Earcandy soverign

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by drewtunes, Jul 1, 2006.

1. drewtunes

drewtunes Member

HI All, I'm a newbie to the GP. Does anyone have any comments on the earcandy soverign 1x12 cab? Can you compare it to a standard front loaded 1x12 closed back cab?

Thanks,
    Drew

2. drummondrs

drummondrs Member

I have one. Its an ok cab and sorry I can't compare. But I do suggest you do not order with Earcandy. I got the worst service imaginable. He told me he sent it two times, I got told it would be sent in Nov. and didn't get it till late Feb.

3. Nomadgtr

Nomadgtr Member

I waiting for a pair of 1x12 sovereigns myself. I too have some issues about the service however with regards to ship and build times. Basically, I haven't been able to get a straight answer from the guy regarding when they'll be done.

4. 6AM

6AM Supporting Member

5. neastguy

neastguy Supporting Member

wow, when I ordered my 1x12 from him a couple years ago Tim was great.. sounds like he's got too much on his plate... anyhow, I have a EC 1x12 with a red fang and it sounds dam big and warm and clear.... dont use it much anymore though argh!!... I use my Highway 61 for gigs and sometimes I connect my H&K up to the EC cab

6. G'OlPeachPhan

G'OlPeachPhan Member

Wow, I guess I have done business with both of the two cab builders that have just about the worst reputation in the business... Sultone and Earcandy.

The Sultone cab is beautiful, and everything you have heard is true... but unfortunately EVERYTHING you've heard is true... including the complete lack of reliability and communication. Beautiful cab, and Bill is a nice enough guy when you can get a hold of him, but he is a terrible business person.

I'm really surprised to read/hear this negative press about Tim at EarCandy though... My two experiences buying cabs from him were exactly the opposite. In fact, we've communicated so many times through those two transactions that we got to know each other quite well to the point that I'd consider him a friend. His cabs are really nice, and in my experience Tim has been amongst the best in the business to deal with, but maybe he's gotten too busy?...

The reality show... that's a whole different topic altogether. Come on Tim, get real.

7. Nomadgtr

Nomadgtr Member

I would like to see this post figure prominently on that reality show. I do get the impression that Tim's popularity is causing him significant delays in which case it probably would be prudent to hire some additional help there even if it's part time. Judging from others experience with Tim it would appear the steady communication has fallen off as he's become more busy. I only hear from him if I engage him.

I too have about $750 invested with Tim which of course you pay in full up front and it's now been 9 weeks into the process with no solid completion date. The last one was it was supposed to be finished week before last and shipping at the end of that week. He hasn't replied to my email inquiry from last week yet so I suspect he's trying to avoid committing to something concrete at this point.
    :(

On the other hand I have a 4x12 that is just finishing up with Stone Age Custom Cabinets (www.stoneagecustomcabinets.com ) and I've been extremely happy working with John there on that project. Had I known Earcandy was going to be this way I would had John take care of my 1x12's too. As soon as I get the 4x12 I'll post a review. John's a super guy and works crazy hours too. I get emails from him at 4am sometimes! The guy loves his work and it shows. :dude

8. Scottone

Scottone Silver Supporting Member

Me too:rotflmao

Believe it or not, I had good experiences both times and the Sovereign 1x12 is a really nice cab (the Sultone was a rack cabinet).

It sounds like Earcandy is definitely going through some growing pains.

Good luck to everyone in getting their cabinets.

9. G'OlPeachPhan

G'OlPeachPhan Member

:jo :) I guess we got lucky from the sound of it. I had to really keep on Bill to get my cab... After way too many promised and missed deadlines, I finally started sending two e-mails a day until it showed up.

My experiences with Tim have been the polar opposite, but it does sound like he needs to hire some more help. You have to spend money to make money. Problem is, even if you're willing to spend the money, good help can be hard to find. I don't know what the actual case may be, but if the rumors are true, maybe he should spend more time looking for good people to hire so he can fill his orders rather than trying to get his own reality show... To each his own, but it sounds like the number of pissed off people is growing.

10. GuitarGuy510

GuitarGuy510 Member

I just spoke with Tim yesterday and talked to him about this. Seems they were having problems with one of his employees and he had to fire him. That could explain some of the delays. As a person I will say Tim is a great guy, so I know any delay is probably something that is out of his control, plus the fact that each cab is HANDMADE puts the whole time factor into perspective. As long as my cabs come out as nicely as I've heard they do, I'll be a super happy camper. ;)

11. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

If I had a dollar...................

