ear plugs

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by washuffitze3, May 27, 2008.

1. washuffitze3

washuffitze3 Member

so im 20 yrs old and having hearing problems already due to loud playing and concert-going. someone recommend me a good not too expensive pair of earplugs that remove a good amount of dB levels while also keeping clarity. the foam cheap earplugs are good for taking out dB levels, but takes a lot of the tone away from what your listenin to.
    links would be great.
    thanks!

2. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

Ditto on the ones above

3. DaBlizzardofOz

DaBlizzardofOz Member

are these pretty much the same thing as the hearos high fidelity plugs? I have those & while they're better than the cheap ones, I still have trouble hearing the highs (especially if i'm playing with distortion)

4. dotlikeimpact

dotlikeimpact Supporting Member

I'm thinking about springing for the custom molded ones. Any thoughts on those bad boys?

5. dk123123dk

dk123123dk Member

goto an Ear nose and throat doctor. Have them make you up a set of plugs. It will cost a few hundred bucks, but they are well worth it. Its your HEARING. As a musician, you NEED your hearing!

dk

6. blues junkie

blues junkie Supporting Member

Westone makes some very nice custom ear plugs cost me about $120.00 5 years ago. use them on every gig, concerts and movies.

7. traviswalk

traviswalk In the Great State Gold Supporting Member

I got the custom molded ones, I will say they are great for a guitarist/drummer/bass player etc. But as a guitarist who does lead vocals, I found it hard to hear vocals accurately. To much "head cold"-type sound with vocals. But as a stand alone guitarist, spending ~$300 on the custom molded ones is awesome and really just brings the entire level of the room down to a bearable level. Highly recommended particularly for long term use.

8. danelectro

danelectro Supporting Member

I have rather severe tinitus and I've been using earplugs for the past six years. I started out with the foam plugs, but they really muffle the tone. Next I switched to the Etyplugs. They have more of a flat atenuation than foam plugs, but are a little more uncomfortable. Last year I had a set of custom-molded Westone plugs made and they're a huge improvement. They're very comfortable, and I wouldn't say that that have a perfectly flat attenuation, but they're good enough that I don't mind wearing them at all. Mine only cost $125 from a hearing aid shop.

Everybody do yourself a favor and invest in earplugs. My ears have been ringing non-stop for the last seven years. All it takes is five minutes of playing my guitar at a moderate volume to cause them to ring twice as loud for the rest of the day. It really sucks because I really enjoy listening to my music loud and now I can't tolerate it for even five minutes. Had I worn earplugs when exposed to extremely loud music, then at least I could still enjoy my stereo at a decent level now and then.

9. George Johnson

George Johnson Member

Big +1.

REALLY wish I had known this 30 years ago. :(

10. washuffitze3

washuffitze3 Member

glad i know this now. i think im gonna try a pair of etymotics. they sound decent for a start. and of course its better than nothing.

11. Zero

Zero Member

I don't know why I was so smart when I started playing but I have always protected my ears. I'm a bit obsessive about it now. The band makes fun of me, like we did a road trip to a gig and I wore my heavier attenuating plugs in the minivan because of road noise. At gigs i wear the Hearos Hi fidelity and I like them. I think they are 12db or 15.

12. Mattbedrock

Mattbedrock Silver Supporting Member

+1 on the etymotics. I wish I had starting using them sooner before I ruined my ears.

13. shredtrash

shredtrash Supporting Member

I've played with earplugs for years. As a matter of fact, I can't play without them now because everything sounds too bright! Good thing for me, huh? Protect your hearing!

14. Nacho Strato

Nacho Strato Member

Hendrix didn't wear earplugs...

15. washuffitze3

washuffitze3 Member

just ordered a pair of ER-20 HI FI. il give them a try and il report back.

16. cochese

cochese Supporting Member

I would say if you are having hearing problems you should go to an audiologist for a hearing test. Unfortunately if you have any kind of loss even the custom musicians earplugs may not help. My audiologist told me that people with hearing loss usually need some type of compensation to make up for the frequencys they are missing.

Even the custom fit musicians plugs are not really great in terms of maintaining the same sound you would hear without them but they do protect your hearing. I have 9, 15 and 25 db filters for my custom fit plugs. 15db are recommended for electric guitars and drums.

17. Free

Free Member

True, but I always wonder how much damage he did - Clapton, Kossoff, Page, Blackmore, etc, etc too - all of them cranking stacks for years. They must certainly all have suffered varying levels of tinnitus...

18. The Captain

The Captain Supporting Member

BUt, satisfy my curiousity. Does cranking a stack in a huge or open air venues result in a significantly greater sound pressure, than a much lower volume level in a smaller space.
    I'm asking this, because in my practice room, I have noticed that once the room is "full of sound", ie, carrying an optimal sound pressure level, more power from the amp just sounds worse not better.
    So, my reason is, that in a larger space, you need more volume to crate the same "pressure level".
    Is that sound (ha ha) reasoning, or a bunch of baloney ?

BTW, I'm taking the advice, and buying earplugs.

19. FuzzyWilson

FuzzyWilson Member

Ditto. Frightened by the tinnitus I now can't get rid of, I spent the bucks on these westone custom molded plugs and even bought all the filters 9db 15dB & 25dB. As a singer & guitar player I cannot use these. I've tried several times and it's just not happening. Even with the lightest 9dB filter in sounds get completely lost making it very difficult and unenjoyable to sing & play. I will say they do work well for concerts and drummers & bass players would probably love them.