EarCandy Buzz Bomb

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by bluesaxe, Feb 13, 2006.

1. bluesaxe

bluesaxe Member

I am seriously considering an Earcandy Buzz Bomb to be my 3rd cab to go with my revised approach to amps / cabs.

For Amps, I currently have a 65 Fender Showman Head, a 1976 Marshall JMP 50w Head, and soon a Bad Cat Cub head.

For cabs, I've got a Marshall 1960TV cab w/ Greenbacks and a Dr. Z 2x10. I'd like to get a 2x12 cab to round out the stable.

I'd love to hear from anyone who has any experience with Earcandy cabs.

I'm mostly a blues / jazz player with a little classic rock thrown in for fun. I play mostly strats and teles.

How would you rate the tonality of the cab (bottom / mid / lows)? Is it harsh? Does it thump, or is it tight? How detailed is it? What speakers are in the one you have experience with?

Thanks a bunch for your help!

bluesaxe

2. bluesaxe

bluesaxe Member

Just bumpin' this one back up. Someone here has to have *some* experience with these cabs.

Thanks for your help!

bluesaxe

3. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

Gimme a couple weeks and I'll have some experience. My cab is due to be shipped on Thursday. :)

4. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

I'm amazed that more folks haven't chimed in.

When I was in the market for a 2x12, these looked pretty nice. But I play a completely different style. It is my impression that these are more for the Rock/Metal crowd. Not to say that with some decent speakers, it wouldn't sound great, but jazz/blues are not really it's forte. (Welcome dissention here.)

5. bluesaxe

bluesaxe Member

This is what I'm thinking - a ported closed back cab is for detuned death metal. That being said, some of the reviews on H-C sound like these cabs could be used for jazz and blues.

Weren't a lot of the Dumble cabs ported and closed backed?

Thanks for your help!

bluesaxe

6. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

Like I said, I'm sure you CAN use them, but why if there are better options? I read some of those reviews as well, and my impression was that most of those players were *mostly* metal folks who said they dabbled in blues/jazz.

I don't have one, but you might be better off with an Avatar Cab with that cool option of removable open or closed back. It's a nice bit of flexibility to have. Then you can basically build one exactly to your speaker specs, etc.

Price is right on Avatar too.

In the end, it's all fun!
    EP

7. lespaul97

lespaul97 Member

I just ordered an empty 2x10 that I plan on putting in some rangin cajuns. I am sure that it will sound awesome but for now I play the waiting game.

8. aleclee

I own an open backed Avatar 2x12 as well as a non-EarCandy ported closed back 2x12 (in addition to a closed back Avatar 2x12).

I'm no jazzer (I play in a roots rock band) but I will say that I generally prefer the cleans in my ported 2x12 to those of my open-backed cab . . . not to mention the driven tones of the ported cab are suhweet. That's actually why I ordered a Buzz Bomb: for my purposes, a ported 2x12 seems to be ideal and I want another cab with those specs because my #1 lives in our rehearsal space.

9. ungarn

ungarn Member

My buddy has an EarCandy cab mated to a Lee Jackson Metaltronix head. His recordings just have so much crunch and definition now. His Marshall and other cabs are collecting dust right now. Talk to Tim at EarCandy, he can best tell you what wood and speaker combinations will work best, especially if you can describe/provide the desired tone.

Good luck!

10. aleclee

Mine finally came in yesterday. It's a big mofo but sounds huuuge.

IMO, the cleans are great. It sounds airy but in a different way than an open-backed cab. Haven't yet tried it with my Two Rock yet, though. That's really my benchmark clean tone.

And then there are the distorted tones. They're huge without being woofy and I don't hear the honk I found in the G-Flex. This puppy moves air like very few cabs I've played. Even at modest volume, it retains its bigness.

Me likey!

11. Erik

Erik Member

I play a Splawn Quick Rod through my Buzzbomb...not exactly death metal, but hard rock/metal. If you can get past the looks of the cab, it is money well spent (IMO). I have 3 4x12's at my disposal (Mesa Standard, Traditional & Marshall 1960A)...the Buzzbomb gets the nod everytime. There is something about that 2x12 that makes it project like crazy and sound as deep and full as a 4x12. There is no flub or woofiness to the bass, it stays very tight even when pushed hard.

FWIW, I have a V30 and an Eminence Man-O-War in the cab. As for Jazz...sorry, I can't help you much there as it really isn't my thing. I have a Voodoo Modded Road King with a great clean channel which sounds good through the Buzzbomb...but I can't say whether or not it would be up to your standards.

12. JMP2203

JMP2203 Member

Erik,

did you tried the Buzzbomb with two V30´s in there before mix them with the Man o war?

Thanks

13. mlynn02

mlynn02 Member

i have a buzzbonb that i've used for about a year or so and it's a great cab. much bigger sounding than my two rock cab was and bigger sounding than the avatars i've tried. mine came loaded with emi texas heats and i mostly play clean to classic rock stuff. lot's of jazz and semi-gritty stuff as well. it sounds very nice with my two rock custom reverb as well. i eventually took the texas heats out and put some cheaper emi legends in there, but it still sounds really good.

the only 2x12 cab i found that i like much better is my budda. it's noticeably better than the earcandy in every way. i'm not sure how much of that is due to the budda phat 12 speakers or the cab itself though, i haven't fully experimented with swapping the speakers.

i'm actually tempted to sell the earcandy, so let me know if you'd consider buying one second hand.

-matt

14. JMP2203

JMP2203 Member

do you have pics? specs?

thanks

15. Erik

Erik Member

I did...but curiosity got the best of me. :) I really do like the way the two sound together, but if I had to choose one, I'd probably go with the Man-O-War with my Splawn. The Quick Rod is a very mid-heavy amp...it seems to like the MOW a bit better for the lows.

16. Phineas

Phineas Member

Matt -

if you ever get a chance to figure if it's the budda cab or speakers that make all the difference i'd love to know. i'm thinking about an earcandy myself and up to now i haven't found any reason not to go with it for what i'm doing.

17. hitchcockblonde

hitchcockblonde Supporting Member

I'm mighty pleased with my Ear Candy Sovereign. It's a 1-12, Emi Red Fang. Tim Paulsen's a nice guy, the build quality is impeccable, and the sound is quite... well, it doesn't really have any pronounced qualities, and I meant that in a good way. Very linear, not too bright or bassy. The speaker kinda sounds compressed when it's pushed, but I think that's the result of the Red Fang in a closed-back cabinet.

18. mlynn02

mlynn02 Member

nah, i never experimented, because i already have both. my suspicion is that the biggest difference is the speakers. from what i was told the phat12 is kind of like a lead80 crossed with a vin30. perhaps? i don't know that much about speakers, so i can't say for sure.

19. John Czajkowski

John Czajkowski Member

Man, it seems to be all about speakers and cabs today on the gearpage for me. Anyway, as I mentioned this in a related thread about Eminence speakers, I am using two 1x12 Earcandy cabs in the studio for my CD and I really love them. I haven’t owned the other two leading brands, but these are really doing the job. For my music with Hectic Watermelon, I need to get a range of tones from clean chicken-pickin’ to the detuned buttrock thing. With these two cabs loaded with a Texas Heat and a Swamp Thang with a few mic options, I’m good to go. I will second that Tim Paulson’s an easy guy to deal with. I am thinking about getting two of his 2x12s, but I am also looking into the VHTs as they are a bit lighter! Damn it middle-aged back! Thou vexeth me again!