EAR AD4096 analog delay > Verdict?

slave

Hi peeps,

I'm looking at a delay with some tools for noise making, mainly an footswitch to go into oscillation for work on guitar, slide, bass and keys, maybe even some uke or mandolin.

The Endangered Audio Research AD4096 grabbed my interest.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzy6NZ4FxgI

Anyone own one?
Previously owned one?
What are the pro's and con's of this little analog delay?

Cheers.

jawajt

I've never played one. I have heard good things. One thing that kept me away was the short delay time, which I think was around 300ms. I also wanted modulation, which it lacks. I too like the foot switchable oscillation. I was lucky enough to grab a DMMTT1100 before they got crazy expensive. Honestly, I'd recommend either a DMMTT550 or Caroline Kilobyte over the AD4096. They both have foot switchable oscillation. The AD4096 sounds great, but the other two are more versatile. The DMMTT550 also has an fx loop. So you can do really cool things to the repeats with other effects. I think you could find a used DMMTT550 for about the same price as a AD4096. And the Kilobyte is even cheaper. My .02 YMMV Good luck.

popvulture

I've been thinking about buying one of these for a little while now. The analog delay with feedback hold switch is what drew me to pedals of this sort... I bought a JAM Delay Llama+ because I thought it was the best option, but in retrospect I think it's a bit too clean. It's branded as "lo-fi" on the JAM site, but it's much cleaner than other analog delays I own (Maxon, Malekko). Plus the hold switch leaves something to be desired, though I haven't messed with the internal trim pot yet.

The Endangered sounds much better to my ears--more character despite shorter (I believe) delay time.

ufo~

Man, I've lusted after that pedal for a while now but my analog delay needs are covered by the AD202. As an added bonus, with a little tweaking mine can generate it's own clock noise at longer delay times. Nearly identical to the 4096 noise. Still, I want one for my board.

Slideman

I had one for two years...and recently parted with it. It was a great sounding lo-fi delay; however, I was only really using it for slap-back, solo thickener due to the short range of delay time. For that I preferred my Aqua Puss (and nearly half the value).

That being said...it's warm, oscillates beautifully, and sits very much underneath your notes for some great ambient tones. But I was always craving more delay time to justify keeping it -- it would have paired well with the AP. One observation, despite the ability to blend your delay/echo into the mix, it did have a volume drop on notes...but it also had a soft attack (which some people prefer). The Echo if brought up too high into the mix would have a metallic "ping" to the notes...which was cool for an effect, but not what I was after for my short delay time needs. It's well crafted, built solid and would be a great delay/echo for those looking for something different....it just didn't suit me for what I needed it for.

Trotter

I had one and absolutely hated it. The metallic "ping" drove me nuts.

I couldn't get rid of that pedal fast enough... I'd take a Carbon Copy any day of the week over the AD4096!

pharmacybear

I had one for maybe a month. I love analog delays, I have the Moog delay, DM3, and until it recently broke a DMM. I play all sorts of music, but I do find myself in a lot of experimental/noise projects. The AD4096 is a pretty neat pedal, but two complaints.

Very short delay times. Even shorter than my DM3. Kinda felt like slapback, or a little longer slap.

Clock noise was really loud. This is coming from a guy who really enjoys the sound of clock noise. But it's very present as you turn the echo up, and for me was just too much.

If my DM3 bit the dust, I would maybe considering getting another one of these to replace it. The infinite repeats function was very cool and I do miss it. The pedal is built like a tank, but it was just too expensive to justifying keeping at the time given it's limited usability to me. If you're looking for a noisemaker delay, I would maybe look at the Red Panda Particle, or if you're wanting analog I'd look into a DM3, AD999, or the Moog Minifooger Delay.

jocfan1

I'll throw my favorite delay on the pile here: Ibanez Ad-9. Keeley does a mod that adds true bypass and turns the original foot switch into an oscillation switch. For my money, nothing better than my 1983 AD-9.

slave

Thanks for all the love!

.... I too like the foot switchable oscillation. I was lucky enough to grab a DMMTT1100 before they got crazy expensive. Honestly, I'd recommend either a DMMTT550 or Caroline Kilobyte over the AD4096. They both have foot switchable oscillation.
Cheers.
I hadn't thought of the DMMTT > I'll check them out.
.... I would maybe look at the Red Panda Particle, or if you're wanting analog I'd look into a DM3, AD999, or the Moog Minifooger Delay.
Thanks > I've heard a lot about the AD999, Moog and DM3 > all look pretty good and the AD999 seems to get a lot of love. Ta for the research material.

DonaldDemon

I'll throw my favorite delay on the pile here: Ibanez Ad-9. Keeley does a mod that adds true bypass and turns the original foot switch into an oscillation switch. For my money, nothing better than my 1983 AD-9.
Love my 80's AD-9! Nothing has that warmth and fatness in the repeats like it. I do wish it had just a tad more delay time, which one reason I passed on the EAR though it does look cool

Trending Topics