E-drums -> midi -> sequencer -> reaper workflow recs?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by denmalley, Jan 3, 2018.

1. denmalley

denmalley Supporting Member

I am pretty new to the world of midi in general but trying to learn (see the other midi thread here).

I am trying to figure out the best way to go about recording a drum pattern from my very limited ability to play the drums, record that to a midi file, edit my crappy playing into something usable (or capture a better player's takes), and then importing into reaper to tweak the drum sounds as needed and form the basis for my songs' drum tracks.

From what I've been reading the midi sequencer in reaper is somewhat lacking. Wondering if I should still use reaper to capture the midi track, then am I able to export that midi track to an external sequencer, edit, and re-import to reaper? Or is there a good sequencer with editing and capture capabilities that I should use? Anyone with a similar setup to help walk me through this, or what to watch out for, etc?

2. Unnecessary

Unnecessary Member

E-Kit MIDI Out->Interface/DAW->MIDI track in Reaper
    If you want to monitor your sounds through a VSTi (Superior/EZ Drummer, etc.) you probably need to lower your buffer settings, otherwise just monitor off the E-Kit module. Once you record a MIDI take in Reaper it's pretty easy to edit (I think, anyways, I've been editing drums in Piano Roll since Cool Edit Pro), just by changing the View in the MIDI Lane to Diamonds instead of bars.
    It does help to have a text map of your kit to load into the MIDI channel in Reaper so you don't have to remember numbers or notes, though.