Dyna Red vs. Baby Blue (forum member input needed)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Monster Plexi, Mar 22, 2006.

1. Monster Plexi

Monster Plexi Member

This is going to be a little long winded and for that I apologize…

After doing forum searches, getting feedback from forum members in a thread regarding the Dyna Red, and listening to numerous samples on the Custom-Sounds site, I have a question regarding tonality differences between the Dyna Red and Baby Blue.

Brief Background:
    I purchased a Dyna Red and feel like it has some attenuation on the bottom end frequencies… which may be necessary in order to keep the low end tight given the overall amount of gain that’s available at extreme gain settings… which is “a lot”. That said, I still have the pedal in my possession and have not cut it loose yet until I evaluate other BJFE model options.

My question concerns a comparison between the Dyna Red and Baby Blue found on the Custom-Sounds site (Dyna Review) which states:
    “Dyna Red is more dynamic than Baby Blue with less compression and more output and gain. It has different tone, more modern with less higher mids and more lower mids, it has also more low end and different overtones in high end. Dyna Red has more of the high end and it was one of the design starting-points: to have very nice high end and enough of it. Not piercing or buzzing treble but a tone that cuts true a loud band and give nice clarity and distinctness on notes. Dyna Red also has more "crunch" than Baby Blue OD. The tone in more aggressive and reacts better into picking strength.”

So my question is, do you agree with the comments above in that:
    1) Does the Dyna have less compression than the Baby Blue?
    2) Does the Dyan have more bottom than the Baby Blue?
    3) Is the Dyna more dynamic than the Baby Blue in terms of rolling back the guitar volume knob?

I’m not too concerned about gain differences as I only run the Dyna at 12 or 1 o’clock on the gain and feel that the Baby Blue maxed out can probably get close to that amount of gain level.

The reason I’m asking is that I’m considering getting a Baby Blue, but I want to get a consensus from the forum members’ knowledge base and make an informed decision before I make a move to replace the Dyna with a Baby Blue.

Thanks much . :BEER

2. Chrissy

Chrissy Member

Where do you set the tone and volume on the DRD?

I have a DRD and used to own a BBOD and I would agree with the descriptions that you found at Custom Sounds. I find the DRD is a little "difficult" to get adjusted to the perfect mix of tight bass but still pleasant highs - there is only a small area of the tone control that works well in my rig: 09:30-10:00ish. Having said that, once the tone control is dialled in I think you need to have the volume up a bit too in order not to feel like you lose bass.

DRD works great in a band and is nice and responsive for sure. Actually, it's the only higher gain pedal I still own.

Regards
    Chris

3. playon

playon Supporting Member

I haven't tried the DRD but I would strongly recommend you consider the Emerald Green distortion/overdrive. It's similar to the BBOD but is much more flexible and versatile, it can get into higher gain territory but is clearer sounding than the BB as well as having a lot more headroom. Don't make your decision just based on the sound clips.

4. Monster Plexi

Monster Plexi Member

Chris,

Thanks much for your response. I typically run the controls as follows: Volume around 12 o'clock, tone from 9 to 10 o'clock and gain from 12 to 1 o'clock. Interesting to hear you had both a Baby Blue and Dyna and chose to keep the Dyna. I'll try bumping the volume and see if that helps.

Best Regards. :AOK

5. Monster Plexi

Monster Plexi Member

Playon,

Thanks for the tip about the EGDM. I've used a lot of info in addition to sound clips to try and help me make the best selection. The best info has come from reading posts right here on The Gear Page.

I did consider the EGDM... but ultimately held off on getting one sent since it was described as having a vox like voicing... certainly nothing wrong with that at all... and I like voxes, but I'm wanting a different tonality than that. Also, I read one reveiw here that described the EGDM as having a "toothy" like bite to it... and I'm looking for something browner and smoother... so that led me towards considering a Baby Blue.

But, I certainly want to make the most informed decision I can possibly make if I decide to cut loose the Dyna.

Thanks again for your response.

6. Monster Plexi

Monster Plexi Member

Do any other forum members have any direct experience with both the Dyan Red and Baby Blue?

If so, I'd like to hear your recommendation.

7. JKoeth

JKoeth Supporting Member

You should email bjorn directly or contact Pinkstrat.

You may like the Honey Bee as it can have a huge bass.

8. basscracker

basscracker Guest

the BBOD might not even be a option as it is being discoutined :(.

9. Chrissy

Chrissy Member

My pleasure.

Since the EGDM came up, I tried that and do hear the toothy thing a bit as well. I forgot to ask if you're more a SC/HB/p90 guy? what's your main axe? I liked the thickness you can get from a BBOD on the high strings but prefer it with the gain low to medium. Whilst you are right that a cranked BBOD can give enough gain compared to your DRD settings, it is definitely not as tight.

Chris

10. Monster Plexi

Monster Plexi Member

Basscracker,

Yeah, I had heard the Baby Blue was going to be discontinued... but I had placed an order for one... after reading Chris's reply above, I may cancel the order and just stick with the Dyna instead.

Thanks.

11. Monster Plexi

Monster Plexi Member

My main axes are a strat hum/2single and a esquire with a Tom Anderson TD3+ pickup (I needed the noise cancelling). I use both about equally and run them into a '68 50w plexi head into a Marshall reissue 4x12.

That's good information about the Baby Blue not being as tight at higher gain levels... based on that aspect, I might just need to hang with the Dyna... but it would be cool to at least hear a Baby Blue in person just to make sure.

Also, I did try to bump the volume control up a bit on the Dyan and ended up setting it at about 1:00-1:30... and just as you mentioned, it seemed to help the bass limiting a bit. I still feel like there is "some degree" of bass loss, but I imagine it's that way to keep the bass nice and tight at higher gain levels. I do like the overall warmth that the Dyna can achieve at lower treble levels.

Thanks again for your input! :BEER