Ear plugs & live performance

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by jbd3, Feb 7, 2012.

1. jbd3

jbd3 Please Don't Sell Me Any More Gear Silver Supporting Member

I'm thinking it might be time to bite the bullet and start using ear plugs for gigs. Like a lot of you, I've always hated ear plugs because of how different they make things sound; they end up being more of a distraction than anything else. But my ears have taken enough of a beating over the years that maybe I ought to try ear plugs again. Basically the perfect earplug would make everything sound just the same, only quieter--which I know sounds obvious, but every time I tried them in the past they just made everything sound weird. I also don't want to buy a super expensive custom set (please don't lecture me about this). Any suggestions?

2. buddyrama

buddyrama Supporting Member

I use Sonic Ear Valves by Norton, have for years. I find that they take the bite off the high end cymbal stuff that kills me. Great for cuttin the grass too.

3. ggwwbb

ggwwbb Member

I use Hear-Os. They are about $15 for a set and sound pretty good. They do alter the sound a bit, but not very much. Definitely better than messing your hearing up.

4. Brooks

Brooks Member

short of the expensive custom sets, these are best imho.

5. ButchR

ButchR Komet Player Gold Supporting Member

I use Hear-O's also. I use them when I go to concerts. We use in ear monitors live.

6. dukeh62

dukeh62 Supporting Member

I sprang for a set of fitted Westone's years ago, and now I can't gig or go to a show without them. Give it a few gigs and you'll get used to them. Yes, it will seem strange at first, but you'll adjust. It's worth it!

neville5000 likes this.
  7. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

Hear-O's for me unless I'm using IEMs.

8. s2y

s2y Member

It has been a while since I was in a band, but I just used the same stuff I used when I went shooting. I had no real complaints.

9. Shugaboy

Shugaboy Member

rolled up tissue for me

10. Rockledge

Rockledge Member

I just go to walmart and get the cheap old purple swimmers ear plugs and don't insert them all the way. They work great and cut the sound level down without cutting into the clarity much.
    I learned that from a drummer that turned me on to them.

11. cram

cram Member

I got westone custom molded plugs and they work like a charm.

neville5000 and jrjones like this.
  12. Gas-man

Gas-man Unrepentant Massaganist

I used IEMs for a while which turned out to be a bit of a pain so I'm back to hearos.

I can't imagine playing a gig without them. Or going anywhere near a live band without them. Or going to a movie for that matter. I wear them all the time.

The great thing is you can control how much attenuation you get by how far you put them in your ears.

13. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

I don't wear them when playing, but they're imperative when seeing bands.

14. mesa/boogieman

mesa/boogieman Senior Member

I use these. They work very well.

15. Alister

Alister Supporting Member

Eymotics for me. I'm sure they're not the best, but they're affordable, fit me OK, and I have about 6 pairs of them, which lessens my forgetting.

I only play out 2-3-4 times a year now, but I'd rather forget my tuner or guitar strap than the plugs. They are the great "Correctall" against clanky drummers and crowd noise. I don't even remember I have them in, now. (Which may be a bad indicator; it's possible they're not doing as much as I assume they are.)

Nor will I enter a bar, arena, or stadium to hear other bands without them.

jrjones likes this.
  16. Ryan

Ryan Member

17. GerryJ

GerryJ Member

I use the simple foam ones from Lowe's, Walmart, etc. As mentioned above, you can adjust how much of them to block depending on how loud the band is, or if you find yourself right next to the cymbals or a PA, etc. I've seen local professional sound guys use them, running a mixing board (loud rock or red dirt bands in big brick warehouses), just fine.
    Swimming plugs work well too. I tried a few brands for musicians which claimed to not cut out the tone so much, etc....honestly if there's a difference it's a small one.
    I think you have to accept that it just won't sound exciting, but you're saving your hearing.

18. mikey

mikey Member

I like using plugs that are used for flight, I pick 'em up at a local drug store. ...They cut 25db if I'm not mistaken. The low end was really boomy to me when trying Hearos, ymmv.

I also suffer from tinnitus so I highly recommend protecting your ears. Tinnitus can be terribly frustrating! Don't wait to find out for yourself....

wrong_note_rod likes this.
  19. Custom50

Custom50 Member

^ I'm with you!

these ears have taken enough of a beating. I use earplugs for every show and practice. I hate losing the sound quality but not as much as I hate hearing damage.