Dynaudio BM5As. One Year Report.

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by LSchefman, Sep 14, 2006.

1. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

I've now had about a year with these.

If getting a good mix means one that translates to other systems, and where you can hear everything the way you intended it, then I have gotten my best results ever with these little speakers.

Including the Genelec 1031A and 1029/1071A systems I previously used for 6-7 years as an A/B rig (1031As at the console, 1029/1071s at the DAW). Including the 1032As at my former partner's room. Including my Mackie 626s.

Including the B&W 805s/Krell power amp I used before that. I could go on.

These speakers do not sound "exciting" in my control room. I don't turn them on, as I did with the 1031As, and think, "Wow, these sound fantastic."

But- when I load a mix into someone else's system, it sounds right. When I listen in my car, or on an iPod, or wherever...it sounds right. No ugly surprises, even on the low end, like I got sometimes with the Gennies.

The other day I was present when an ad agency's creative director presented my Epcot tracks to his client on his iPod/Bose system, with a teeny little speaker, and even there, they sounded balanced and, well, like records are supposed to sound.

I would recommend these speakers to anyone. They are very simple to mix on. In fact, they're worth owning even if you have more expensive speakers, if only as a secondary reference.

2. scottl

scottl Member

I've had mine for a year!! Although, I wish I got the BM6A instead. Me likes it loud.....

3. Cary Chilton

Cary Chilton Senior Member

Are you guys using the active or passive nearfields? Please check out pt le thread and please give me some tips on the mix (I am only using headphones to mix with-no nearfields yet!!!).... Have you guys tried the new Gen's 80XX series yet? Are the dynaaudios still better????

4. drfrankencopter

drfrankencopter Member

This is exactly what you want in a monitor...that and a really flat (low distortion) midrange.

On a good monitor you should be able to immediately identify the difference between a great mix and a weak one...if the speaker has too much personality (like Genelecs), this will get in the way. I've got a set of ATC SCM100s (killer active triamps) that just sound so natural and real that all flaws in recording/mixing immediately jump out.

But I still need to double check on a set of consumer speakers to make sure the bass is under control (ATCs are fast and really well damped, so they can handle more bass than your typical woofy consumer setup...which can cause problems if I put a little too much LF in the mix).

Cheers

Kris

5. elambo

elambo Member

It's a simple question: are you mixing for yourself or the rest of the world? If for yourself, buy Gennies because they make Robert Johnson's recordings sound hi-fi - if you're mixing for the rest of the world get something that translates as good as possible. Since you (and many of us) are mixing primarily for the rest of the world, you have great monitors!

6. seafoamer

seafoamer Member

7. suprotennessee

suprotennessee Member

I have the Genelec 1031As. I know what you mean. They sound very good right away, but I have become tuned to how a final mix should sound.

Now, the thing is, before I had these speakers, I had NS10s. I would never say the Yamahas were anything like the Dynaudios... I know the Dynaudios are awesome and the NS10s suck... BUT I will say this about the Genelecs:

Since things sound a little more on the sparkly side from the get go, the band usually is psyched right from the start. Now, I know when I have to work harder to get a better sound... don't worry about that, but in general it is nice for people to like what they are hearing in tracking. With the NS10s, it took at least a day for people to learn how to translate what they were hearing. And that first day was when we were getting drums, so it was more stressful than I like the first day to be, and I would even feel the pressure of appealling to their incorrect notion of the sounds we were getting.

So perhaps, if I get the money for Dynaudios in the future, I will use them for mixing, and I will still keep the Genelecs for tracking.

8. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

>>Are you guys using the active or passive nearfields?<<

I'm using actives.

>>I <3 my BM6A's<<

I have considered moving to these for the additional power, but if it ain't broke... ;)

9. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

>>Since things sound a little more on the sparkly side from the get go, the band usually is psyched right from the start. Now, I know when I have to work harder to get a better sound... don't worry about that, but in general it is nice for people to like what they are hearing in tracking. <<

Agreed. And I loved the Genelecs for many reasons. Had 'em for years. They really sound excellent, and clients love them. What I found with them is that if I mixed at low volume, I got good mixes. But I was always tempted to mix at higher volume, 'cause they sounded so good. That's when I got into trouble, on the low end especially.

My clients are ad agencies, etc., and rarely come to my studio. So these little Dynaudios work better for me.