1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Dynamico Swingin' 66 Review!

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by XKnight, May 20, 2011.

1. XKnight

XKnight Member

I got this guitar recently from Jim at Tradarama and felt that it was worthy of a review. First off, it's very unique as you can see. Even controversial as it seems to bring out very strong feelings based on its looks. I dig guitars that are different and that's why I decided to give this one a try.

Now that I've had the guitar a few days, the way it looks seems perfectly natural to me although I will admit that my initial reaction was that this guitar was a cross between a Mosrite and a Salvatore Dali painting. Okay, enough about the looks, although I'm sure there will be plenty of interesting comments on aesthetics in this thread.:crazy

The guitar arrived in a very nice looking and high quality suede covered hard case with the "Dynamico" logo on it. As soon as I took the guitar out of the case I could feel the time and effort that was placed on building this guitar by its creator/luthier, Jay Ottenwess of Michigan. It simply feels like a quality guitar.

The specs include an Alder body with a Walnut top and Limba set neck. The scale length is 24.75" with a 12" radius and a medium C neck profile with bound Rosewood fingerboard. The pickups are underwound Fralin P-90s. The finish color is called crescent green and is a hand rubbed Nitro. The guitar weighs in at a light 7.4 pounds and is well balanced.

The guitar has low action and plays effortlessly. It's one of the fastest playing necks I've ever experienced. The tone has a growl and shimmer to it (not sure how else to explain it). Really nice clean tones and classic rock overdriven tones are there as well.

I'm really enjoying this unique guitar. :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Route234

Route234 Member

Its funny how a few little things can really make something look different. When I really look at those the main thing that looks funky is really just the bridge pickup. Makes the whole guitar look bizarre, but I do think its really cool looking. I think your take on the Mosrite with some Dali thrown in is a pretty good, maybe more Picasso to me than Dali but its a cool guitar IMO!

3. IPLAYLOUD

IPLAYLOUD Member

Great sense of humor and design. There were several models...are they still making Guitars?

4. Lihns

Lihns Member

Cross between a Mosrite and Salvador Dali painting? What's not to like about that? :p

5. XKnight

XKnight Member

Not sure since the website is down. I may try to email the builder and see what's up. I believe he had booths at NAMM in 2009 and 2010.

Here is the Los Alamos model.

[​IMG]

6. clemduolian

clemduolian Silver Supporting Member

WAAAAY cool. Great color too! Congrats and enjoy it.

7. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Supporting Member

they arent for me, but i think they look cool as hell! interesting, trippy..etc. it will get a lot of attention, good or bad!

8. mslugano

mslugano Supporting Member

Very cool. Wish it was 25.5" scale.