DV Mark Micro 50?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Paul Conway, May 9, 2016.

1. Paul Conway

Paul Conway Member

Anyone tried it? Looks like it might be a Quilter competitor I can actually try out...

2. Jim234

Jim234 Member

Sorry late to the party I have one of these.

I took advantage of a preferential UK - Europe exchange rate and picked one up for not much more than some of the boutique pedals I've been looking at.

1. Quality of build good. Solid feel to all the nobs and switches. Feels a bit heavier than you would actually expect. Overall looks a quality piece of gear nothing cheap about it.
    2. Features everything you would expect but no FX loop. DI out has no cabinet emulation.
    3. This has 2 channels, actually no it does not it has one channel ;). The second 'channel' is an OD which is layered on top of channel 1. Only Channel 1 has the full EQ. The EQ on the second channel is the typical EQ that you would find on a OD pedal.
    4. The 'Channels' are footswtchable, if you buy a FS.
    5. Sound - subjective so take this with a pinch of salt. Channel 1 lets call it Fendery Silver face type sounds. With my Gibson LPs it sounded a bit bass heavy, certainly I had to drop the bass and bump the mids and treb to get to where I wanted. It seems to open up a bit as you pump the volume. Not much to say about channel 2, you can get to the lighter end of a medium crunch with the drive dimmed. I think the EQ they have added is useful but remember this is layered on the top of Channel 1 so the EQ on channel 1 affects everything on channel 2.
    6. How does it take pedals? The lower gain drives were just fine. I had an issue with the Xotic SL Drive, this seemed to have some fizzyness comming through. I have found before that not all Drives sit well with every amp so although a little disappointed (since I like this pedal a lot) I should not have been surprised.
    7. How loud - yep plenty in the tank here. No hesitation to gig with this at small and medium gigs.
    8. Is this going to replace my main rig? Er nope. I am currently gigging a THR100 as clean pedal platofrm, this a decent piece of kit which is double the price of the Micro 50. As you would expect it does sounds better - you get what you pay for. However this is a super little back up. If the THR goes pop during a gig the Micro 50 will do a fine job, no concerns about having to break this out mid gig.

That's it folks this is the sum of my experience so far. It would be good to hear from anyone else, especially with regard to the higher gain drive pedal fizz that I noted.

Cheers

Ozan and ToneGrail like this.
  3. jpage

jpage Member

Thanks for the early review on this. No loop and no speaker emulation on the XLR out are deal killers for me. Bummer.

4. Jim234

Jim234 Member

Update still have the DV Micro 50. The Fizz issue I EQ'd out so all good.

@jpage Yep your right man. I miss a presence as well did not mention that in my review. BUT it is a very good back up or grab and go where you need lighten the load. Dragging around two full sized heads or another combo can be a complete pain the ass.

5. Paul Conway

Paul Conway Member

Re: drive pedal with SS - try a lovepedal eternity burst....

6. barfoden

barfoden Member

YES a bit weird to add an xlr out without being able to add a guitar speaker/ cab emulation.

7. ToneGrail

ToneGrail Member

Mine just arrived today.

I have a Crate Powerblock I got when they first came out and while it sounds ok for clean tones, it never took to my distortion pedals well. It always had a harshness I couldn't dial out and a lack of presence at the same time. The only way I can describe it is like listening to an AM transistor radio with a tiny speaker.

In my quest for a lightweight gigging option, I had recently ordered a Quilter 101 Mini and then an SIB Charger. I eventually ended up sending both of them back.

While both the aforementioned amps were very compact and light, in my experience neither took to my pedals well. The Quilter was just dull sounding even with the hi-cut all the way off and the Tri Q all the way on. At full band volume, the SIB Charger seemed to suffer from a similar harshness the afflicts the Powerblock except not as bad but at the same time lacked the clean headroom of the Powerblock.

The Micro 50 takes my pedals extremely well and cuts through the mix much better without the harshness. I have yet to try it at full band volume yet but will report back after some extensive A/B tests. So far my conclusion is that it takes amp-in-a-box pedals much better than either the Powerblock, Quilter or SIB.

Jim234 likes this.
  8. ToneGrail

ToneGrail Member

Does your fan ever come on? Mine hasn't come on but I'm not sure if it's only supposed to come on when the amp gets hot.

9. Jim234

Jim234 Member

LOL I've been wondering that as well. Never come on yet. The fan does not come on on my THR100 head either. Clearly too cold in the UK :)

10. ToneGrail

ToneGrail Member

Has anyone found a padded soft case that will fit this?

11. Jim234

Jim234 Member

Yes I have one. Can't remember the model number but if you go on the GatorCases.com site and put in the dimensions it comes up with a decent suggestion.

Its a decent case that is well padded, however I have put some extra ballast in the case itself because there is some room for movement.

12. ToneGrail

ToneGrail Member

Is the one?
    http://www.gatorcases.com/p/210122-2270/g-mixerbag-0909

13. Jim234

Jim234 Member

14. ToneGrail

ToneGrail Member

Wouldn't the 9x9x2.75 model fit better?

15. Jim234

Jim234 Member

Once I had got mine I did recheck on the gator site. When I slightly adjusted the sizes it came up with your suggestion. Too late by then of course. I think it might have been height which drove it to g-multifx-1110 model. I think the model your going for is a slightly newer version of the same mixer bag I have for my small mixer. Again a very good product.

ToneGrail likes this.