E-H Deluxe Memory Man sad news

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by analogmike, Jul 13, 2006.

1. analogmike

analogmike Gold Supporting Member

Hi,

The wholesale price on the DMM is up 30% this week, so get one at the old price while you can, before dealers raise their prices. It was an AMAZING deal, it will still be a good deal at just under $300. Maybe they are running out of the NOS Japanese chips, or just realized they were selling it too cheap (I can't build one for what they were selling them for wholesale).

If you already have one, you can feel like a smarty pants now ;)

2. sman

sman Member

Thanks for the heads up. I have been meaning to buy one, now it's time to get off the fence!

3. JLee

JLee Member

Crap! What a great time to be broke!:jo

4. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

I paid $150 for mine, love it.

Hey, Mike, can you "mod" it at all to where the modulation will stop creeping into the mix even when it is set to "zero"??? I love the modulation sometimes, but when I'm not wanting to hear it, it still detunes notes from time to time at its own discretion with the vibrato, some chorusing happens, too the same way. Or is that just part of the game? No big deal if it is... it's not going anywhere... I got it used for $150

5. Coach

Coach Senior Member

when is the price going to creep up? Musiciansfriend still has it at $234.

6. drolling

drolling Member

I got one way back when they were first reissued. Mine's got the AC cord and the funky buffer but I've decided not to mod it - if I really want super-clean analogue delay, w/more *polite* modulation, I just step on the Memory Lane:)

7. analogmike

analogmike Gold Supporting Member

I have not heard the problem of the modulation creeping in when the modulation knob is down all the way. I guess a simple switch could be installed to remove it from the circuit completely.

I guess dealers will raise the prices after they purchase their next batch and find out that the prices went up 30%. Aren't you glad effects dealers are not like gas stations? ;)

8. shakti

shakti Member

Juts have to post in my appreciation of the DMM. It was one of the first serious pedals I got way back in '99. After I sold my trusty Rat (replaced with ZIM Rat card), it is the oldest pedal on my board, and it is one that I have never thought of replacing (well, I had about 2 minutes of GAS after I learnt about the Memory Lane, but after hearing the soundclips I kind of went "naaah").

For all its imperfections, it just sounds "right". Grungy, but in the most musical way. Cheers to a great pedal!

9. drolling

drolling Member

Well said! So, you have the old 2 chip version as well? Have you had any of the Howard Davis mods done to yours?

To me, analogue delay is the new overdrive - Got burned out trying to discern subtlty from nuance comparing the various dirt boxes I've collected and decided to quit while I was behind.

I've yet to hear any 2 analogue delays that sound remotely the same - the way they decay, the way they oscillate/modulate.. they even respond to pick attack like the best dynamic overdrives. I've only got 3 so far- Jacques Prisoner being the most recent, but it was the DMM that got me started..

10. shakti

shakti Member

No mods on mine, but I think it came stock with true bypass?? I haven't opened it up, but the level knob is not effective when it's bypassed.

Anyone tried any mods? I am afraid to mess with it, it just sounds right. I thought the Davis mods were mostly just tweaking the trimpots on old units to get them back into shape, or are there outright mods as well?

Don't tempt me, I don't want to mess with it! I love how I can control the self-oscillation on mine, which happens with the feedback exactly at 1 o'clock!

11. Coach

Coach Senior Member

I bought a spare and I'm tempted to return it because $200 is a lot. But I don't think I can do it.