early 70's LP GT Deluxe: great player

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Anje, Jun 15, 2005.

1. Anje

Anje Supporting Member

I thought it would nice to do a little thread on this guitar, as I sometimes see them underestimated:

[​IMG]

early 70's LP GT Deluxe, with nice natural aging :)
    I have had it for some time now, and I really like it. Great! player.

Very woody tone, that you strongly feel even unplugged, a little more "bassy" and "plain" than my R9 for instance, but without being muddy or too "closed"
    sounds real good with the mini humb. that match the wood nicely
    very punchy and always focused

if you see one try it, you may like it :)

2. dazco

dazco Member

I had that exact LP in about 77'. Mine was a 72' which was the last year before they started using maple necks ! Think i'm kiddin? Look around........some if not all 73's and up (to what point in time i dunno) had maple.
    Anyway, i loved that guitar till a friend dropped his bass and the tuner tore a line 6" long across the face right down to the wood. It was mint before that and i couldn't look at it anymore and sold it a week later. By the way, i paid $350 for it used but mint with a case back then !:eek:

3. guitarmook

guitarmook Member

While mine's not an early 70s (mines a 76), I still like it pretty much...

:D

4. dwes

dwes Member

Cool guitar. My first good electric was a '75 just like that. Wish I still had it.

Dave

5. Scottone

Scottone Silver Supporting Member

I have a '75 that has been re-finned in black and I believe the neck has been shaved because there is no volute.

I really like this guitar and kept it over an early all-gold Les Paul Classic.

I have noticed that the price of these has crept up significantly, so they seem to be getting some respect.

6. Jim Jones

Jim Jones Member

Nice looking guitar, Anje!

Out of curiosity, how heavy is it? I have a late-70's Deluxe that's got to be pushing 12lbs.! :)

Jim

7. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

I have a late '69-early '70 goldtop I bought new as a kid using my paper route money. It was my first good guitar and the only electric I used all through high school and college. Pretty good sounding, but no longer my favorite LP. Too much sentimental value to consider selling it though....

[​IMG]

8. Mark Kane

Mark Kane Silver Supporting Member

Here's mine, 9 1/2 lbs. I put money down on it in Nov. of '69 and paid it off in Feb. '70. I immediately routed it for big buckers and stripped it and put a burst finish on it. Just this spring I had it reffined back to gold and distressed a little. My fav guitar of all time.

[​IMG]

9. Anje

Anje Supporting Member

what a beauty Mark :cool:

10. Scottone

Scottone Silver Supporting Member

That looks like a sweet refin job....where did you get it done?

11. Anje

Anje Supporting Member

sorry I never weighted it, but yes it is on the heavy side too :)

12. erksin

erksin Member

I have a beautiful lefty '78 Deluxe in CSB - it's my main guitar. What has been mentioned about the resonance is true in my case as well - my Deluxe VERY loud unplugged, and the whole guitar vibrates when playing chords. One-piece Mahogany back, three-piece top, three-piece Maple neck - I don't know how the waves make it through all those different pieces of wood, but they do. I think mine is around 11lbs or so - never actually weighed it.

The mini-HBs are killer pickups - and the volume and tone controls are perfectly voiced for this guitar (300K pots).

I recently had mine refretted with DiMarzio Jumbo wire and had a new bone nut installed. Added a Tone Pros bridge, RS aluminum TP, Tone Pros locking studs, and replaced the replacement '70s Rotomatics with Keystones.

The only thing I'd still like to do sometime is to have the pups vacuum wax potted - they are microphonic little suckers. The problem is I can't put it down long enough to yank the pups out...

13. Mcclassic

Mcclassic Member

Nice guitars, I currently have 2 one '76 goldtop and '77 refinish (badly but nice enouhg) in natural. Out of the 2 guitars the refinish has a incredible tone in the neck pick-up very blues...
    :dude