1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

e609,e906 comparisons?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Igneous, May 25, 2005.

1. Igneous

Igneous Member

Ive heard good things about both. Is it worth it to shell out the extra cash?

2. sws1

sws1 Member

I just got a e609 the other night. Never heard or seen the 906. Right out of the box, I was able to hang the mic over top of Shiva cabinet, halfway on the speaker cone, and record exactly what I was hearing in the room.

I've spent tons of time with SM-57 trying to record Shiva never to get it to sound right at all. 2 mins, the e609 worked. Clean tone sounded great too.

Keep in mind that the reason I got it was to simplify micing my cabs and getting good demo tone quickly. I'm far from a recording engineer, so someone with more experience and better ear than me may be more what you're looking at.

3. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

The 906 is supposed to bridge the gap b/t the 609 silver and the 609. I tried a 609 silver and wasn't really blown away but the 906 is on my list of mics to buy. Maybe once I get mine, I'll put it up on a 4x12 along with a 57, 517 (my fav) and a Blue ball.

4. Igneous

Igneous Member

How do you position the blue ball?

5. Igneous

Igneous Member

He-He, I just realised how funny that sounds.:D

6. TAVD

Position the ball just like you would a 57. They're actually pretty similar in sound. I prefer to put it about 8-12" away from the speaker, and I like a 57 out there also.

7. Chiba

Chiba Gold Supporting Member

I've been using a 609 as a vocal mic lately, I really love it for live singing.

I picked up an extra one to shlep to rehearsals & gigs just to make sure I'm using my own mic, that I don't have to sing into a beer-, smoke-, or plague-infested 57 or 58 that belongs to the club.

All hail the versatile e609! :D

--chiba

8. Randy

Randy Member

What's the difference between the (discontinued I think) E609 black and the current E609 silver? Anyone know?

9. TAVD

A bump around 4 khz and the price.

10. muddy

muddy Member

this test is a big help, actually. you'll need to rename the mp3 to xxx.mp3 if you download it. here's the thread itself:

thread

ml

11. muddy

muddy Member

[​IMG]

i picked up a black/e609 off ebay for $129 (convinced my ex to get me a father's day prezzie ;) )!!! if you listened to the mp3 in the link i posted of the git-mic shootout (previous post), the blackie creamed the silver! i actually preferred it to the md409u3 that it's based on. let me tell you, these are getting impossible to find! tnis should be very interesting. gotta get my baby bottle fixed, now. hmmm...

ml

12. Randy

Randy Member

I also want to pick up a 609 and have been researching the difference between the black and silver versions. From what I can find, the original black E609's were all hand wired and sold for around $350. Then a few years ago Sennheiser started making them much cheaper and the price dropped considerably. I have no idea how the quality changed at that point. Now, they've introduced the 609 silver which is supposed to come closer to the old 409 (I think). It has a presence peak over the black 609.

By some accounts the black version is superior to the silver, by others it sounds dark and lifeless in comparison. Trouble is, you can't always tell which version of the black is being referred to in these comparisons. For example the poster in the Pro Sound comparison thread above mentions a retailer in CA that has some of the original black version left over for $220. I've got to think at that price he's talking about the hand wired version, not the cheaper version which you can still get new on Ebay for $130. So the clips in that thread were likely an original handwired black version vs. a $100 silver. Not necessarily the difference you'll hear between a $130 black vs. silver.

So who knows? I may just get a 906 and be done with it.

13. Supertgtr

Supertgtr Member

The big difference between the mics is the E906 has a three position presence EQ switch, and the E609 silver does not. You can make the E906 sound like the older E609(black) or the E609 silver or an in between sound.

14. Randy

Randy Member

That's what I needed to hear - thanks. The E906 it is!

15. muddy

muddy Member

what worried me about the e906 was that it'd be a silver e609 with the addition of eq, which wouldn't really make it a better mic. kinda like turd-polishing. i don't know that it's the case here, but i wouldn't put it past them, either. so tell me,when did the blackies change over from hand wired?

ml

16. Randy

Randy Member

That I don't know. I haven't found any official Sennheiser info, just posts from individuals on recording forums and the like - so you know what that's worth.

17. Supertgtr

Supertgtr Member

I really doubt the original E609 was "hand wired". Too expensive, time consuming and too inconsistent. Besides, there isnt much wiring in there. The E609 used to sell for around $200 when in production. It wasnt very popular due to the price point, and sounding very different from it's predicessor. Not bad, just different.
    The MD409 (the real original) might have been hand wired.

18. Randy

Randy Member

Well that would make more sense then. Still, conflicting reports everywhere on which is better and even on which sounds more like the 409. I plan on getting a E906 and will report back on that one anyway.

19. Den

Den Member

I have no experience with the previous versions, but I just ordered an e906. I'm looking forward to comparing it to my 57.

BTW ... if you haven't already, you may want to check pricing at Northern Sound & Light ... best I've found.

20. Eagertone

Eagertone Member

i have both types of e609. i bought the silver brand new for $90 shipped, then saw a black the next day for $80 shipped, so i had to get both.

i a/b'd the two with the exact same set up on gutiars and vocals to hear the difference in tone and it's quite substantial. the highs in the silver are definitely more pronounced... almost harsh. it could be good to help pop out in a mix though (save you some eq'ing in post). i only listened solo. it also sounded more scooped in the mids/upper-mids than the other.

from what i gather, the 906 is some crosssbreed/combo of the two. either way, it's only a couple hundred bucks, so it can't hurt just to try one out.

as for me, i'm happy with my 609s. it's like having a perfectly placed sm57, without having to perfecetly place it.