e609 vs. sm57 mic on a Traynor + Heritage G12m

Discussion in 'Gear Demo Videos & Sound Clips Archive' started by JubileeMan 2555, Feb 25, 2009.

1. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

This is an interesting find for me. I have been using a e609 for a long time but decided to pull out an old sm57 I had laying around since I have recently started using 12" speakers again.

I apologize for not doing the exact same licks since I sorta rushed this comparison, but you can clearly hear a difference. Same guitar, same amp settings:

Modified Traynor into 2 x Heritage G12M speakers.

e609

SM57

I know mic placement matters. I placed them where everyone recommends. e609 is flat against grill in center of cone. SM57 is at 45 degree angle against grill pointing at center of cone.

(p.s. on a side note, I had the amp set to near whisper quiet volumes using a PPIV master volume. My wife was on the phone in the other room and wanted me to keep it down! LOL)

2. skoora

skoora Member

The 57 as a solo mic sounded much better to me (fuller, less fizzy) but it would be interesting to hear how it sounds pointing right at the cone, straight on, like the e609.

3. elkym

elkym Member

Yeah, reverse the positions and do it again!

4. willhutch

willhutch Supporting Member

I would really super appreciate you doing a few more comparisons. Can you try to orient the mics exactly the same to try to exclude the effect of positioning? How about high volume?

This is interesting and useful.

I thought the 57 sounded a little more dimensional. The 609 was in your face.

5. 69strat

69strat Member

Cool , I have a 57 on the way....

6. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

Well... theres a problem. Technically, the two mic heads where nearly at the exact same spot on the grill. The SM57 has an "orientation" because its a long shaft. The e609 is perpendicular and is flat. So there is no way to orientate them the same way.

7. joolzriff

joolzriff Member

i would love a mix of both mics together...nice

8. willhutch

willhutch Supporting Member

Not possible to get them exactly the same, maybe, but you could put the 609 on a stand and angle it in toward the dust cap, like you did the 57. This would be a little closer to exact. If you then pull the 57 back a hair so the capsules are the same distance away, you'd be even closer to apples-to-apples.

However, the 609 is usually oriented like you did in your recordings in live application, so you've already given us the info that counts.

Thanks for your time and trouble! Of your two recordings, I think I prefer the 57.

9. jamison162

jamison162 Member

I have the e906, but I never hang it directly in the front center of the cone. Always on the side, more to the edge. Experiment with different placements and record some samples (for yourself, not necesarily for this thread) and you may be surprised. I think they sound even better about 6" away vs. against the grill. But then again, I keep hearing the e906 sounds better than the e609 to begin with.