• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Dyna comp fans or no

blues

Silver Supporting Member
I had an original script logo back in the day. I did not use it as its meant to be used. I would turn it up three quarters of the way and use it for a boost.

I would just used it between the guitar and amp nothing else. Got the dirt from cranking the amp and the pedal to boost for solo stuff. In the end it made to much noise using it that way so I gave it to a friend.

ClassicLP

Dyna comp has an impact on tone. Not everyone sees that as a bad thing! Some guys, especially funk guys, loved that effect.

I used it for a long time. These days, I have the custom comp.

Sigmund

I had an original script logo back in the day. I did not use it as its meant to be used. I would turn it up three quarters of the way and use it for a boost.
It actually sounds pretty damn good used this way!
I used to run mine with the compression at 9 o'clock and level at 2-3 o'clock.

SurfGreenTele

Love my '80 block logo Dyna!!! Smooth & fat, and mine isn't noticeably noisy. I like it with single coils, sometimes for squish or less squish and a little boost (knobs pointed at each other). It could suck tone, but I don't really obsess about that much anymore.

DecoWaves

Gold Supporting Member
I liked my Dyna Comp ... and then I really liked it when I had it modded. Let it be said that I don't do the Chicken Pick'n -- I play rock, blues, and reggae. It was an always on pedal for me as it provided a nice buffer effect along with some clarity and sparkle with a little bit of percussive attack. As someone else shared on this thread, I had the Pedal set to the "Snake Eye" setting with the Output around 3pm and the Sensitivity set to about 9pm on the dials. This was a lighter compression setting but still giving it a bit of bite and helping to boost the gain pedals as needed later in the chain.

As much as I wanted to keep it, I don't have the funds to sit on pedals I don't use. I had switched to the Barber Tone Press as I like the parallel compression implementation since I do leave my compressor on all the time. The blend knob gives me a bit more control.

gennation

I agree, it's a decent boost and it's great for the chicken pickin' and funk stuff. Other than that it (like any compressor) is good for specific needs...

My main reason for having it is to run it in front of my EHX B9 and C9 organ pedals. It helps even their dynamics out because they can get pretty dynamic and clicky at times. I might even try it on the output of those pedals too. I'm thinking it would smooth out the dynamics there for sure. Oh no, I might end up with two, one on the input and one on the output! Help me!

Tmidiman

Great for bass and adding some gain to push a bass amp into growl territory. Never use a bass overdrive when the tone from this combo is so delicious.

Squatch57

Another Custom Comp fan here...I love the tone, even though it's got limited tweakability
It's instant LA production tone
I also like it in front of the Q-tron+ to even out the erratic peaks
I've got a Tone Press for more neutral compression

broken_sound

Silver Supporting Member
I'm a fan of the Ross style compressors, but the Dyna Comp has never worked for me. I went through two different ones, plenty of part swaps, MTBF was usually around a month. I finally gave up and went to a Keeley 2 knob, which can be found used for new Dyna Comp prices, and never looked back. The Keeley is much more open and less damaging to your overall sound.

beexter

Tried to like it. Bizarrely, I bought a Biyang Baby Boom Compress X for peanuts - it's allegedly a direct clone of the Dyna but it has a MUCH lower noise floor. It bumped the real Dyna Comp off my board.

I then discovered the Xotic SP and that is what I use now. It's just brilliant and does exactly what I want a compressor to do which is increase sustain without losing my initial attack. I know it's not unique to the SP (credit to Barber and Wampler) but the blend control is, IMO, where the magic is.

stucker

I have an original mid-70's script Dynacomp that is always on in my signal path. If I could only keep one of my many effects that Dynacomp would be it!

Trending Topics