Earbuds : Recommend a pair for laptop computer listening

Please recommend a pair of low priced good sounding earbuds for listening to music on a laptop computer.

Most earbuds with a sensitivity specification below 100db are ever fainter maximum volume the lower the spec , and the eq of the good volume Koss SparkPlugs (sensitivity 112db) I have been using seems sonically unbalanced by being much heavier in the bass than the mids and highs.

Price also is a consideration at below 30 dollars (the lower the better) because of my tendency to wear out the thin wires and need to buy new headphones, especially because of using laptop on the go in public rather than only gently at home.

WireCutter review highly recommends a pair of Panasonic RP-TCM125 earbuds but user reviews mention these headphones are appropriate for listening to music on telephones rather than laptops, perhaps because sensitivity is 97db.

Triangle

If you know anyone with a Samsung phone, the ones that come with them are actually pretty decent. Most people will just give them to you.

neoprimitive

I stumbled upon a good pair by accident, I was at work and the mini jack on my skull candy titans failed, so I ran over to radio shack and bought a cheap pair to use at work. They are Auvio brand at radio shack sells for $24, and I very surprised with them. Sound better and cleaner the my skulcandys ever did at half the price. I liked them so much I picked up a second pair, for backups. I'm just leaving em in the package till it's time. But for $24, they surpass my needs and then some.. I like my ear buds loud with a good amount of non-overhyped bass, and these deliver greatly. Worth checking out.. I use them with my laptop and my lite sans a MP3 player as well as my phone and tablet.. worth very penny.

jtindle

trower

[geer/peyj] hubris, confuse, paralysis by analysis
Gold Supporting Member
He needs to stop buying cheap ones that break,,bru

Bull...My first expensive pair broke 3 weeks after I bough a IPod, they looked perfect and I don't know what happened. Static, intermittent connection at the plug... I've had my Gas Station $19.99 cheep's going on a year now.

DYNA BILL

I cannot keep earbuds in my ears. They just keep falling out. I guess my ear structure is too small.
So I just use a set of Sony headphones.
Anybody recommend a pair that is smaller than those you get with say, an Ipod?

BrokenRomeo

I picked up a pair of Panasonic RPHJE120 buds and they were awful. Not sure what everyone was using them with but on my laptops they sounded terrible.

Awful?? Maybe something was up with yours, or the jack on your laptop...I have had tons of them (the kids get a hold of them!!), and they sound great, and are comfortable...3 different size ear inserts and unlike regular earbuds, they stay in and don't hurt. You can adjust the bass frequencies by how far in they sit in your ear. Sure there are better ones for 10 or 20 times the cost, but for $7 dollars they sound good enough and you can have them in any color!! Read the amazon reviews. If I want true audiophile, I will go with cans...

barryg_nyc

I've tried a bunch over the years.

I've had a lot of luck with the Sennheisers - the CX300 and CX200

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-Precision-Enhanced-Earbuds-Black/dp/B001EZYMF4

One thing to note is that Sennheiser has a 3-year warranty. I've sent a few pair back to them after one channel failed and they sent me new ones each time.
So, if you assume that no earbuds will last more than a year or so (and I've had $100 ones fail as frequently as $30 ones), then getting the ones with the good warranty pays off. (I had a pair of Beats buds that died after 15 months, and I was out of luck).

Reddog

I've enjoyed the SkullCandy Ink'd (about $20 at Radio Shack...cheaper at other places) and have used them for years. I use them with my laptop and MP3 player. Works well for both. They usually short out after about 6-8 months of usage (depending on how hard I use them - I use them alot while working out), but I like the sound, the clarity and their isolative qualities. Gets reasonable bass if you ensure that they are inserted in the ear properly.

ldizzle

Silver Supporting Member
I've enjoyed the SkullCandy Ink'd (about $20 at Radio Shack...cheaper at other places) and have used them for years. I use them with my laptop and MP3 player. Works well for both. They usually short out after about 6-8 months of usage (depending on how hard I use them - I use them alot while working out), but I like the sound, the clarity and their isolative qualities. Gets reasonable bass if you ensure that they are inserted in the ear properly.

I get these at tj max for $12 and they last, sound good, and make great gym ear buds.

Apparently the suggested Monoprice 8320 (108320) earbuds used to be best but the quality has fallen in recent years.

See review :
http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-headphones-under-30/

Edit --- re-reading the review, it is not clear if the Monoprice 8320 (108320) quality has fallen in absolute or relative terms. Unclear if the Monoprice no longer sounds the same as in prior years OR instead if the quality and price of other earphones have improved relative to the same sounding Monoprice. The wording of the review refers to the sound quality, so I assume in both cases other earphones are now preferred in the under 20 dollar range.

Last edited:

weenerdoggs

What's Up Dogg?
I bought a pair of Shure earbuds which sound great. They aren't cheap but they are durable and the sound quality is excellent. I think their line starts at $69, I believe mine were $79 when I bought them and now are $99.

I like to buy quality and but it just once so I went with these. Good thing there are lots of earbuds to chose from. If you go with Shure you will definitely be satisfied.

Happy Hunting!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom