• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!
  • If you are seeing this, you are on the new TGP servers. Bear with us as we work out any issues related to the move. The end result should be a far better snappier experience on TGP. *Notice: You can close this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner.

Earl Slick & Lee Rocker at the Iridium, NYC 2/13

Niblos

Check out Earl's brilliant playing on the Link Wray-ish "MEN WITHOUT SHAME" (Phantom,Rocker & Slick) Such an underrated guitarist and those p-90s sound sweet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIsbPxkBW-M&feature=related

What an amazing show - make that BOTH shows for me;) It marked the first time Lee Rocker and Earl Slick shared the stage in 27 years! Lee's wife said she believes they are supposed to come back again with Slim Jim Phantom in the near future. Extremely nice chaps and a crowd of mostly friends and family- even snagged a Slick pick (NEW YORK DOLLS version) after the show. What an evening to remember. The Iridium stafff made you feel like old friends and Lou Pallo is such a fantastic musician. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOk5c3Q3Iik&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

Finally went to AIRLINE DINER (used as the backdrop to GONNA BALL and GOODFELLAS) this time around - great place with fantastic hamburgers (2 inches thick) and clam chowder. Check it out sometime. The staff said they have folks come all the way from Japan to visit.

Last edited:

Scott L

Gold Supporting Member
I was really looking forward to this show, but ended up sick as dog.

mc5nrg

Silver Supporting Member
Props for Brophy Dale who has regularly played with Lee Rocker.

BJW

Glad to see that Phantom, Rocker & Slick is being issued on cd. I converted "Men..." from youtube to mp3 to rock in my ipod, what a great song. Thanks for posing!

stratoquack

Flashlights, flash floods, never will be found! Hidin' in the marshes, runnin' from the hounds!!
What a great "record"

Niblos

Props for Brophy Dale who has regularly played with Lee Rocker.
Let me tell ya - I have and always will be a gretsch man but when I caught Brophy with Lee's band in Sept. 2007 at Hideaway BBQ, I thought his custom tele equipt with bigsby sounded more like a gretsch than Buzz's white falcon! And that darn guitar never went out of tune! Amazing player!

Niblos

Wow, I haven't even thought about that Phanton, Rocker & Slick record in years. I wore the vinyl out, but was glad to see they're just making it available now for the first time on CD: http://www.leerocker.com/index.php/the-store

Wish I knew about this show in NYC!
Funny - I had both of them to personalize my Phantom, Rocker & Slick LP but forgot to ask them if it was ever going to be released on cd! Thanks for the heads up! I have to have one.

Sweetfinger

Silver Supporting Member
IIRC, "Men Without Shame" was the throwaway track that was written quickly and zipped off in the studio as an afterthought. That was the story anyway. It is IMO the best song they came up with. Nice to see Lee still has that bass!

coldfingaz

Yup, just got mine a few days ago & meant to post back to this thread.

"Men Without Shame" has been blasting in my car daily since then. I also see that they're re-uniting & to play at Summerfest in Milwaukee.

Niblos

Wow - how cool is that? Was up there last year and toured the PBR site. That should be a great show! I am trying to find other dates - let me know if you see anymore.

Gretsch6136

Are they gonna re-issue the second album, Covergirl too? Got both on vinyl.

I've got Men Without Shame on 12" vinyl maxi-single I was clearly a big fan of their's back in the day.

sahhas

Silver Supporting Member
ok slick's framus guitar is pretty cool
loved the clip.
loved the phantom rocker & slick album back in the 80s. i remember getting it on cassette through columbia house deal....listened to it all the time when i used to play backgammon w/ my bro.

that album and jeff beck's flash were the only albums of mine my bro would listen to. ha

Niblos

Yeah - didn't know what it was during the show but did some research and discovered it's the price of two white falcons - $6500!!! Ouch! Love the p-90s though. I would love to try one. Slick really sounded amazing on his red one and also had a black one as backup.

I have some pretty decent shots from the show including Slick's pedalboard. If you shoot me an email at jcook27@nc.rr.com , I'll share them with you as I'm not savvy enough to post.

Trending Topics