Dynasonics vs P-90's vs Tele PU's

HowardMusic

Silver Supporting Member
Should probably ask over at the Gretsch Pages, but thought I'd try here first.

Thinking about a Duo-Jet with Dynasonics, but already have a Telecaster (63 CS) and a Tele-styled P-90 guitar (Duncan Antiquities), but was wondering if you all think the Dynasonics would be redundant.

I'm beginning to find out that I'm single coil guy, and have a 6122 with stock Filtertrons that, to me, just isn't giving me the clarity that I think the Dynas might get me.

Thanks.

mbargav

I've owned a Duo-Jet with Dynas and have several P90 guitars, and they're very different animals. Like P90s, Dynas also have a fat single coil vibe, but they don't distort as quickly as P90s do, and don't have the same mid-range honk.

archtop

I have a Les Paul with P90's and have A/B'd it with a Gretsch Jet with Dynasonics. There are similarities, but the Gretsch was brighter while the Les Paul had more mids and more output. Different enough, but I wouldn't rule out filtertrons. Even though they're humbuckers, they are very low output.

Personally I have an R6 (P90's), a 335 (Humbuckers but brighter than a Les Paul), and am looking to round it out with a Tele.

Waxhead

Should probably ask over at the Gretsch Pages, but thought I'd try here first.

Thinking about a Duo-Jet with Dynasonics, but already have a Telecaster (63 CS) and a Tele-styled P-90 guitar (Duncan Antiquities), but was wondering if you all think the Dynasonics would be redundant.

I'm beginning to find out that I'm single coil guy, and have a 6122 with stock Filtertrons that, to me, just isn't giving me the clarity that I think the Dynas might get me.

Thanks.
hehe well I prefer Filtertrons myself but Dynas come a close 2nd.
Any Gretsch is a much better & more versatile guitar than any Tele imo so they can never be redundant.
A Jet with Dynas poos on a Tele :)

P-90's are good but noisy beasts and not on a Gretsch plz

mad dog

Silver Supporting Member
The dynasonics are rather different than either p-90s or the typical tele p/u. It's a very personal thing. For me, I just can't get dynasonics to work. Too spanky, not warm enough. Dearmond 2000 p/us - which look like dynas from the front - are much more to my taste. I have one of those in the bridge of an Epiphone ES-295, along with the stock P90 neck, and that middle position sound is SWEET.

So to answer your question, dynasonics are not at all redundant. They have their own thing, and you might like it.
MD

TV Jones Dynasonics are fantastic PUs, I've discovered it relatively late, after many years of playing P90 or singlecoils. Actually, I prefer them over most singlecoils and hey have different bite compared to good P90. Yes, Duo Jet with TVJ Dynasonics is very cool.

HowardMusic

Silver Supporting Member
Great, thanks everybody for your responses - just need to unload some stuff and then find the right Duo Jet. Thanks again.

vortexxxx

Silver Supporting Member
Dynas don't have much in common with p-90s or most other single coils. You do have to find the sweet spot on them though to make them sound as good as possible.

norumba

dynas are closer to p90s than Tele p.u.s, but very much their own thing.

I've had a Tele, P90s in a custom build, and the TV Jones dynas (T'armonds) in my Gretsch. Hands down my favorite single coil tone of the three. A lot of mojo and character, and astonishingly versatile. You wont be disappointed!

Troubleman

Dynasonics and P-90s are related, but on opposite ends of the family spectrum. Dyna's are good for clean rhythm and jangle.
They don't have the midrange bark of P-90s.
They don't have the same snarl.
Think rockabilly, or Brian Setzer with an attitude - fat sound, but differnt frequencies are emphasized.
On the other end of the single coil family spectrum we find the P-90.
More powerful, with thicker, fatter, rounder tone.
Think early rock-n-roll, or Leslie West during his Mountain days - snarling tone with plenty of bark and growl if you push a tube amp with 'em.

I like both.
I don't think either of them sounds like Tele pickups.

peeeeeeese! :wave

jb

Medgeking

Do it, Dynasonics are rad!

As opposed to some of the other comments here, I'd say firstly that Dynasonics are actually closer to tele pickups than P90s. they have magnet polepieces like a Fender pickup and as such, they have that clarity and bite.

Also, in my opinion, nothing "poops on" a telecaster . . . especially a Gretsch. If you need proof, just look at the general usage of Teles vs Gretsch. Gretsch designs cool guitars, but there's very little that beats a tele.

Trending Topics