dynamics

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by smolder, Aug 10, 2008.

1. smolder

smolder Gold Supporting Member

so when I hear a player using single notes, open chords and power chord in a single phrase... and all have the same level or volume... it that just really good hands, or is that what a compressor pedal is for?

2. Austinrocks

Austinrocks Member

probably a compressor, or a limiter if its a recording, to keep from getting to loud, a compressor will add sustain, which is why I use them occasionally especially with a strat, LPs have to much sustain, have to palm mute them a lot or the notes smear, especially when playing chords.

3. The Captain

The Captain Supporting Member

If it's a recording, you can be sure it is compressed to hell.
    Live, well, good hands or some compression possibly.

4. dewey decibel

dewey decibel Supporting Member

we eat a lot of cheese and drink a lot of beer
    I don't think a compressor pedal is going to do that for you. Post compression yes, but not a pedal. It might help, but it has more to do with the player and the amp. If you're talking about overdriven sounds, then the amp is compressing hard and that helps even out everything.

5. elgalad

elgalad Senior Member

It's mostly in the hands. Ease up on the chords, dig in on the single-note stuff. Also, this only works within reason. I'm not a big fan of compression pedals live. I always feel that they choke chords, even when used sparingly. I will use a little compression on my solos though to help bring them up a bit in the mix and to get a bit more sustain happening.

6. rob2001

rob2001 Member

I'm thinkin it's the playing. Even with compression, pre or post, I can raise or lower dynamics by easing off or digging in.

7. JonR

JonR Member

A compressor pedal will do that, but you should be able to do it manually too.
    Compressors make it easy to achieve a pro-sounding even dynamic level (and smooth sustain without distortion), but they rob you of full dynamic control (via your hands on the strings).

Distortion is a kind of compression too, remember. It tends to smooth out dynamic levels.

Almost certainly, a pro recording will have compression on it. If not on the guitar before recording, it will be added later. Vocals and bass (at least) are compressed as a matter of course.

The problem with compression live (I find) is you always end up wanting to play louder than the level set on the pedal - and compression won't let you do that. Play harder, and the effect just swallows it up. So you need to combine it with a volume pedal (post-compression), or some other way of getting your dynamic level up when you need it.
    (I like the compressed sound, and sometimes start gigs with compression on. But I always end up switching it off before long. It either makes quiet sounds too loud, or loud sounds too quiet. Maybe my band is unusual in using wide dynamic variations...often unpredictably... :rolleyes:)