E609 compared to SM-57 for live gigs...?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by JDW3, Jun 21, 2005.

1. JDW3

JDW3 Member

I've been wanting to upgrade my mic for gig situations as the sound isn''t quite what I'm hearing onstage. Is the 609 a great improvement over the 57 in live situations? I'm using a Tophat 2x12 CR.

2. guitarmook

guitarmook Member

I notice the difference if I listen for it, but 90% of the time, I'm not hearing the amp through the mic... I use my amp as a monitor, and don't have it in my monitors, so I can't say that the 609 is 'a vast improvement'...

The great unwashed out there wouldn't know the difference between a telecaster and a 335, as long as they 'liked it'...

I use a 609 because of convenience... I don't have to also carry a mic stand, and there isn't a mic stand in my way. All I need to carry is the mic and a cable, and set-up is quick and easy. That it sounds as-good (or maybe better, depending on your taste) as a 57 is just gravy...

3. Chiba

Chiba Gold Supporting Member

I think it does sound better than a 57. On guitar gigs, I carry three with me - 1 for each amp and 1 for my vocals. It's a little weird to see as a vocal mic, but since it sounds better than a 57 (and therefore a 58), IMHO it's worth carrying along.

Ever since I heard my first 609, I haven't touched a 57/58 for any purpose other than removing it from the mic stand so I could mount my 609.

[​IMG]
    --chiba

4. JDW3

JDW3 Member

I guess that gives me a decent comparison. Then, what is a really good amp mic, or are the 57's still near the top?

5. Antero

Antero Member

For live, or studio?

I'd take a ribbon over a 57 any day of the week. Especially Saturday.

6. Chiba

Chiba Gold Supporting Member

He says 'live' in the subject, and I agree with you - I'd rather use ANYTHING but a 57 in the studio. I don't have a ribbon, but I've used them (recently) for recording guitars & bass - good results. I prefer LD condensers, but that's just me.

--chiba