EAE Hypersleep v2

lovesickmusic

HI all! I was lucky enough to grab one of these in the last order. It should be here this week and I was wondering if anyone had one yet or had any experience with the v1 to speak of as well.

Im pumped to try it out and its a bummer yet another pedal is being discontinued due to a parts scarcity.

RIP HYPERSLEEP!

Id love to hear your thoughts!

johnetone

Silver Supporting Member
it’s a pretty amazing delay/echo machine. I’ll be sending my v1 into the shop for the filter retrofit soon! I love pairing mine with a delay or another reverb. It’s like this perfect undercurrent. I think it also shines as a vibrato.

one of my favorite weird settings is turning the depth all the way up and the rate all the way down. You can get these really interesting grabby sounds because like the delay time is shorter than the lfo rate.

Dandolin

Reviving this thread because I'm considering whether to send my v1 in for the mods - is there anybody out there who considered it and decided to stick with the v1 specs? johnetone, if you sent yours in and got it back, have you been happy with the results? How big a difference is it for you? I've listened to the demos, and honestly I do think the difference is audible, and there are some settings I like it better for, but maybe not all settings. One thing that I think I'm hearing, which may be the result of the bass reduction in the feedback path, is some less clipping on certain settings, but that is probably rig dependent....

Mildwest

Silver Supporting Member
Just broke out my V2 last night again. I’ve determined it is great with real amps and not so great with modelers. It just really shines in the analog world vs digital to me. Sorry I didn’t answer your question as I never played a v1 but this will bump the thread at least.

johnetone

Silver Supporting Member
Reviving this thread because I'm considering whether to send my v1 in for the mods - is there anybody out there who considered it and decided to stick with the v1 specs? johnetone, if you sent yours in and got it back, have you been happy with the results? How big a difference is it for you? I've listened to the demos, and honestly I do think the difference is audible, and there are some settings I like it better for, but maybe not all settings. One thing that I think I'm hearing, which may be the result of the bass reduction in the feedback path, is some less clipping on certain settings, but that is probably rig dependent....
What serial number do you have? Mine is #7 that I bought from a friend after I sold my first one (stupidly) and it actually needed two mods to get back to the greatness of my first one (which I think was #28). Besides the filter, a resistor in the feedback circuit needed to be updated to match a change that was implemented after the initial 10 or so Hypersleeps were beta tested.

Personally, I prefer the updated filter section too (which was re-designed by Hawker from Asheville Music Tools if I'm not mistaken). He is an absolute genius with filtering and BBD tech. So I'm just super stoked with the way it turned out. I personally feel like the circuit is just the best it can be with the V2 filter.

But, it is a bit more open in some of the upper end of its voice. So if you really want to keep it darker, you may want to keep it stock.

I prefer the slight shift up top because it sounds more natural to my ears and gives other modulation a bit more to grab onto. I usually run it before my ADG1 and TZF2 so I can get some really excellent pads going. and I will say again, that the V2 filter does leave just a touch more up top that my flanger appreciates!

Regarding clipping, I pretty much always have a boost or two on before the Hypeslap and I love the way it sounds. The pedal is just really cool. It honestly shouldn’t be as cool as it is. But somehow it’s just this sound creation tool that helps me achieve so many interesting results.

Dandolin

Thanks for that! We're in the middle of a move, so I'd have to find it before I could tell you the serial number for sure, but I'm certain it wasn't from the first batch (I bought it in August 2020 direct from EAE after I stood down on the first batch). I'm leaning yes, because as much as I love dark tones for ambience, I also recognize that you can't bring back highs after the signal leaves the box...and as I said, I did like what I heard in the comparison demos....

Last edited:

johnetone

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks for that! We're in the middle of a move, so I'd have to find it before I could tell you the serial number for sure, but I'm certain it wasn't from the first batch (I bought it in August 2020 direct from EAE after I stood down on the first batch). I'm leaning yes, because as much as I love dark tones for ambience, I also recognize that you can't bring back highs after the signal leaves the box...and as I said, I did like what I heard un the comparison demos....
yeah man, I also have a Fairfield Shallow Water > Meris Mercury 7 too so for me they kind of do similar things in my signal chain as the Hypersleep does by itself. But while I have been experimenting with HS late chain I may move it further up soon to give it a shot ahead of dirt and maybe even *gasp* fuzz.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom