1. larrylover

larrylover Member

I have two amps that came equipped with EL84 power tubes. Are NOS (Siemens to be exact) E84L power tubes a direct substitute for EL84s? Is the answer amp-dependent? One of the amps is a 1987 Dr. Z Camen Ghia. Thanks.

2. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    They are substitutes. If memory serves (and it often doesn't), the L's are an "enhanced" version, possibly with a higher plate voltage rating.

I'm pretty sure the answer is out there. Google may find it.

3. seyfert

seyfert Member

Yep BLUESTRAT, exactly, they are EL84 substitutes. You can put them in any EL84 amp. And your memory serves you well, :AOK the L's are an "enhanced" version, with a higher plate voltage rating.

PaMax plate dissipation E84L 13,5 (watt)
    PaMax plate dissipation 7189 12,0

PaMax plate dissipation Mul. EL84 12,0

VaMax plate voltage E84L 450 (volt)
    VaMax plate voltage 7189 400
    VaMax plate voltage Mul. EL84 300

If you are looking for a real great (well made and great sounding) tube, with improved " power handling " and better life expectation just go for an E84L version, Siemens factory made in Munich W-Germany,
    these can handel up to 450 Volts on the plates instead of 300 Volts (standart EL84). and has a coated anode which makes it stable and able to stand high voltages, the avarage live expectation is twice as long than the EL84.
    I also like Mullards EL84 because they are smooth and durable, but unfortunatly way over hyped and way over priced for what they do.[​IMG]
    I like old Valvo´s, RFT´s and Siemens E84L's a lot.[​IMG] and you can get the RFT´s and the Siemens L´s NewOS - boxed for reasonable prices on the bay.

I just put a quad into my AC30 along with 3 Valvo ECC83s. Wow what a difference! I put the ECC83s in first and it really made for a much smoother, musical, more complex sound over the crap TAD tubes especially when it starts breaking up. Then I put in the E84Ls and wow, the sound just took off. Much more definition on the low end, super quiet and super detailed sound.

4. wixedmords

wixedmords Member

Any manufacturers make the E84L other than Siemens?

5. seyfert

seyfert Member

I have some Valvo E84L , but they were also made by Siemens at the Munich plant (factory code #) , only labeld with
    the Valvo Logo....

and you can find Telefunken E84L and Lorenz E84L; but even made at the west german Siemens plant in Munich,
    only labeld by Telefunken - and Lorenz ....... by the way , also like the Telefunken EL84 (with stapled plates, no <>
    diamond mark in the bottom)
    which are made by Siemens in Munich-west- Germany. Siemens were a EL84 supplier for a lot of other tube manufactors,
    but they never made any EL34. They bought the EL34 from Mullard, Philips and the well known east german RFT and put
    their Siemens label on them for reselling. ....

But back to the L´s , if I remember correct, a while ago, I have had some ZAERIX labeld E84L´s, but don´t know who
    manufactured them, may be someone help me who knows it .. .

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

uuups , holy ****,:crazy sorry for the XXXL pic

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

All tubes shown in the pictures are made by Siemens in Munich west Germany and labeld by ........,

and think it is funny to see some people paying big dollars to get; for example; -the Telefunken stapeld plates ,
    while they can get the same tube, far less expensive with Siemens label or Valvo... .
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Junior

Re: extra large pic

I thought you did it on purpose. It's really kinda pretty...

or maybe I'm just as sick as my wife thinks!

7. Swarty

Swarty Member

I've got some Siemens E84Ls, and I find them a bit lifeless and dull compared to other western European variety EL84s. How about some love for the Tungsram EL84!

8. seyfert

seyfert Member

(Said among us-and don´t tell on) :D YES:D , absolutely,
    maybe Subconsciously :crazyguy

9. Chuck Snider

Chuck Snider Supporting Member

It's VERY amp dependent.... I have a ERT 33 that I tried (on loan) a quad of E84L Siemens and it got real sturdy and lost some of the juicy overtones.. Basically turned it into a twin reverb ERT33.. NOW I have a couple 2XEL84 amps and I really like the 84L in them. Amp dependent.. Good tubes(freaking good) in the right application.. Too clean and sterile in the wrong application... What the F do I know..............

10. go7

go7 Member

I have some E84L`s in my 18 watt Marshall. To my ear they sound awesome. They should give very long life. I think some of the previous posts make a good point .Sometimes people are paying way too much money for name brands when they were all made by Seimens. They may be amp dependant,don`t know only have 1 EL84 amp.As for sterile I can see this as some say Telefunken are linear.I stocked up as when I found a good deal of old Tesla[notJJ] EL34`s similar to old Mullard El84`s at less than half the price.To me this is part of the fun of nos tubes as well as I can play really good sounding tubes for not much more than new production especially when you consider nos will outlast new production 3 or 5 to 1. IMHO Seimens E84L,Great sound and price.Enjoy!!

11. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

Would there be a big difference between EL84Ls and the JJ EL84s I've got in my Carmen Ghia now? I've got a 12AX7 and a 5751 in the preamp...

12. rreiser

rreiser Supporting Member

I tried the Siemens EL-84Ls in my Z Stangray and one tube would always glow. I had 8 different tubes and they are supposedly matched. I think they may draw more current so I agree that it all depends on the amp and the plate voltage ect. Russ

13. Timbre Wolf

Timbre Wolf GoldMember Supporter Gold Supporting Member

OOOOOoooooooooo YEAH!! :AOK

- T

14. PedalDude

PedalDude Member

I have noticed when testing EL84 vs. E84L tubes there seems to be a difference. I am using a TV-7D/U tube tester. Now I can't believe all my tubes are bad or have shorts and are gassy. I did not trust my old Telefunken EL84s so I put my Siemens E84L tubes in and tested them. They are showing shorts on several of the switch settings as well as being gassy. Is the TV-7D/U settings different for the EL84 compared to the E84L test settings?

FYI: I am using the settings for the 6BQ5 tube on the TV-7D/U

Also, I have used both types with Yellow Jacket adapters in Fender amps that use 6V6GT tubes. Anyone know if the Yellow Jackets could be killing the EL84 and/or E84L tubes? Anyone seen a similar issue?

Regards,