Ear test game - 3 mystery Fender Guitars

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by frankenstomp, Feb 13, 2012.

1. frankenstomp

frankenstomp Member

Hey Folks,

Thought I'd record a comparison of my three Fender electrics. I wanted to hear the differences (or not) on record for myself, but then I thought you might have fun trying to guess which model they were. Not trying to prove any points or anything, just some fun.

So here's the deal:

These are relatively stock, basic Fender models. Imports, 2 from Japan, 1 from Mexico.

I hacked my way through some riffs from some songs on the neck, middle, and bridge position. If a guitar has other positions/switches besides those, I skipped those so it wouldn't be too easy.

The guitars are always in the same order (the first guitar on the bridge track is the same guitar as the first one on the neck track, etc.)

You try to guess what model you're listening to.

I'll give you the answers after a while.

[SOUNDCLOUD]http://soundcloud.com/infinipus/3-fenders-bridge-pickup[/SOUNDCLOUD]
    [SOUNDCLOUD]http://soundcloud.com/infinipus/3-fenders-middle-pickup[/SOUNDCLOUD]
    [SOUNDCLOUD]http://soundcloud.com/infinipus/3-fenders-neck-pickup[/SOUNDCLOUD]

2. frankenstomp

frankenstomp Member

No guesses? Too chicken to be wrong? Don't worry. We're all friends here. I was surprised how similar they sounded.

3. dazco

dazco Member

I always find this amusing because to me, way more than 1/2 of what we perceive as a guitar's tone are actually feel which doesn't come across in a sound file . You have to be playing it yourself. I can tell you which caps i have in certain positions in my amp when I'm the opne playing. Put my guitar in someone else's hand and i could barely tell you which amp it is ! Sound files are ridiculous IMO. The best they can tell you are things that are radically different sounding. How can you expect people to hear the difference between several strats when people often debate whether a guitar on a sound file is a strat or LP and may get it wrong ! Trust me, if you could make a strat and LP feel physically the same so a blindfolded person couldn't tell what he was playing except by tone, not one person would guess wrong. What does all that tell you about sound files?

4. stetyrrell

stetyrrell Member

I have a feeling that no 1) was a Jazzmaster, 2) a Strat and 3) a Tele.

5. Wileyone

Wileyone Member

X2 at least let us know what amp and pedals you are running, are they all the same on every clip?

6. frankenstomp

frankenstomp Member

I totally agree Dazco, there's a lot of difference between these guitars for me as a playing experience, but the sound is quite close. Recordings are certainly not all there is to an instrument.

I do think it's fun to see if you can really hear differences on record though as an exercise or a curiosity. People always talk about the hallmark sounds of certain models, but it can be a challenge to really tell.

For what it's worth, they are not all Strats (but are all Fenders).

7. Scooter Burbank

Scooter Burbank Member

I think the second one's a tele and the third one's a strat. I don't know what the first one is.

8. 6789

6789 Member

They all sound the same to me. It also sounds like the guitar was recorded direct - no amp - no mic.

9. frankenstomp

frankenstomp Member

All recorded with the exact same settings. I guess this could open up whole other can of "can you hear the difference" worms, but it's done with an Amplitube amp modeler, for ease of recording. It's supppsed to be a Deluxe Reverb. Straight in, no pedals.

10. GA20T

GA20T Member

Heh. It'd be nice if they were the same musical passage at least... They sound like magnets, some copper wire, and what is possibly a line in/usb interface recording, though it could be a speaker (I'm not too sure).

11. frankenstomp

frankenstomp Member

Well, they're the same musical passage on each pickup. So, when you listen to one track, you're comparing the neck pickup (for example) of each guitar in turn. I guess I could have done the same thing for every pickup, but I figured I'd go with something that suited the pickup setting.

Admittedly, it's an exercise in subtlety. Just wanted to see if I could hear differences.

12. Echo

Echo Member

Third one is a strat...

Second might be a thinline? I don't know. The only sound I can PEG is that first one. Just sounds like a strat to me.

13. frankenstomp

frankenstomp Member

Okay, spoilers ahead.

Answers:
    The first guitar on each track is a Tele. FSR Ash, Keystone pickups if you care.
    2nd is an 80s Japan Strat
    3rd is a 90s Japan Jaguar

I'm sure there are better ways to do this, but for myself, I guess I learned that there are some subtle sonic differences between my guitars, but a single coil Fender sort of just sounds like a Fender to me. Unless you're on position 2 & 4 on the Strat. Then everyone would know which one that was.

14. RG_76

RG_76 Silver Supporting Member

damn, i would have never guessed jaguar for #3. that's a pretty damn sweet tone ;p

15. GA20T

GA20T Member

My apologies. Too much coffee today and reading comprehension is way down. I was looking for one guitar per track... you'd think the visual representation of the sound files/track would have clued me in. :eek:

16. Dipintoplayer

Dipintoplayer Member

I got #3 Right but i thought #1 was a MIM Standard Strat with #2 a Tele

I'm a Strat guy who has been thinking about buying a Tele ..I have never owned one and have only played a squire model in 30 plus years of playing .I like the warmth your getting from the Tele..

17. Prerequisite

Prerequisite Member

First one's a Tele, second one's a strat.. Can't quite put my finger on the third.

EDIT: Just saw the answers. Didn't know Jaguars had tone like that, you learn something new everyday!

18. vortexxxx

vortexxxx Member

Japanese Jaguar pickups have a slightly brighter tone than the US pickups.

19. rushcentrale

rushcentrale Member

recording 3 single coil guitars direct into your computer is going to have a very sterile and similar sound. you might as well have mic'd the guitars acoustically and tried to figure out the differences that way. i think the nuances of the pickups and different guitars are gonna be more apparent mic'd from a nice amp.

20. =JL=

=JL= Member

Amazingly similar really. I knew the middle one was a Strat, but only because of the middle position.
    Listen to the second file again, it's fairly obvious that on the second guitar it's a middle pickup, rather than two pickups.
    Apart from that I was completely clueless :rotflmao