earliest SS amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by stratopastor, Jan 14, 2006.

1. stratopastor

stratopastor Member

not a big deal, just curious... you're knowledgeable group, so riddle me this; who made the first SS guitar amp? Not a question about quality (I assume it was ghastly), just curious to know how quickly someone productionised a SS guitar amp after the development of the transistor in the late 40s.

2. pepi

pepi Member

I'm guessing but I seem to remember the Silvertone amps coming out SS in the 60s.

3. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

The 1st generation SS Fenders are the ones I remember seeing first. Man, they sucked all right - set back SS in most people's minds for decades.

4. cap'n'crunch

cap'n'crunch Member

There were some in the late 50's. Sorry, I can't rememer where I read that.

5. paddywhack

paddywhack Silver Supporting Member

...the first large production company of SS's that i remember were Kustoms in the mid/late sixties...man they were everywhere...a lot of guys couldn't wait to chuck their Supers, Twins, Showmans Bandmasters Deluxes and Vibrlouxes and go to roll&tuck heaven...go figure!!???

6. stratopastor

stratopastor Member

come on, chaps... I expected more specifics! seriously though, thanks for the answers so far...

7. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

I'm pretty sure the earliest Vox solid-state amps (the T-60 bass amp I think came out first) were from 1964. I've no idea if they were the first, although I don't definitely know of any older ones - but they don't look all that primitive inside, not really like a 'first generation' product to me (I could be wrong). Not very reliable, but they actually do sound quite nice - a rich, warm, very 'vintage' tone - athough with very little real volume for a '60 watt' amp. I was working on one with all its original transistors not long ago, very unusual. There was nothing at all wrong with it except that it had been left unused for 40 years... just needed cleaning up and filter caps. Maybe that's why it survived.

8. hunter

hunter Supporting Member

The earliest I remember seeing around town was the Standel stuff. There was a local guitar shop that sold em way back in the early/mid 60s.

hunter

9. LaXu

LaXu Member

It'd also be interesting to hear what the first solid-state amps cost. Were they as expensive as tube amps?

10. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

Believe it or not, the first solid state amplifiers were not transistor. Alexanderson invented the magnetic amplifier, which was used in 1919 for the first two-way radio voice transmission.

If anyone ever tried using one for guitar, they would have found that they had invented the distortion box instead.

11. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

But, for guitar amps, I believe it was STandel in perhaps 62 or 63?

12. FlyingVBlues

FlyingVBlues Gold Supporting Member

Yep - Standel introduced the Studio X amp towards the end of 1963. They beat Vox by a year, and Fender and Ampeg by almost 2 years.

FVB

13. deeval

deeval Supporting Member

I had a small Vox SS That my Mom purchased for me at the old Ace Music in Santa Monica,Ca store,and that amp as I can remember sounded really cool as I was just a Beginner and everyone was using Standels and Vox Super,s
    I also had anAcoustic 150 SS and it sounded good also,
    I had a Job when I was 18yrs old at the first Acoustic company On Redwood Ave in Venice,Ca
    And they where using Altec Lansing speakers and Emminace at the time,and I remember doing a special order of Cabs with 6 Ten inch Altec speaker Cabs,Man I wish I had some of those Now,That was a very small company,and all circuits were done by hand,just like Fender was doing,wire was run to componets not to much PCB very sparse,this was 1967-1969:RoCkIn