M.E.

12. Variable

Variable Member

How long did Tim say it was going to take? The ordering page says 6 weeks wait time right now, so times 2 cabs would be 12 weeks/3 months?

I know he had some issues with employees, so hopefully that's been cleared up. Do keep in mind that their shop got flooded last week with the big storms that raged through Indiana, though Tim tells me none of the cabs came anywhere near the water. He also told me they're all working on ways to speed up production, though there are certain things that can't be avoided (time it takes for glue to dry, for example).

Anyway, I hope mine doesn't take longer than six weeks!

-Russ

13. Tim Paulsen

Tim Paulsen Member

Hey guys, i was alerted to this thread by a customer. I usually NEVER come into these threads but i wanted to let everyone know, everything is fine, I would wrather have a rep for running late than for sounding like crap. Running late, I do, sounding like crap I do not do. Hey guys, I get orders in and then they get changed When people do that, pieces have to be made all over again, im not going to tear somthing off and re do it, thats not fair to what is being made.

Im sorry if we are running behind, "if i had a dollar" yes sir, i agree, employees,. floods, electricity going out, bla bla bla, people that have posted in here about being upset, have been emailing me at the same time about head cab problems and speaker changes out the wazoo, which is fine, but, it takes time when i have all your stuff set after 17 emails of what were gonna do for ya, then ya change it after telling me your amp isnt going to be ready for another month to take my time, then the amp comes,you say it sucks to hang on.....what do you guys think im going to do? When taking our time is what we do anyway.

I apreciate all the emails from everyone and changes are a important factor when ordering custom gear, thats what we do, so please dont take this as a rant on changes, its what keeps the lights on around here (well maybe....) as far as the Discovery channel thing goes, This was started by a group of kids in the washington area along with a my space page , I poasted the thread in the discovery channel forum where i used to hang out and talk about boats from time to time because i was asked to. If it does happen, it wont change what or how we do things and you dont see my face all over the web site.
    I know im not cool, im just a cab maker and everyone wants thier stuff now, like myself. So, as far as a reality show, who cares, if it does or doesnt happen.

I apreciate everyones business and patience and will say there are no excuses. I am a person, in late november my family got very sick and we lost my grandmom, it devistated our business, family, schedule, etc etc. So theres the .99 cent excuse for the top post. I apologize for that, you could have emailed or called for a refund or status and gotten it.

And chad, thanks for the kind words, everyone who has cabs on order will feel as lucky as you do when they get them.

Everyone please keep in mind a few things and this is not a rant or unfriendly muse of time, I wish you could hear my tone of voice, I always get misunderstood in these forums.
    1, when you call, we talk, i take the time to see whats up and what your trying to do, we dont try to sell the most of what we have sitting around.
    2, when we say its hand made we arent kidding, its all tuned to ring the same etc etc, i dont want this to sound like a sales pitch.
    3. When people like our grandmom passes away (it is a family run business) yes sirs and mams, it effects us as it would anyone. And when 70 MPH winds rip your roof panels off and dump 50 gallons of rain into your main assembly area, yea, thats a small set back. lol
    4. I will not rush a cab out the door and have it sound flabby, id wrather be letting someone know, itis being done right than "get ready to be disapointed"
    5. Reality show......watch what happes to that thread over the next few days, I will do the best i can to have it pulled, me and my wife have felt the same way the whole time, may be fun, but too gimmicky, whats next, earcandy sunglasses in walmart with flames, no, believ me NO.
    6. earcandy is my life, talking to you guys about how your new amp was so disapointing, giving you over 120 bucks in discounts so you could afford other gear, free shipping to military , do you guys realize all the little tone tips i know of , thanks to talking to all you guys!!! I share them all, i think i have sold 100 valve juniors for epi... Ill be sleeping here until everyone in here has shipped, email me at 3 am and see what you get, unless im in the shop, Ill answer.
    Me and my dog sleep up here a couple nights a week when its not so hot out. I promise we are a salt of the earth type of company, c'mon, where are my louisiana guys , 13 guys we replaced rigs for for free becuase they got ruined in the floods from katrina, that set us back because we did all the replacements for free, never said a word, never asked for a dime, never complained, they were our cabs, we felt bad but didnt want to make it a sales pitch, but we are a good company. or i wouldnt be here.

