Dyna comp that preserves tone

mrwrang

I have a Dyna Comp and while I really like the feel of the attack, the treble suck when it is engaged is really bothering me. I just got myself a Philisopher's Tone and while it doesn't suck treble as much the response of the comp is too slow for me (I found out it was an optical comp after I bought it) it also has a bass/low mids boost that I dislike, though it's not a huge deal.
So I'm looking for the dyna comp feel for snappy percussive stuff ala 80's King Crimson and John Frusciante, but without the treble suck, also a smoothened release on would be appreciated and a clean blend would be nice.
Xotic SP compressor, keeley 2-knob or??

mrwrang

Tone references:
King Crimson - Frame By Frame (all guitar parts)
Frusciante - My smile is a rifle, Under The Bridge (intros)

voodoochili12

I don't dislike the treble suck of my Keeley Compressor, but I find that the Bearfoot Pale Green Compressor has a great EQ that can brighten and darken overall tone and shape the compression in a pleasant way. Disclaimer: I keep my compressor on all the time for VERY light comp only to gel and squash my tone a little bit. I don't typically as an 'effect'.

I've that Barber Tone Press is very transparent, as well.

mrwrang

Yea, I'm going to use the comp as an effect, so I can't go change amp settings to compensate for the tone change, and I would rather not have to an EQ in a loop with the comp. Does the Pale Green have te same kind of feel as the keeley? I know the keeley is a dyna/ross clone, so I suppose the feel of the comp is roughly the same as my dyna?

Last edited:

lv

Silver Supporting Member
The SP is great and doesn't darken, keep the bright switch on.

Mad Professor forest green is great too, also has a tone knob, can be neutral, bright or dark.

Lucidology

Silver Supporting Member
The SP adds a certain … don't know how to put it … sharpness or focus to the tone …
though I like this … it's definitely a 'flavor' …

My Maxon CP101 gives a nice squish but never interferes with the basic tone …
It's one I always seem to return too … though I've a collection of compressors I've tried over the last so many year.s.
All unique and slightly different from each other …

Compressors all have their own way to treating guitar tones …
some just add shimmer with very little squish …
& some round off the treble just a touch …

Once you develop an ear for what a compressor is capable of …
then it's a matter of deciding what's right for you.

Belmont

Tone references:
King Crimson - Frame By Frame (all guitar parts)
Frusciante - My smile is a rifle, Under The Bridge (intros)
Belew used a Dynacomp during the Crimson era, so you already have the right comp.
Frusciante also used Dynacomp and Boss compressors.

I think it's how you use it that determines how it will sound, I don't mean that in a dickish way.

I have an old block logo as well as original script logo Dynacomp and they don't have treble suck like you describe.
I also use a mij Boss CS-3 which has a tone knob on it, you can add top end with that one, it's one of my all time favourite comps.

mrwrang

Belew used a Dynacomp during the Crimson era, so you already have the right comp.
Frusciante also used Dynacomp and Boss compressors.

I think it's how you use it that determines how it will sound, I don't mean that in a dickish way.

I have an old block logo as well as original script logo Dynacomp and they don't have treble suck like you describe.
I also use a mij Boss CS-3 which has a tone knob on it, you can add top end with that one, it's one of my all time favourite comps.
I get you, no offence taken. It's not like I'm trying to find a pedal that'll sound like those samples. My dyna comp really responds how I'd like it to, so it's just a matter of fixing the treble roll off, so that my EQ doesn't change so dramaticly when I switch the pedal on. A slight boost in treble wouldn't hurt actually. Borrowed a friends cs-3 once, but I didn't know how to use it back then, but I'm gonna give it another go!

Thanks for the suggestions, I'm gonna try out the comps you guys mentioned, feel free to add more to the list. Again, I'm just looking for the dyna comp feel with less of a tone change than my Dunlop version.

Last edited:

mrwrang

My Maxon CP101 gives a nice squish but never interferes with the basic tone …
It's one I always seem to return too … though I've a collection of compressors I've tried over the last so many year.s.
All unique and slightly different from each other …
A quick googling of the cp101 told me that it is an optical comp, but are you saying it responds in a similar way to the dyna, or are you simply suggesting another type of comp?

lv

Silver Supporting Member
Sounds like the OP wants an 'improved' dynacomp - the SP is that, its reasonably priced - and offers some versatility with the four dip switches on the board, plus the blend allows more tranparency than a dyna comp. I think the SP is the one to get.

rust_in_peace

Get yourself the MXR Custom Comp. Has all the things you're familiar with for a dyna comp, but with internal attack and tone trimpots. I have one I may be willing to part with. If your interested, PM me.

sanhozay

klon free since 2009
Gold Supporting Member
why not the keeley? it was the best ross klone when it first hit the scene, and remains excellent and very little besting it.

you can source them used for $150 or less. the old boards did not have an attack knob, so just make sure you get one that does.

dyno-comps are not slow attack comps, to my ears. the keeley can be set faster & slower. if you need access to an attack knob to constantly adjust then you want something with the adjustment on the face of the pedal.

the ross circuits & all the clones feel/hear like a little top end has been shaved. for most tele bridge pickers that's a desirable component. also, the dyna comp has a flavor, and the keeley is that flavor with true bypass, better components & a lot less noise. it colors but is more transparent, compared to the dyna. some players like the color the dyna comp & boss cs-2 imparts on their tone.

the wampler ego can add in some lost treble and also lets you blend in the comp with your base signal, for more transparency and tone retention. it has three more knobs than my keeley but i don't think it kills the keeley, but it will function with more variations and is the uber ross clone; until keeley releases that new beast of a compresor.

Jacob Van Noy

I think you should look at the new compact Tone Press from Barber. I have an original and I love it. It just slightly tames the high end but the new compact has a brilliance switch to bring back the highs as well as a fast/slow switch and the awesome parallel blend.

fr8_trane

Silver Supporting Member
The barber tone press is a dynacomp with a clean blend. The clean blend should allow you to maintain more treble than a stock dynacomp. Its also MUCH more versatile than the stock comp due to the blend feature.

S. F. Sorrow

There is something about those old Dyna comps. Used one for years on my old Rickenbacker. Really brought out the jangle. Didn't realize it colored the sound when it was off. No one talked much of true bypass years ago.

Pa'ani

Silver Supporting Member
I have had an original '75 MXR Script Dyna Comp on my main pedal-board for several years it worked great for my needs. Presently I am using a Xotic Effects SP Compressor and I really love how it sounds and feels with my current setup!

Tbow,E

I'm going agree with Rust_In_Peace and say try the MXR Custom Comp. I swapped my DynaComp for it a couple years ago and loved it. It felt and sounded like it added life back to the guitar signal, in comparison.

nerdbot

CMAT Mods Deluxe Signa Comp. Based around the ross/dynacomp circuit but with a lot more control and sounded more neutral to me.

Trending Topics