E.V.H. Beat it.

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Barquentine, Mar 28, 2020.

1. Misterbulbous

Misterbulbous Member

Yeah. That’s correct. Beck’s resurgence with the album Flash didn’t occur till 1985. I was thinking Beat It came out around the time Ed was finished with 1984. ‘82 really is an odd year for guitar. Guys like Joe Perry and Nugent we’re still stuck in the past, while the LA gun slinger movement was just starting.

NorCal_Val likes this.
  2. shredtrash

shredtrash Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

That was my story exactly! I was only 13 when Thriller and 1984 came out so I was just getting into VH at that time.

Pidgin English likes this.
  3. lon

lon Member

Thanks for clearing that up

4. izzyizborn

izzyizborn Member

I was on a lunch break while in college. I happened to be at the local mall grabbing a bite. I had no idea about Thriller coming out, but suddenly I heard somebody ripping through this tune, and I just left my food at the table and followed the sound of that guitar to the record store upstairs. I had little doubt it was EVH and I bought the record on the spot. My favorite player and a great surprise!

5. cutaway

cutaway Supporting Member

There is NO ONE, not a single guitar player who could have played that solo at that time and had the impact that VH did. He was a giant and it was him from the first note. All the other guys suggested would been pointless as having Luke play it. Just another solo. Probably pointless to have a solo by a nameless studio player. Steppin' on the punchline as the saying goes.

6. dirtyguitar

dirtyguitar Supporting Member

SRV was just breaking but he would have smoked. He had quite time toolbox of chips beyond the genre he embodied.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_the_Beginning_(Stevie_Ray_Vaughan_album)

but he didn’t have the name appeal. Eddie was rightly tapped, and he delivered the goods.

but thinking about Carlos is fun. Either he or SRV would have given it a slightly different feel, but good I suspect.

eddie got it, he deserved to get it, and he nailed it. ‘Nuff said.

noisebloom likes this.
  7. Lumpy Trousers

Lumpy Trousers Member

I first heard it in a dance club in LA called The Sun Spot.

I was/am such a guitar nerd that I immediately knew it was Eddie but didn't realize until later that Michael Jackson was singing.

8. NorCal_Val

NorCal_Val Member

What amp did Ed record the solo with?:wave

9. NB_Terry

NB_Terry Member

Holdsworth on a Michael Jackson song?? I thought I was high... :D

10. Gevalt

Gevalt Member

If you liked Beat It, you should really listen to Eat It....If I had to pick, you guys'd lynch me. It's awesome.

11. Rick Lee

Rick Lee Member

I was 11 then and my folks even knew EVH was on Beat It, which is why they bought me the 45 for Xmas that year, along with my Mongoose bike. I was already a huge VH fan by then. However, I think Eliot Easton would have been the best choice, if it hadn't been EVH.

Anyone remember the MTV video contest where you could call in for $.50 and vote for whichever of the two videos was best? It was Beat It vs. Photograph several times.

cutaway likes this.
  12. Johnny Ninefingers

Johnny Ninefingers Member

Did you hear any of his sets with Level 42 at the Hammersmith Odeon? He was much more er, conventional in his harmonic and melodic choices of note/phrase/run, which is not to say it's playable to mortals. I don't know if any recordings exist but it was on London radio all those years ago. Must be '90.

A quick look on YouTube gives only this:

From Capital Radio. The OB recording is a badly mixed obvs. And the band play tunes that aren't especially consequential. And it wasn't the best night of the residency. I'd only listen to it if you are a Holdsworth completist or really like Level 42's deep cuts.
    "Running in the Family" is at 37:02, followed by "Lessons in Love" which are the only familiar songs to most folk. And the recording is littered with station advert voice-overs. Yuck.

By his own admission, during the period where he cut the Beat it solo, EVH was doing with two hands on the fretboard what Holdsworth was doing with one. And to be candid, I reckon Quincy Jones could have comped a genius solo from just about anyone; given it was originally a comp. Many of Gilmour's great solos are comped too; Gilmour comps them in the traditional fashion from various takes after careful listening.

And why have none of us thought of Gilmour? There's a guy who knows how to put a note in the right place and with the right weight. It would have had a different vibe sure...

But let's face facts, we have all had to learn EVH's notes because they're pretty damn huge. And there are few more iconic solos than Beat it. I still have to mangle it from time to time. Learning it is a rite of passage no matter what sort of guitar you play. Even Punk, Blues and Jazz players know it. And every blinking 16 year old on YouTube can apparently play it better than me, dash it.

13. Eugene Wallace

Eugene Wallace Member

I gots a hunch quincy didnt even know who EVH was. lukather would have pumped EVH to him.

When you think of the details, 2 takes only..EVH re-arranging the song so as to make the solo fit better, literally almost unbelievable after you listen to it.
    2 takes = incredibly honest view of his capabilities, I recall EVH saying somewhere he preferred the other take.
    EVH recording with Van Halen is one thing...this song sees two takes and look at the result, pure unadulterated virtuosity and creative brilliance..on the fly..in real time..not three notes at a time then cut tape/edit 3 more etc.
    The bit I've heard which i think I like the most out of the whole story is the one where he claims he just tossed the guitar into the back of the pickup truck, the tray area, without a case and just drove through the Hollywood canyons to the studio.

14. sampleinajar

sampleinajar Member

Dann Huff or Mike Landau were quite active at the time and could have been called in if Ed has said no. But he didn’t!

15. ntotoro

ntotoro Member

Luke was already there and he was one of Q’s “go to” guys.

sampleinajar likes this.
  16. Kentano2000

Kentano2000 Member

Dave didn’t find out until after the fact. At the time Dave was very against anyone in VH doing outside projects. EVH claims he thought no one would find out if he “played on some black kid’s album.” The fact that he didn’t require payment for his efforts confirm this. Hard to believe but the facts bear out that he apparently had NO idea what was in store!

17. Sirloin

Sirloin Supporting Member

I knew right away the solo was EVH and it was also obvious that the rhythm tracks were not EVH. To me, Ed's rhythm playing really sets him apart from the rest.

StratoCraig and pfrischmann like this.
  18. noisebloom

noisebloom Member

I was already a massive VH fan when Thriller was released, so I had read about the story of EVH on 'Beat It' before I heard the track. I knew it was a one-off, and that EVH did it gratis.

Nevertheless, Ed's playing is so distinctive that if I had heard the song without knowing he had played on it, would have been obvious to me. It was unmistakable. No one played like him back then. No one sounded like him. No one was even close.

To those who weren't listening deeply to EVH at the time, the solo sounds spectacular and maybe otherworldly, if you had never heard his tapping before. But if you were already very familiar with his style and sound at that point, you'd know it was actually a pretty standard solo pattern of his for the time. You can even tell how loose and casual and fluid his playing is on it. There's nothing tense about it at all.

19. noisebloom

noisebloom Member

Ok this one had me LOL. :D

ned7flat5 likes this.
  20. noisebloom

noisebloom Member

He would have been a good choice, for sure.