DYNASONIC Players: Neck or Bridge?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Tidewater Custom Shop, Feb 21, 2015.

1. Tidewater Custom Shop

Tidewater Custom Shop Performance Enhancing Guitarworks Supporting Member

About five years ago, I bought a beater 1961 Gretsch 6118 Double Annie. Nothing was original but the wood & frets. It was refin'd poorly. I put it through several iterations looking for a vintage beater to suit my needs.

Recently I sent it off for new paint to a fellow TGP'er. I expect it to be returned shortly. Once it's here, I will outfit it in parts I've amassed over my tenure with Annie. She'll now have an aged white finish.

My question is this: Of you who have played vintage Dynasonic pickups, if you had to choose just one position, which would it be? Neck or bridge? WHY?

I plan to install a vintage P-90 from a 1959 Les Paul, and an early '60s DynaSonic. I love a P-90 in either position, so there's no concern there. I envision this guitar to have a Jekyll / Hyde personality. I want the neck to be delicate and sonically rich. The poorly routed pickups holes (for aftermarket Filter'Trons) were reshaped by me for P-90s. The DynaSonic will fit with minor modification, unseen after install.

So, where will the DynaSonic be better placed?

Below: The DynaSonic next to the '59 P-90. I crafted its cover from nickel plated metal & white plastic covers, then aged to match the natural patina of the '60s DynaSonic.

[​IMG]

And the Annie prep'd for paint.

[​IMG]

2. RocksOff

RocksOff Member

I like dynasonics in the bridge position, but it might be a little underpowered next to the P90.

3. ThePenwellCrash

ThePenwellCrash Supporting Member

That's gonna be a great project. I've got a '55 Gretsch Streamliner with a Dynasonics in the neck. I also have a '57 Gibson es-225 with stock P-90's in neck and bridge - it's no Gretsch, but it is full hollowbody.

You're not gonna go wrong with either combo, but I would probably think about how balanced you want the pickups to sound against each other. For example, the Dynasonic will probably be brighter than your P-90, do you might want that in the neck. Of course, if you want a real "Jekyll and Hyde" then maybe you'd be happy with the darker P-90 in the neck and the brighter Dynasonic in the bridge, but the difference might be too drastic to switch between without changes to your amp eq.

Personally, I would pair the Dynasonic/Neck with P-90/Bridge

It's gonna be a cool guitar either way!

4. dhdfoster

dhdfoster Silver Supporting Member

I could never choose. I have vintage Dynas in an old Guild and the middle toggle position is my favorite.

You could go EC style.

[​IMG]

5. Tidewater Custom Shop

Tidewater Custom Shop Performance Enhancing Guitarworks Supporting Member

I think it'll be the neck position for the DyanSonic... Once I implement the mod to accept the DynaSonic in a P-90 route, it'll be much work to reverse it.

I appreciate the feedback from the small percentage of guitarist here who actually have guitars loaded with vintage Dearmond DynaSonics! Long live the <1%'ers!

6. smiert spionam

smiert spionam Member

I'd probably put the Dyna in the neck. Then again, I'd put a Dyna in the bridge, too....

;)

Should be a fun guitar.

7. vortexxxx

vortexxxx Member

I have a White Falcon that I installed vintage Dynasonics in but I don't know how it would work out combined with a P-90. There may be a big difference in loudness but I'm only guessing.

8. cookedbutok

cookedbutok Member

I loved the neck position of my DynaJet when I had it. The bridge was nice...but the neck, was special.

9. the_Chris

the_Chris It's All Been Done Before Gold Supporting Member

The clarity of the neck position is what makes the Dynasonic so appealing. If you want to rock, sure the Dynasonics will do that, but a good P90 is hard to beat for that application. Sounds like the P90 bridge and Dynasonic neck should be the best of both worlds.

10. stephenyi

stephenyi Member

Voted for the Dyna in the neck as well. I have a Fender Telesonic with a T-armond (dynasonic) in the neck and a powertron in the bridge positions. I love a good P90 in the bridge position as well.

11. tartanphantom

tartanphantom Member

While I like P90's, The magical tone of Dynasonic pickups that is rather difficult to duplicate lies in the "both-pickups-on" (middle switch) position. You're missing this when you don't have that option by way of substituting another pickup for one of the Dynas.

However, in your application, I'd put the Dyna in the bridge. Due to its coil design, it's not as throaty as a P90 and can cut through the mix better when properly set up. You might need to use a riser ring to bring it closer to the strings, where it can really shine-- due to the nature of its magnet/slug polepieces and narrower coil field, the Dynasonic is much more sensitive to height and polepiece adjustments than the P90, and it can take some time to dial them in the way you like.
    Even so, the P90 in the bridge would be no slouch either-- either way will offer you a unique combination of tones.