• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

DV Mark Neoclassic 2x12 - anyone have or try one?

retroLS1

So it's that time of year again to try some new gear. I currently am playing a Dr. Z 'Z Best' 2x12 and while it sounds awesome, it is a beast to haul around. Fairly large for a 2x12 and fairly heavy (60lbs I believe). In my searching I came across this DV Mark 2x12 with neodymium speakers and it caught my eye. 27lbs for a 2x12 is very appealing. Currently playing a Bogner Atma (for sale!) and will have a PWE EH3 inbound soon. I had looked briefly at a Matrix NL212 as well but GC does not carry it any more (I can get a decent discount through GC which is why I am looking there, no other reason).

http://www.guitarcenter.com/DV-Mark-DV-Neoclassic-2x12-Guitar-Speaker-Cabinet-110153608-i3658837.gc

From some of the reviews I've read it seems like a good cabinet but I wanted to see if anyone had any first-hand experience with it. Neo speakers are popular in the bass world but you don't see them in guitar cabs nearly as much and I don't know if there's a reason for that or not. Has the tech just not 'caught on' yet with guitar cab manufacturers, is it like a carburetor versus EFI kind of thing? Old school "if it ain't broke don't fix it" ?

Any other manufacturers out there making good neo-loaded 2x12's in the $500 range? I know there are neo's you can swap in (Eminence Tonkerlite, Jenson Jet, etc.) but would like to get just something from the factory ready to go.

eddie knuckles

Gold Supporting Member

I play a DV40 212. from 0.5 class A to 40 watts Class AB tone at 37lbs, I get alot out of what I ask of this amp. I currently have 6L6's in the power slots, but it can accept 6V6 or EL-34 as well. As far as the speakers are concerned, they are Neodymium Hifi speakers. I have been gigging this amp for 2 years or so now without an issue. Bob Lanzetti from Snarky Puppy rocked these amps for several years. DV Mark is a MarkBass subsidiary. For the money, I am very happy with my purchase. I am assuming these are the same speakers in your cabinet. I say GO!

Good luck on your quest.

retroLS1

I do like Markbass gear (though the yellow can be a bit much) and I think overall "Mark" is a pretty solid company. Thanks for your input.

retroLS1

Matrix was on my list as well. Figured it and the DV Mark would be pretty similar. I would prefer to buy from Guitar Center as I can get a pretty good discount and unfortunately it looks like the Matrix NL212 is not carried by them anymore. Bummer because they carried them a few months ago I believe.

wickedcookie

Silver Supporting Member
I just played through the neo 2x12 cab a couple hours ago at guitar center. It was just sort of a happy accident. I saw a used jtm45 reissue and wanted to try it out, and it happened to be plugged in to the dv cab. I looked at it before I turned the amp on, saw that it had neo speakers and wondered how informative it would really be to try a jtm through this can, but I wasn't about to move everything around to get it hooked up to a more traditional Marshall cab, especially considering the only one in the room was fitted with g12t75s.

So, long story short, perfectly good speakers. They certainly weren't the ideal match to the jtm, but they sounded good, they were full, had tight bass and weren't harsh in the treble range. They preserved the thick jtm tone, but I got the feeling theyd would be more in their element paired with something more modern in design. In a pinch, however, I could be completely satisfied going to a gig with the jtm and the dv cab, and I certainly can't say that about every cab\speaket I've tried.

retroLS1

Cool, thank for the hands-on review. If I can sell my Z Best cab I think I might give one a shot and see how it works out. I was a bit concerned with it sounding too hi-fi but if they give just a "clean" sound of your amp, I am ok with that. I will be powering it with a PWE Event Horizon 3.

buddaman71

Student of Life
Gold Supporting Member
i just bought a DV Neo212 cab and liked it so much i bought a 2nd one for my stereo rigs. it's ultra lightweight (27 lbs!!) and compact, but still very big and open sounding. excellent build quality as well.

the neo speakers have a very articulate/hi-fi, yet warm and non-spiky feel...using with my Fender Mustang V head, they instantly revealed how good the Fender DSP/Modeling really is compared to the cheap Fender cabinet i previously had...it's night and day better...i've owned many Mesa/Marshall/etc cabs in my 31-year playing career, but these are my fave...really great...

PS: they are currently on sale for $469 at GC

Last edited:

retroLS1

Are they on sale? I just pulled them up and it still says $569. I am still interested in this cab but I really wish I had a chance to try one out against my Z Best 2x12. I love how my amp sounds through the Z Best but it is just a bear to move. I am hesitant to sell the Z Best and try out one of the DV Mark's and find I don't like it as much. Unfortunately I am not in a financial position to buy the DV Mark and A/B it against the Z Best and sell/return whichever I don't like.

buddaman71

Student of Life
Gold Supporting Member
i bought 2 of them in the last 3 weeks and got both for $469. one was in the store, and i liked it so much i called and my GC rep ordered another one at $469 and had it shipped to my house in 2 days. more i play on it, the more i like it. definitely the best sounding 212 cab i've ever owned and so incredibly compact and lightweight it almost feels fake when i pick it up...super nice quality construction tho...way better than "boutique" cabs i've paid 2-3x as much for in the past.

retroLS1

i bought 2 of them in the last 3 weeks and got both for $469. one was in the store, and i liked it so much i called and my GC rep ordered another one at $469 and had it shipped to my house in 2 days. more i play on it, the more i like it. definitely the best sounding 212 cab i've ever owned and so incredibly compact and lightweight it almost feels fake when i pick it up...super nice quality construction tho...way better than "boutique" cabs i've paid 2-3x as much for in the past.
Interesting. I really wish my local GC stores would stock them... I need to try one out before pulling the trigger.

gkoelling

What speakers do they use? I tried a Tonkerlite and couldn't get it out of my amp fast enough. Thin, no body to the tone.

Thanks

buddaman71

Student of Life
Gold Supporting Member
If you want to hear it, here's a simple iPhone in the room recording of my DV40-212 (same speakers and design as the neo212 cab) at an impromptu blues jam sitting in with a friend. (I'm not a blues player-singer, so don't judge too harshly:)

I'm playing the clean sliding chords and singing then I played the 1st solo and the stacked climbing part on the 2nd solo, as well as the scat/solo at the end.

My buddy Chris (excellent player) is the middle solos (his p-90-loaded Vintage LP sounds great, even with excessive hum)

johnhager25

I'm also looking at the DV Mark DV Neoclassic 2x12 Guitar Speaker, I have some boogie 2x12 cabs but there about 61 lbs.

Trending Topics