• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

EA Monorail SIS vs Soldered

peter_heijnen

Anybody tried Monorail SIS vs soldered? I did today.

I've been using monorail for 10 years or so, but only with soldered plugs. Because i'm building a new small board i ordered a SIS set because of the smaller plugs. Putting the SIS cables together is real simple but before installing i first wanted to AB SIS with one of my soldered monorail cables.

Well, i don't think they're very good, the soldered cable simply sounded better. I tested one patch cable between a true bypass Carl Martin The Fuzz and a buffered Carl Martin Chorus Xii in bypass. Both clean and fuzz sounds sounded better with the soldered patch cable.

I've tried George L in the past and now these, no solderless for me anymore.

mike6m

I bought the monorail SIS kit and I don’t love it. While it is small and good cable, I’m slowly switching to soldered cables because the connections are better.

I can’t say if it sounds better though.

jacobhf

Silver Supporting Member
Ive switched from soldered plugs w/monorail to SIS w/monorail with no perceivable change.

If you're hearing a difference in sound there may be an error with how they're being assembled. How are you making them?

johnh

I had given up on solderless cables, but was still attracted to the convenience and size. So I decided to give solderless one last go, and I tried EA SIS cables. I’m completely convinced. I’ve never had such strong, stable solderless cables. I love them.

I find it hard to believe that the guy from the gigrig would be using sis cables for some of the worlds best guitarists if they were so obviously inferior sounding to soldered cables. I really trust his ears, and those of people like Matt Schofield. To be honest, I think you must be doing something wrong in your test.

Last edited:

rollyfoster

Silver Supporting Member
The only issue i have with the monorail is that they don’t seat entirely in some of my pedals. Doesn’t cause any issues but it’s kind of weird they don’t snap in like other plugs.

peter_heijnen

Ive switched from soldered plugs w/monorail to SIS w/monorail with no perceivable change.

If you're hearing a difference in sound there may be an error with how they're being assembled. How are you making them?
The cable was assembled correct. It goes either right, sound, or wrong, no sound.

In fact that SIS doesn't work for me meant a lot of unwanted hassle rearranging my small board. I have a Pigtronix chorus with the power inlet right next to the input. No regular angled plug fits there the way i want it to. But the SIS plug does, so i really wanted that plug to work. I do this kind of testing with a strat with Lollars Blackface into a Groove Tubes Soul-o-Single amp into a 2x12 Dumble style cab on real low volume. That set up doesn't lie.

Last edited:

MrMoose

Were the two cables you A/B'd the same length, exactly? Also, how did you A/B them, in a switcher or unplug-replug?

Neon Soul

If you can post a video, showing you putting together the cables, and showcasing the difference in tone I'd be intrigued to see your findings.

Otherwise, no offence intended, I kinda just assume you are doing it wrong or talking out of your arse.

Sorry.

peter_heijnen

If you can post a video, showing you putting together the cables, and showcasing the difference in tone I'd be intrigued to see your findings.

Otherwise, no offence intended, I kinda just assume you are doing it wrong or talking out of your arse.

Sorry.
Alrighty then!

CarlGuitarist

The cable was assembled correct. It goes either right, sound, or wrong, no sound.
That's not correct at all. You can get a partial short circuit which will result in a much duller and weaker tone. Did you strip back the black skin around the white insulator properly? It's conductive, so if it makes any contact with the tip a short will occur.

If you're not happy with the result you should contact EA, he will most likely offer to buy the plugs back from you.

CarlGuitarist

The only issue i have with the monorail is that they don’t seat entirely in some of my pedals. Doesn’t cause any issues but it’s kind of weird they don’t snap in like other plugs.
EA has acknowledged this, for some reason the plug can expand during assembly. Contact them and they will make it right.

peter_heijnen

That's not correct at all. You can get a partial short circuit which will result in a much duller and weaker tone. Did you strip back the black skin around the white insulator properly? It's conductive, so if it makes any contact with the tip a short will occur.

If you're not happy with the result you should contact EA, he will most likely offer to buy the plugs back from you.
Yes of course did i strip the black skin properly, i've bbeen soldering my own cable for more than 3 decades now. ;)

Thx for the tip, but i didn't use the cable that was supplied with the kit so i can send it back to the shop.

CarlGuitarist

Yes of course did i strip the black skin properly, i've bbeen soldering my own cable for more than 3 decades now. ;)

Thx for the tip, but i didn't use the cable that was supplied with the kit so i can send it back to the shop.
I'd really like to see that comparison video then, because as a long time SIS user this boggles my mind.

peter_heijnen

I'd really like to see that comparison video then, because as a long time SIS user this boggles my mind.
Sorry no video. The difference i noticed is very small. Big enough for me not to want to use it, but most probably too small for video. Besides that, there is really no reason for you to change anything if you're happy, your ears decide. I play with two setups that i keep as pure as possible, max three pedals/2 patch cables between guitar and amp.

dmutter

People seem to race about the quality of the monorail solderless stuff. I believe them that it's good, but have two reasons why I wouldn't buy it.
1) having travelled around with my gear for years I know the wear and tear on cables. I've had solderless stuff fail or deteriorate on more than 1 ocation. In my experience it really is hard to know 100% if you got a great connection with solderless, where as soldered you can see the connection. People say this EA monorail is the best though, but even so...
2)it's so darn expensive! Buying bulk Mogami cable and gold tipped jacks is so cheap. A couple hours work and I have my whole board wired with high quality cables for a fraction of the cost of the EA monorail stuff and it's solid! I think there is a high markup on the convenience of solderless stuff, I don't fault anybody for using it but I don't think I'll be using it again now that I know how to solder.

Last edited:

Trending Topics