Ear plugs...

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by HesNot, Feb 1, 2018.

1. HesNot

HesNot Supporting Member

I have always been a little (ok a lot) protective of my hearing - in the early days stuffed cotton in my ears at shows almost all the time - I've only had a few experiences where I didn't and regretted it... More recently unless it's a jazz show or acoustic show I have used the foam earplugs - and recently got a set of earasers and some dubs (for my son). The earasers work pretty well but I do still feel like it's a bit muffled rather than just quieter. Dubs were about the same...

Bands I've played in have generally not been super loud. Actually most have been very moderate volume so I've never worn earplugs when playing. But I've just joined a start up band and we are currently playing in a buddies basement - small room - two guitars bass and drums - and the drummer is a hard hitter. The room is pretty lively as well and it was definitely loud enough that after 1.5 hours of playing I felt it... don't want that experience again so until we get a practice space with more ft2 and better acoustics I want to wear earplugs.

Anyone use something other than Earasers or Dubs they can recommend that are better?

2. jrjones

jrjones Supporting Member

I have etymotics that I wear at loud concerts. For gigs and rehearsals I usually use in-ears.

willyboy likes this.
  3. loudboy

loudboy Member

If you're playing with live drums, you are damaging your hearing. No two ways about it.

All earplugs will change the sound to a various extent - I've tried 'em all and there are none that don't. They do take a lot of the "fun" out of playing loud, but I need my hearing. <g>

Get something you can live with and just get used to them. I've used the Silencio brand shooter's plugs for years. 26dB of reduction, comfortable and cheap.

MikeMcK and yakyak like this.
  4. es3

es3 Member

Used foam earplugs at work and gigs. Smear glycerin on them they insert easier and kill noise better. I like those earplugs that are like heroes you know the kind with the ridges with a stem because they are comfortable and easy to insert they don't kill quite as much noise as the foam ones. I have worked a lot of loud jobs and played some incredibly loud bands. I think everything that can go wrong with an ear is wrong with mine, recruitment, definitely hyperacousis significant hearing loss but I can still hear most people talk and hear music okay. I can hear 12,000 tone but when I hear that tone it sounds exactly like the ringing in my ears is getting louder but it's not ,just sounds like it because the ringing in my ears is at approximately that frequency. We just do the best we can with what we've got I don't worry about it. It doesn't do any good to worry just deal with it

5. Stefenator

Stefenator Member

6. PaulE

PaulE Supporting Member

Years ago I had custom earplugs made by an audiologist.
    They came with 3 different levels of attenuation so you can dial them in for the situation.
    Pretty weird experience they take what looks like a caulking gun and shoot it in your ears for a model.
    Worked great for a long time.
    About 100.00 (quite a while ago now)

Gillespie1983, willyboy and strat62 like this.
  7. LTE

LTE Member

I just used the foam plugs you can buy when I did "Little Shop Of Horrors." I was sitting next and slightly infront of the drummer. In fact the cymbal was right at my ear. They worked great.

8. Fishyfishfish

Fishyfishfish Member

I use the -30 3M safety orange plugs for about three years now. My “trick” is to put them in about 45 minutes before playing so I am used to any coloration.

NorCal_Val and ned7flat5 like this.
  9. cbell2112

cbell2112 Member

I just got a pair of Westone's($225) as you describe with the middle level attenuator. Went to a show and I kept them all the way in for about 20% of the show, out for about 30% and somewhere in the middle for the rest of the time, trying to experiment. Having them all the way in is really strange. In some ways you can hear a little better because it filters out a lot of the distortion but you miss out on some details in the music as well. Honestly, did not work as well as I would have liked. This was a loud show too, Black Label Society and Corrosion of Conformity.

10. loudboy

loudboy Member

Your ears/brain are quite remarkable at adapting to different sounds, which is why the cheap ones are just as effective as the $$ ones, IME. You just need to get used to the way they alter the sound and your brain will compensate.

11. ned7flat5

ned7flat5 Member

That’s definitely the approach to any success with wearing plugs - also don’t remove them during breaks in rehearsal otherwise it’s back to square one.

strat62 likes this.
  12. HesNot

HesNot Supporting Member

I really like the idea of putting them in early to let your ears and brain adjust..

13. MLaVache

MLaVache Member

I recently made my own custom-molded earplugs (and IEMs) using a $10 kit from Radians. So nice.

I still have about 50 of the foam earplugs lying around and I don't think I'll ever use them all.

14. AbstractLunatic

AbstractLunatic Member

Hearos hi-fidelity work okay for me...

15. fetishfrog

fetishfrog Member

16. bugzapper

bugzapper Member

I get a lot of mileage out of these:

[​IMG]

Howard Leight Quiet--NRR 26--inexpensive and reusable

At medium volume concerts, in loud clubs, in subways, etc., they take off a lot of edge.

I wouldn't use them for playing with a loud drummer in a small space or at loud concert (some might; certainly would be way better than nothing). In those cases, I bite the bullet and use the high NRR foam plugs.

Would love to try genuinely well-fitted custom plugs.

17. LTE

LTE Member

The best advice I ever got from a doctor is to never use ear plugs with diaphragms in them that are supposed to move to block the hole when loud sounds occur. He said they fail and you might as well not be wearing anything.

18. ggwwbb

ggwwbb Member

Earpeace makes some good ones that are comfortable, work great, and aren't very expensive (around $15), but after I got some custom molded ones a few years ago, those are the only ones I use anymore. Super comfortable and work great. I was lucky that a friend made them for me, but I would gladly spend the $$$ on them.

19. NorCal_Val

NorCal_Val Member

I’ve used either the Howard Leight, or 3m foam ear plugs.(30db reduction) Wore them at the EJ concert last night, the Queens Of The Stone Age show the night before, and the Meshuggah show Saturday night. Rather have the shows be a little muted than my ears ringing.

20. GloryJones

GloryJones Member

Earasers for not super loud situations. For louder settings, Alpine plugs. They have swappable filters. Comfortable too.