is one of the most useful pedals I've owned....it does colorless clean boost, turn the tone up and you get a treble boost that really enhances clean tones...plus these low gain crunchy tones....and finally even when the thing is off it has the most transparent buffer I've heard.

nibus

It's a great boost pedal... one of the best in fact, and the gain knob is a deal clincher.

thesjkexperienc

^^^ I made this guitar^^^
I was checking out the Fat boosts and they didnt hold a candle to the Sex Drive! I tend to run my volume at full blast and use the drive knob for volume/grit. It seems to me the thickest sound is to not have compression.

Jumblefingers

Silver Supporting Member
It would be great to see a video of the SD doing overdrive into a clean amp and NOT pushing the volume...looks like it would be a great low gain OD.

I tried a Zia the other day and was very impressed. The ProGuitarShop video makes it sound ragged and kind of spitty but it sounded a lot like an amp, did not mess with the tone, the Tone knob was VERY smooth and useful and there was none of that "clipping-that-rides-on-top-of-the-guitar-sound" that fizzes as it decays. Reminded me of a Honey Bee.

How does a Sex Drive take pedals like a fuzz in front..like a sunface?

thesjkexperienc

^^^ I made this guitar^^^
Yes, I run my SD last so I dont overload anything. It also has a buffer which is amazing! Makes the signal fat with more sustain even when off. I was thinking of changing to a Fat BOost 2 and I really missed the buffer on the SD! Even when the FB was on it didnt have the line drive effect that the SD does even when off. The SD has a really high headroom and I havent been able to drive it with anything. I have many fuzzes and an ocd and they all work great before the SD. Some people run it into their ODs to drive them, but I havent tried that I use a treble booster for that. The buffer will mess up your fuzzes if the SD is placed before them.

You can see my HC review of the SD under sjk.

ben_allison

YETI

I'm waiting on a Timmy for lo-gain rhythm OD and for pushing other OD's....
Now I am wondering what a SD / Zia drive combo would do.... Anybody tried this ?

cwilliams963

I just got one in trade and all i got to say is WOW! This thing is awesome. I kept it on all night pretty much. I occasionally stakced it with a Timmy and RC booster. Sex Drive>Timmy>RC Booster. An excellent combination. Even my wife could tell the difference.

Stratosfear

i traded for mine (from bigbadpj actually) and must say i find this pedal incredibly impressive. i have tried many boosts and it is probably the best. my only complaint is i wish it had slightly more low end. but really it is borderline perfect!

Jumblefingers

Silver Supporting Member
Anyone able to post a clip of the SD as a mild OD into a clean amp at unity gain...not pushing the amp with a strat? I'd like to know how MUCH mile OD you can get with the pedal knowing it will be low to mild OD.

Funny thing is what some consider "mild OD" can actually quite a bit based on some descriptions here and first hand experience so one mans ceiling kind of thing....

lv

Silver Supporting Member
Anyone able to post a clip of the SD as a mild OD into a clean amp at unity gain...not pushing the amp with a strat? I'd like to know how MUCH mile OD you can get with the pedal knowing it will be low to mild OD.

Funny thing is what some consider "mild OD" can actually quite a bit based on some descriptions here and first hand experience so one mans ceiling kind of thing....
I might be able to do this today, strat or les paul?

markw1980

I had one on loan to me for a while, and I loved it. The clean boost/OD is great, and I also loved the compressor. I wish that the Compressor had a separate stomp switch. That, to me, would make it incredibly useful.

Trending Topics