Ear Fatigue...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by John55, Jan 17, 2008.

1. John55

John55 Member

In several threads I've read many folks post about certain amps that really give their ears a workover. I've suffered with tinnitis for many years and for me, it seems a BF Fender is the one that bothers me the most. I love the tone of my old BFDR and Pro reverb, but playing them at volume really gets the ears begging for mercy after a short while. Makes no difference if I use a pedal or just open them up, they just wear on me really quick. OTOH, I can fire up my Germino LV55 and blast away and it seems almost soothing in comparison! What amps seem to do this to you?? Is there any way to EQ an amp differently to remedy this or is it just their inherent tonal qualities that aggravate one person's ears and not another's?

2. Plague Dog

Plague Dog Member

3. rburkard

rburkard Gold Supporting Member

The speaker can be blamed in most cases. Just to name a few usual subjects: Celestion Vintage 30 and Celestion Century are high on the list.
    Rene

4. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

I run a single Celestion V30 through a darker voiced amp and there is no problem. Of course if you're running 4 of them in a closed back cabinet on a small stage or in a small club, you're just asking for fatique.

Black face Deluxe Reverbs can be hard simply because they are wired as if the bright switch is always on. I've found they warm up nicely when you either roll the treble down to around 3-4 or clip the bright cap.

Otherwise, most BF Fender amps are pretty brightly voiced, regardless of speaker.

5. John55

John55 Member

I never have the treble set over 3 on either one, and they are still bright. I'm sure that's why they are hard on my ears.

6. es125luv

es125luv Member

I cannot say enough about hearing protection these days... but I can honestly say my Genz Black Pearl can get quiet and still do the job.

I had to say "goodbye" to some huge wattage amps.

the same thing was happening to me, but try these first...

http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er20.aspx

7. bosstone

bosstone Member

Right On! See your audiologist. They have some great plugs these days especially tailored for musicians.

8. Nomadgtr

Nomadgtr Member

+1 on the musician's earplugs! One of the best investments I ever made. The only downside is you'll last alot longer than others around you that don't use them. Everybody in the band should wear them if you use them.

9. tinkercity

tinkercity Supporting Member

Interesting...Really need to get these going for my ears sake! How do they feel? Does the tip on the end feel strange, as it sticks out of the ear a bit?