Earlier breakup speaker

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Stephen0351, Dec 6, 2016.

1. Stephen0351

Stephen0351 Supporting Member

I have a Louis Electric Princetone amp, right now it has 6L6 tubes in it and an Austin Speaker Works Crossroads speaker. With the 6L6's its 28 watts. I have a set of 6V6's Im going to put in it that will bring it down to 18 watts. Im looking to get a warm blues breakup tone so I want to get a speaker that will breakup earlier, something in say a 30 watt speaker, I think the Crossroads is a 65 watt speaker and is more of a british marshall sound design. What speaker is better for a blues tone, SRV, The Hoax, KWS ect. I had a blues jr a while back that had a celestion g12h 30 watt made in England speaker in it that sounded pretty good, would that be a good choice or is there something better? Thanks all

2. lemonman

lemonman Supporting Member

H30 is a good speaker, but it's brother the Greenback breaks up much faster; same cone, smaller magnet. Lower wattage and smaller magnets generally signal earlier breakup (and lower efficiency). Something along the lines of the Jensen C12Q/P12Q and all the aftermarket versions of these (Weber, WGS, etc) would be a good choice if you want an American voiced speaker.

3. candid_x

candid_x Supporting Member

The Princetone/Columbia has surprisingly high headroom, nothing like a Fender Princeton. 6V6's do bring some OD, depending on guitar/pickups, but at pretty seriously high volumes only. It's designed to be a clean amp.

Each to their own but I've never heard a speaker breakup that I've liked and never use a speaker for the purpose. I prefer pedals.

Good luck with your quest.

71strat likes this.
  4. garret

garret Member

5. Stephen0351

I do have a cpl pedals for some dirt, King of Tone and TS808

6. LaceSensor1

LaceSensor1 Member

7. candid_x

candid_x Supporting Member

Just curious, does it have the earlier Celestion G12H30 or the current Jupiter 12LC?

I'm using a Maxon OD9 (modded) for clean boost, Soul Food for some crunch, and a Suhr Riot for distortion, alone or together.

I'd think one of the alnicos mentioned would get you there, except the 20 watt is playing it too close, and not near enough for the 6L6's. Only problem I have with alnico is they compress to the point of evaporating into a mix if pushed hard, unless it's one of the big boys, like an Altec, but then you don't get the distortion you're looking for. John designed the Riot for clean Fender type amps. It's been my go-to for several years; the original, not the Reloaded, which sounds too high gain for me.

Good luck finding your sound.

8. Stephen0351

Update: I got a different amp, a tweed deluxe, gives me the breakup Im looking for!

9. bigben55

bigben55 Member

The Weber Sig 12 starts breaking up before you even plug the amp in, I think.

Had a Sig 12A-S in a Tweed deluxe and it sounded pretty good. But not full band giggable unmiked.

10. Stephen0351

Now thats an early breakup speaker!!! If I need one I will definately check those out. The amp I have now has a 25 watt Jupiter speaker

11. AXEnGEAR4J

AXEnGEAR4J Supporting Member

one of my vintage fav's is the G12M25 or G12H30 w/pulsonic cones

12. wyatt

wyatt Member

Yeah, any of the Weber Vintage series (or Jensens) with the light smooth cone will distort very early, quite lo-fi.