E.V.H. Beat it.

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Barquentine, Mar 28, 2020.

1. Drew66

Drew66 Member

Page was basically (and still is) m.i.a., after Zeppelin disbanded. He didn’t resurface again for a while and only briefly with the Firm. With only a few releases here and there since.

Unexplainedbacon likes this.
  2. WordMan

WordMan Silver Supporting Member

I’m listening to Shane Theriot’s Riff Raff podcast featuring Greg Phillinganes. He’s discussing this jazz phrase Sembello wanted to include on a Stevie song that was impossible to play, but Greg figured out.

3. ZENTISH

ZENTISH Member

Ya, EVH with MJ, Jeff Beck with Stevie Wonder, SRV with David Bowie, Great pairings!! Its the guitar that makes these songs in my opinion.

4. Dark Matter

Dark Matter Member

Sums it up for me as well. Eddie was a godlike figure in my world long before Beat It, and while I thought it was a cool solo, the even bigger thing to me was the way it signified his stature. When 1984 was released, it was #2 on the chart behind only Thriller. So my hero was on the two biggest selling albums in the world at that moment, which for whatever reason I found meaningful. These days, when I read these ludicrous posts on TGP about Eddie's "irrelevance," I just shake my head. Van Halen was one of the biggest bands in the world from 1984 through 1992. Multi-platinum albums, sold-out arena tours, a giant presence on MTV at its peak, and a role in pop culture more broadly that almost no other band could rival. Eddie's solo on Beat It was just one of lots of cultural cross-references (although it was a biggie). I mean, who could forget that Jeff Spicoli, after saving Brooke Shields from drowning, blew his reward money by hiring Van Halen to play his birthday party? Or that Marty McFly played Van Halen to convince his dad he was from outer space? Or that a hamburger once played "Everybody Wants Some"? A hamburger!

Whatever "the kids" think of him today, he was what he was. All bands fade over time.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2020
    BigDar, NB_Terry, cutaway and 4 others like this.
  5. ntotoro

ntotoro Member

Luke did the dirty guitars on PYT, that was what I meant.

6. tim gueguen

tim gueguen Member

Page's first public musicmaking appearance of any note after Zep was 1983's tour for Ronnie Lane's Multiple Sclerosis charity A.R.M.S. At the time Page apparently told friends he'd just quit 7 years of heroin use. Compared to Eric Clapton and Jeff Beck, who were also on the tour, he looked fragile. The fact he was still making music at all may be attributable to film director Michael Winner, who hired Page to compose the soundtrack for 1982's Death Wish II.

7. Stratburst70

Stratburst70 Member

No, but MJ needed Saul Yetnikoff threatening to pull every other CBS artist from rotation unless MTV played Michael Jackson’s music videos. The infamous “colour barrier” was very real back then.

That’s likely what would have happened if EVH had turned it down. Why would Quincy burn the phone lines looking for another guest when they already had a bona fide guitar hero in house?

ned7flat5 and StratoCraig like this.
  8. musicman1

musicman1 Member

I wonder if lukather ever took a shot at the solo and was it replaced by the evh solo? Maybe eddie martinez back then? Didnt he play a lot of the robert palmer stuff? Jennifer batten was around then. Joe satriani paul gilbert nuno or john petrucci are good choices by today’s standard. Jason becker might have been real interesting too.

9. marshallheart

marshallheart Member

Jeff Beck or Stevie Ray Vaughn

Johnny Ninefingers likes this.
  10. NorCal_Val

NorCal_Val Member

again, this was in 1982.
    SRV wasn’t a name yet.
    And, as much as I loved “There And Back”(1980), JB had gone back to his garage to work on his cars in ‘82.

NB_Terry likes this.
  11. marshallheart

marshallheart Member

that's a very good question...

at that time (1982/83) I was still in my Rolling Stones period...I never really noticed VH...

That changed dramatically in 1984, when "jump"/"Panama" came out, my Stones OS was replaced by Van Halen/Hair metal (Ratt,Dokken,Def Leppard...)
    so, no.. when "Beat it" came out, I didn't know/care, who played the solo

12. ntotoro

ntotoro Member

I thought he was actually threatening to pull MJ or Prince from MTV because they wouldn’t play Rick James, or something like that.

13. marshallheart

marshallheart Member

...and EVH was originally supposed to play it on the part before the solo ...but Eddie said that won't work and Quincy changed the song for him...so EVH should get composer credits

14. marshallheart

marshallheart Member

ok..what about Randy Rhoads or Luke himself?

15. Zenyatta Mondatta

Zenyatta Mondatta Member

I was never into VH but looking back he's got a really fascinating approach to the guitar. Great solo

Pidgin English likes this.
  16. NorCal_Val

NorCal_Val Member

RR had already died.
    And, as discussed up thread, Luke could’ve done it, but had nowhere near the name recognition of EVH.
    (Which is what Quincy wanted)

SnidelyWhiplash and NB_Terry like this.
  17. GtrGeorge!

GtrGeorge! Member

1) I knew it was eddie, first time i heard it
    2) Thought it was not as cool as his work within VH...in "Beat it" His sound is so dry..super dry, in comparison to VH1 and VH2 which is heavily bathed in Reverb (and some delay).
    and fwiw: He was smart to get his skills heard by a larger audience..one that wouldn't have heard him, otherwise(Imho). At that point the industry was caught up in "independant promoters" who controlled tightly the music markets. If EVH didnt get heard in another market...it would HIGHLY doubtful the "promoters" would have pushed his music into those markets. (see Frederick Dannen's book "Hit men" regarding 1980s "independant promoters").

18. tim gueguen

tim gueguen Member

Batten was just another unknown when "Beat It" was recorded. Martinez was working in New York at the time, and spent the summer of '82 touring with Blondie. So if Jones knew who he was at the time he likely wasn't available.

SnidelyWhiplash likes this.
  19. Johnny Ninefingers

Johnny Ninefingers Member

SRV or Blackmore?

Not really I guess, but how about Holdsworth? His guest spot with Level 42 later in the '80's was pretty stunning.

20. drewl

drewl Member

Didn't Dave give Ed crap about it?

Didn't want him to play on it?

I seem to remember that for some reason.