Ear plugs?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by el34power, Feb 27, 2006.

1. el34power

el34power Member

Last Saturday, we rehearsed in a new place..smaller than the previous.
    Jesus! it was loud..in order to get a good overall level with the drums and so on...
    Are there good plugs that don't screw up the tone, and could lightly attenuate...10DB?

thanks

2. MrSage

MrSage Member

3. vroom

vroom Member

I got these last week. Really work well. The only tone difference I noticed was some of the harshness was lost from my 5150 (which wasn't a bad thing). It becomes almost too easy to crank the amp to a rediculous level.

4. HarryJ

HarryJ Member

I could not imagine NOT having my Westone plugs with Etymotic 15dB filters.
    I've had them for years and find them to be invaluable.

You generally have to go to an audiologist to get fitted for the plugs, then choose filters.

I have had fellow musicians comment on the $150+ price tag... my reply is generally "$150 now or couple grand for good hearing aids later.

There are also far less expensive versions, I can't comment... others will

HJ
    www.harryj.net

5. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

+1 to everything.

Not only do the Westones have a nice flat attenuation curve (so you're only fighting Fletcher Munson at lower volumes), they're incredibly comfortable: wearing them for several hours at a strech is a non-issue.

I love my Westones but keep a set of Hearos High Fidelity Filters as a backup. If you don't have the $150 for the good stuff, they're an acceptable substitute--not nearly as flat or comfortable but not bad, IMO.

6. bailnout

bailnout Member

I have found that wearing just one ordinary soft foam ear plug in the ear that is facing the drummer works pretty well for me. The cymbals give my ears the most fatigue and I still have one "open" ear to hear what something really sounds like if it need to. As an added benefit, I can hear myself sing much better. I almost don't need a monitor at all.

But if you are really serious about protecting your hearing, don't leave one ear open like I do. Follow the good suggestions above.

7. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

these are good, and IMHO, the best over the counter you can buy.

BUT, the etymotic ones which are similar, are also that much better. much smoother sounding, if that makes any sense. actually clearer sounding, and yet like turning down the volume a couple of notches. amazing really.

8. dosmun

dosmun Member

9. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

+1 on the etymotic ER-20s!

For extremely cheap (about 12 dollars USD), you get comfortable ear plugs, and you're still in the mix!

They also help my singing ;) I've sold some of my backup pairs to fellow musicians (and replace them afterwards), and all I hear are constant thanks from them for saving their hearing. Work great!

10. el34power

el34power Member

Where did you get them?

11. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

hey, fellow canadian!

I called up the gramophone in edmonton, AB. They shipped them to me for uber cheap ($16 each plus $3 shipping, CAD). Here's a link:

http://www.gramophone.ca/
    Phone: [SIZE=-1](780) 428-2356[/SIZE]

12. el34power

el34power Member

Cool. Thanks for that:BEER

13. Shnook

Shnook Supporting Member

This thread is perfect timing. After not being able to hear my neck pickup at all during my last band practice using standard noise reduction earplugs, I've been looking around at what else is out there. Just ordered some etymotic ER-20's. They've got to be better than what I've been using. And I'm hoping a lot better.

14. 6789

6789 Member

I use custom plugs from www.sensaphonics.com
    things still sound pretty good but quieter with these. and they fit comfortably.
    I've got er 20s and er 15s.

15. vroom

vroom Member

I found them on ebay for $12 and some change, shipped. As mentioned above, they might help your singing as they seem to make your own voice easier to hear.

16. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I know this has been gone over before. I have tinnitus already. Have also pleaded with folk to use ear plugs, as this is really hellish and no way to escape the sound. Also it can affect balance, etc.

Well...I'm still not used to using them. I try and I am not getting any more used to them than before. I really have a hard time keeping them in, because though I can hear my guitar, I get so insecure about my level in relation to the rest of the band...just like with earplugs you wonder if you are talking REALLY LOUD...or way too soft, it is much harder to judge.

Also, any sparkle in the tone is just gone, which is less inspiring when playing. I know the keyboard player has a LOT of hearing issues too, he has been trying to use them too, but ends up removing them as he feels he can't hear.

The brand is a Dutch brand, but they are expensive and good...they have different filter capabilities...color coded, so I am going to try a little less filtering but I just wondered about others experience with ear plugs, if you get better at hearing "through" them over time?

17. Madsman

Madsman Member

The ER20s are great, and I used them for years... Hearos has one that's basically the exact same thing, re-named.

I would have to say, though, as much of a night and day difference as THOSE are, compared to crappy foam earplugs, it's night and day all over again from the ER20s to custom plugs with removable filters. I have the Sensaphonics plugs with the 15 dB and I'll tell you, they're totally worth it. It's the closest you're going to get to hearing your gear the way it sounds at rehearsal without blowing your ears out.

EASILY worth every penny.

18. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Madsman, thanks for the recommendation. I copied the text and sent it home to myself so I wouldn't just forget it. Definitely will be checking these out on your recommendation, but "custom plugs", how do they custom fit them? Do you need to involve an ear doctor, or ??

(had visions of me on the kitchen table, head on the table trying to trace my ear :)

Of course...I'm guessing some kind of claylike substance that you put in the ear so they can get the dimensions of the ear canal?

I'll check them out for sure...about what is the cost?

19. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

custom ones go for about 150-200 dollars, I believe. Which is why I endorse the ER-20s so much.

Same reason I bought a godlyke PA-9 instead of a voodoo labs; i.e. You're getting much more than you pay for

20. UnderTheGroove

UnderTheGroove Supporting Member

You will need to go to an Audiologist to get a fitting done. Just as you guessed, they take a mold of your ears to get them made. They cost about $150. Mine are from Westone, and they have a page on their site to find someone local to you:
    http://www.westone.com/cgi-local/muslookup.pl