Dyna Red... hows that working for you?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Webfoot, Jan 21, 2012.

1. Webfoot

Webfoot Supporting Member

Now looking for a good medium to high gain pedal. Not the RIOT level but something for classic rock that hangs together for rhythms and leads.

Anyone using the BJFE Dyna Red?

Keeper?

2. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Just reviewed the Bearfoot Fx Dyna Red in the Tourbox thread. I think it holds together very well for classic rock. It's a smoothing overdrive with lots of gain on tap and decent flexibility from the EQ. I could absolutely see getting by with that and turning down my guitar volume for a crunch tone... It also stacks really well with lower gain ODs (tried the Rock Candy, the Honey Bee, the Zim and a few others).

3. Webfoot

Looking for tasteful. I just a AC Booster and am amazed. Had the BB many years ago and not quite right to my ears. So looking for something like the AC Booster but higher gain.

Anything else you have tried that was better the DynaRed?

Have not seen any youtube with the gain set at 9 o'clock and wondering how good the gain range is.

I am on the list somewhere for the tourbox but it will probably be a while.

4. Hulakatt

Hulakatt Supporting Member

I have the Bearfoot drd. I ca not say enough good things about this pedal. It cleans up very well. It dirts up real good. it is very amp like in it's feel and response and the onset of distortion is very dynamic. It's really like cranking a plexi and controling it with guitar knobs. I've never had the need to run past 3:00, plenty of grit on tap. I usually run mine with the gain around 10-11 to get a beautiful on-the-edge-of-breakup depending on pick attack.

I do like it much more than my honey bee but I'm not selling that anytime soon either :)

5. 66Park

66Park Member

If you really like the way the AC sounds but need more drive, how about pushing it with a clean boost?

6. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

Pete has the Carl Martin Plexitone on his board but he really needs to do a shootout of the DRD vs. The plexitone vs. the Pinnacle

7. Webfoot

66park... did try the push with the timmy.. but not the same as pushing tubes...

fr8 trane... yeah it was that vid that got me going on the dyna red...

just looking for that good zz top tush... or gary moore dirt..

8. BluesHarp

BluesHarp Member

Wow.. that was a great demo.

I didnt care for the H at all.. something about the harmonics and high end.

I ordered the bearfoot dyna red hot ( which is a higher gain version ) and I am really excited to get it. I had a bjfe drd at one time and after comparing it to a Dirty Little Secret.. I kept the DLS. The DlS seemed to cut very good and was excellent with medium gain. Im hoping the dyna red hot version will provide me some high gain plexi goodness and perhaps earn another try at my board.

9. Mooncef

Mooncef Member

Is The standard DynaRed hand made ?

10. King Rat

King Rat Member

All the Dyna Reds Bearfoot/BJFE stuff is handmade.

The Mad Professor has a hand made version and a PCB one.. which the PCB actually has more volume and is cheaper win/win.

Don Rusk likes this.
  11. King Rat

King Rat Member

Btw i am a huge fan of bjf/bearfoot/mad professor.

I currently use the basic bearfoot one... it's just a really really really fun pedal. I have an old rat that I like too. But I'm using either the bearfoot dyna red or bjf bbod for my van halen type sounds...

I had the Jw mad professor. No complaints just didn't stick around that's all.

12. Mooncef

Mooncef Member

I'm a bit confused ! so Madprofessor has a version of the Dynared ?
    and what makes BJFE more expensive than the standard Bearfoot if both are hand made ? is it just the fact the BJORN him self makes 'em ?

I was looking at the mighty red distortion , i quite liked but heard a lot of great things about the DynaRed , i'm actualy not realy a distortion guy , i'm mainly into blues and jazz , but would like to have a higher gain pedal for more modern Blues or jazz sounds , with looong sustained notes ! without realy being very dirty or metal sounding !
    so i wonder if the dynared fits this need

13. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Biggus Bearfootus Vendor

some clarification ....

Bjorn Juhl / BJFE Designs 4 different lines ...

BJFe he builds with his own hands.

BearFoot are handmade by me/us in St. Louis and are bjf copies as close as possible ....

MP are designs that are easier to mass produce and some are handwired where possible...

Bjorn also just this year opened a line with One Control and they are mini pedals made in Japan.

In addidtion to the ones mentioned for british tones you should also check out the BearFoot Emerald Green Distortion Machine or OD depending on the level of dirt/compression you want..... and the new One Control Purple Plexifier ( very useful mid control) ....

If you want sustain/ compression without getting a separate compressor you might like the Emerald Green OD as it has less actual dirt with more vox like sustain at the higher levels ....

hope that helps .....Don

Last edited: Nov 5, 2016
    Mooncef likes this.
  14. reentune

reentune Supporting Member

Dyna Red has been the only BJFE/Bearfoot pedal I didn't like.
    Sounded strident/astringent with my setup.

Now the Model H and all its variations just blows my mind.

But across the board, the Bearfoot stuff is just some of the best-sounding, most ampy pedals ever.

Don Rusk likes this.
  15. King Rat

King Rat Member

16. King Rat

King Rat Member

if Distortion is not your thing but you still want that higher gain/sustained pedal for blues/rock!

Definitely check out the OCD my friend!

17. King Rat

King Rat Member

Oh also the black cat OD-1

18. King Rat

King Rat Member

back when i was in a MP phase with the mighty red

[​IMG]

19. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Biggus Bearfootus Vendor

Yeah thats usually speaker choice and the EQs dont match up ... and why we make the whole range of amp tones - the Dyna Red, Model H and Emerald Green DM and OD are all for various British tones and the speaker is the final tone control and sometimes they dont match up .....

20. johnh

johnh Silver Supporting Member

Great sounding pedals.