Dynamic Reverb

Yeltnebwerdna

Hi There,

Ok so i'm a relative newbie with tech stuff so go easy.........

My amp is single channel has no effects loop or built in reverb. I am therefore running a reverb pedal into the front end (mooer skyverb). I use a fairly small amount of 'verb and leave it on all the time as I prefer a basic / simple setup and don't particularly enjoy messing about with pedals whilst playing. I also like to control my volume / tone through the guitar controls.

Problem I've found is that if I set the reverb to my desired level for my clean sound with the guitar volume down, there is then more reverb than I want with the volume pot fully open for my overdrive sound (i'm only using a modest amount of gain and playing blues / blues rock). If anything, I think i'd prefer less reverb on my overdrive / lead sound than on my clean sound but that's the opposite of what i'm getting.

Might there be a solution to this with my current pedal? Or can anyone recommend a dynamic / transparent alternative that might do a better job without busting the bank? I prefer compact / simple gear and I believe that the TC have done a toneprint with JD simo for the Hall of Fame that's supposed to work in this way. Anybody used it?

Sorry for the long / slightly vague question and thanks in advance

Andrew

-Empire

Most reverbs are designed like that. The harder you hit it, the more reverb you get. For blues you don't need a bunch of verb, just turn off the pedal when you're playing lead. If you have it set to a subtle setting it will get lost in the mix anyway. Plus most rooms have enough natural reverb for that style, so you shouldn't have to worry about sounding too dry.

Check out the TC Nova Reverb - I'm pretty sure it has a dynamic reverb that would do exactly as you like. The other option would a reverb with presets, such as the Blue Sky. You could have two presets, one for clean, one for dirty and just switch between.

thats such a specific use it wouldnt surprise me if noone ever even thought of that as being an issue to address. dynamic reverb would only do the ducking feature, not at all what youre looking for.

your only option is either using 2 reverb presets (lol) or setting it up for your dirty tone and then having less than ideal reverb on clean tones.

Yeltnebwerdna

Kinda surprises me that it's an unusual / specific request but like I say i'm a relative newbie to tech stuff. Can you explain the ducking feature you mentioned? I assume that's where it responds to picking dynamics rather than volume? thanks

bobotwt

Silver Supporting Member
I've wondered about the same thing for years. TC recently made a toneprint for JD Simo for the same purpose. I have thought about the idea of a parallel loop with a compressor and reverb, but I'm not sure if it would be ideal for accomplishing this. I hope there eventually is a solution.

Josh

Yeltnebwerdna

I've wondered about the same thing for years. TC recently made a toneprint for JD Simo for the same purpose. I have thought about the idea of a parallel loop with a compressor and reverb, but I'm not sure if it would be ideal for accomplishing this. I hope there eventually is a solution.

Josh

Yea I can see how that compressor idea might work, for my personal requirements i'm looking for something nice and simple / minimal. Looks like the TC might be the answer :)

northstar6000

Get a Boss LS-2. Its basically a 2 loop switcher, where you can switch between 2 effects chains with one stomp. Sounds complicated but its not. And the LS-2 is a super cheap pedal; I bought mine used for $50.

Put your drive in one loop and your reverb in the other loop. Then with one stomp you can switch between your reverb and drive sounds.

Yeltnebwerdna

Get a Boss LS-2. Its basically a 2 loop switcher, where you can switch between 2 effects chains with one stomp. Sounds complicated but its not. And the LS-2 is a super cheap pedal; I bought mine used for $50.

Put your drive in one loop and your reverb in the other loop. Then with one stomp you can switch between your reverb and drive sounds.
Will look into that, thanks :)

danbond

The Behringer RV600 has a ducking reverb that sounds great and works really nicely.

If you want cheap - that's the one!

Kinda surprises me that it's an unusual / specific request but like I say i'm a relative newbie to tech stuff. Can you explain the ducking feature you mentioned? I assume that's where it responds to picking dynamics rather than volume? thanks

its usually used for delays but reverbs too. it makes the effect level drop while youre playing and then when you stop playing the effect becomes more intense.
its mostly used for extreme delay settings for people that dont know how to play/ use their gear but the principal would be the same for delay- not what youre looking for.

Yeltnebwerdna

its usually used for delays but reverbs too. it makes the effect level drop while youre playing and then when you stop playing the effect becomes more intense.
its mostly used for extreme delay settings for people that dont know how to play/ use their gear but the principal would be the same for delay- not what youre looking for.
Ah thanks, i learned something :)

Trending Topics

Top Bottom