Just please let me know what we can do to make this better, no this is not good and yes, your rep will put you out like a bad light bulb, my rep is all i have, and i felt it was good and i was on a good communication base with you guys, apparently not, I sincerely apologize.

Hammer me guys, let me have it, I need the truth to stay in business, this is all i know, and all i do, im not a venture capitolist, im a guitar player and a cab maker 24-7 so, im very respectfully and humbly coming to you to ask ......other than whipping them out the door, what can we do?

Man guys, Im really sorry, 219 362 3200 thats earcandys number, anyone needing status on thier cabs is free to call at anytime, 219 369 1805 is my home number, if you want to crank call me, please feel free to do so, i feel angst and frustration in this thread and I need to help dissovle it somehow. But im not going to rush it and send it out and have it not be amazing, then the wait was for nothing and then this thread will go from " it took to long " to, " it sounded bad, or wasnt exaclty what i ordered"

Thanks to everyone for your words, it hits home hard.

oh, thanks to TGP for letting me post this.

14. squeally dan

squeally dan Member

Wow! Now I want to order an Earcandy cab!

15. GuitarGuy510

GuitarGuy510 Member

Hey Tim,

I'm TRULY sorry man, my post was a) a bit premature and b) under the influence of codine! :( As some of the members know I had shingles a couple weeks back and was on codine, guess I shouldn't have been posting during that time as I was really out of it! :crazy :NUTS REALLY sorry to not only Tim and his company, but other people on here who appreciate valid opinions about new gear and might have gotten the wrong impression about Tim or EarCandy cabinets. Tim is a stand-up guy and a pretty good friend thus far in the build process of the cabinets. As I said before, I have no problem waiting for a fine, hand-crafted product and look forward to my new cabinets to complete my amp setup. Look for my write-up upon receiving the cabinets, I'll make sure it's thorough too. Thanks guys, and again, sorry Tim didn't mean to come off sounding like an a$$ crack there bro!!! Note to self: next time I'm on high amounts of painkillers stay away from the computer. :nono

16. GuitarGuy510

GuitarGuy510 Member

Just wanted to add that Tim's communication is top notch.... I send him questions all the time asking about what different speakers would sound best with various music styles and he always has the answer for me, and I usually hear back within 15 minutes - 1 hours time from when I SENT the email! In between all that he is cranking out the cabs as fast as he can. I hope you see this Tim, you ARE appreciated bro and I can't WAIT for my Buzzbombs.... going to sound AND look badass! :D ;)

17. dbeeman

dbeeman Gold Supporting Member

I bought an EarCandy for my son last Christmas. Tim did a great job. Communications was great - even threw in a little bonus for cable my son.

Guys, if you have not run your own business or been directly involved with someone who has, you have no idea how hard it is.

Earcandy are great cabs at a great price

18. trucks

trucks Member

I have an Earcandy sovereign which I totally love. Extremely well built and huge tone! Tim also did some custom work for me. Well, that was a head cabinet. I think almost every Earcandy cab is custom with all of the options available.

My interactions with Tim were extremely positive. We spoke on the phone several times most of the time on his dime. He was extremely helpful with helping me choose materials and the right speaker. When DHL dinged the hardware on my cab, I had a replacement corner the next day with Tim's apologies! It was not a big deal to me, but it was to Tim.

I know delays are frustrating, but stuff happens to small businesses especially craftsman and artists. Bottom line is when your Earcandy cab arrives, you got Tim standing behind it.

19. G'OlPeachPhan

G'OlPeachPhan Member

Tim, you're the good stuff man. Nobody ever likes everybody all the time. Don't sweat the small stuff, as guys like you always come out shining in the big picture; nice of you to post here though and let everybody know what's goin' on!

Take care my friend -- it's been too long!
    Chad

20. Variable

Variable Member

+1

I can't reiterate it enough; good help is hard to find. Especially in skilled trades. Not everyone who works for you shares the same vision; to find someone who sees their job as more than just a job is rare indeed. Back when I was a manager, I can remember some days where I'd have to spend more time getting my employees to actually do their jobs than I did doing what *I* was supposed to do! I can't imagine how hard my job would have been with the weather intruding as well.

It's hard to do a burnout when your engine is one piston short of a V8 :) That said, I'm glad that Tim has the honesty to come out and let us know what's going on so we at least have a reason for any delays. From everything I've heard, the cabs are definately worth the wait.

-Russ